Just completed
  • Resi 7. Mentioned in the Currently Playing thread that I was finding it a bit of a slog. Well I slogged on until the end this afternoon. My main gripe is that after playing the demo I wrongly had the idea it would more of an atmospheric creepy puzzly sneak-a-thon rather than full on shotgunning monsters.

Still glad I played it but a little disappointed.

Also am I the only idiot who didn't realise the birdcages in the safe rooms were unlocked with the antique coins? I only realised this at the very last opportunity so in the end only managed to upgrade a couple of things over the entire game. I was complaining before about it being a bit hard. That might have had something to do with it. I thought they were unlocked with lock-picks and the antique coins were just collectibles. Was this telegraphed in any way and I just missed it? Or am I just a moran?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Renegade Ops (PC)

This left a slightly frustrated taste in my mouth.

First couple of levels had [9] written all over it - great fun careening around, visually great, and just fun - plus off-the-wall story which you clearly didn't need to care about so you really could just blast around.  Vehicles and gunplay both getting a thumbs up.

... But then it just kinda repeated.  Not nearly enough variety (OK - different background palettes - but they all played the same), and the levelling up was all somewhat superficial.

And then the last level annoyed me in particular, by (a) being 20 minutes long with no checkpointing if you died [hint: I died], and (b) stopping being fun cos it was all narrow corridors, which also made it hard to evade any of the fricking gunfire coming your way.  Gah.

So yeah it's ended up an [8] and in fact nearly one lower.  Would have been far more comfortable without that last level at all, and a bit more variety, or e.g. forcing you to use more than one character, and more than fleeing use of the helicopter, and it could have been something special.  Close but no cigar.

Just realised that avalanche = just cause creators.  Makes perfect sense.  Different perspective, but loads of similarities - they're again, fun gameplay/sandbox/driving, but then fail to do enough with it, plus shonky physics.

Cheers for the recommendation though, @moot_geeza!  I really did enjoy the start.
  • pc71 wrote:
    Finished dying light last night.played it co op with two gaming mates. Not the best game ever but some funny zombie moments. Finished main game expansion can wait till after summer. Still, first game finished this year due to battlefield...

I played through DL in coop too and found it a great laugh. I think it probably ruined any tension they might have gone for in points but the rest of it worked brilliantly as a coop lark. Trying to protect your mate as he collects a drop surrounded by tons of zombies but then just accidentally setting them all on fire. Having a parkour race to the next checkpoint. Drop kicking a zombie so the other player can finish it off.
    All great stuff. I hope they do another one or at least something that builds off the coop experience they made.
  • Firewatch (windows)
    Great little game. Essentilly just a point and click/walking/job simulator with a decent story and excellent voice acting.
    Quite enjoyed the hiking and exploring, pacing of the story was good too. There's also a whodunnit mystery in there that's easy to solve but nonetheless involving.
    Some plotholes are left open in the end but overall it doesn't spoil the fun.
    Recommended.

7 scorching firecrackers out of 10
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Borderlands 2 (PC)

Tbf, this was really fun. I am ashamed it took me 4 years to not bounce off it considering I remember pre-ordering it on Steam. I actually enjoyed Handsome Jack's OTT corporate psychoticness by the end (though that could be down to him being pretty solidly presented in Tales from the Borderlands) and it's not often in games you get to somewhat legitimately be called a child killer by said child's father. Felt somewhat bad about it. Whacked the fucker with a hatchet anyway.

Only real complaint is the fun you're having really seems to depend on how comfortable you feel with gun drops. Sometimes I went through a plague of shitty greens and blues and golden keys weren't much good either. Also level difference seems punishing. Even with a 2 or 3 levels difference enemies seemed to punch ridiculously harder/softer and same for yourself.

[8] Shitty Sarcastic Slab cosplays out of [10]
  • I am gonna cross post this here and in Just Completed. I write this for Cinty, my online buddy. I played this bastard game, and I blame you, you magnificent bastard.

I might rework this into some real thoughts later, but... Final Fantasy XV

A review for fans, not first timers!

That means there are spoilers, btw.
    Spoiler:
    So long, Final Fantasy.

[5]
  • tl;dr
    Spoiler:
  • I think if I hadn't been pressured to finish it and I could have enjoyed the hunting and sidequests I may have liked it a lot more. Ev really wants to play it, so I think it obviously comes keen on something special somewhere. If she does, I will copy her endgame save and push on to the post-game content.
  • Ah, fair enough. There's a really cool (but also kinda borked) post-game dungeon which is a lorra fun.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Good write up Bollo. Did you get an unkempt harold handgun perchance? If not go grind one, it's sexy as fuck, bare damage.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Nah that's my lot with it I think. I became attached to a sniper that did +180% damage on critical hits though.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I think if I hadn't been pressured to finish it and I could have enjoyed the hunting and sidequests I may have liked it a lot more.
    I think so. I liked it a bit more than you, but not as much as some. Almost all the best times though involved renting a chocobo for a couple of days and going off exploring. A few side quests, a bit of fishing, some fighting, maybe a base or even a dungeon along the way.

In hindsight it's not even a particularly good open world (Horizon does similar stuff much better, for example), but it was fun in between all the nonsense.

Also think that with all the deserved shit chapter 13 gets, chapter 10-12 often get off lightly. They are after all where it falls apart and the assets dry up. That train shit is unbelievable.
  • Despite everything it was really compelling and the fact there are dungeons I missed really irks me. That at least is testament that there is something good buried there.
  • Just isn't good enough to seem worth going back, unfortunately. I missed plenty too, but put in 40 hours and that'll more than do.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Renegade Ops (PC) This left a slightly frustrated taste in my mouth. First couple of levels had [9] written all over it - great fun careening around, visually great, and just fun - plus off-the-wall story which you clearly didn't need to care about so you really could just blast around.  Vehicles and gunplay both getting a thumbs up. ... But then it just kinda repeated.  Not nearly enough variety (OK - different background palettes - but they all played the same), and the levelling up was all somewhat superficial. And then the last level annoyed me in particular, by (a) being 20 minutes long with no checkpointing if you died [hint: I died], and (b) stopping being fun cos it was all narrow corridors, which also made it hard to evade any of the fricking gunfire coming your way.  Gah. So yeah it's ended up an [8] and in fact nearly one lower.  Would have been far more comfortable without that last level at all, and a bit more variety, or e.g. forcing you to use more than one character, and more than fleeing use of the helicopter, and it could have been something special.  Close but no cigar. Just realised that avalanche = just cause creators.  Makes perfect sense.  Different perspective, but loads of similarities - they're again, fun gameplay/sandbox/driving, but then fail to do enough with it, plus shonky physics. Cheers for the recommendation though, @moot_geeza!  I really did enjoy the start.

There's a chance I didn't finish it.  Started it in co-op with retro, then did a couple more levels solo.
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn

Quite obvious from the thread I've been enjoying this a lot, and in the end even enough to go on and do pretty much everything it has to offer. It's a great and very robust open world game.

Negatives. It's fair to criticise it for following other open world games a bit too closely, with its map full of icons, levelling up, skills tree, light crafting elements, scanning environments etc. The mission structure in particular is reminiscent of Witcher 3. Plus, enemy AI is poor. Machines met in the wild are easy to keep at a distance for the most part, and pick off with arrows. Human opponents are especially bad though, and never offer much threat if you take cover and shoot them down. Also some minor issues navigating scenery as smoothly as you might like. And then the writing and voice acting isn't up to much.

Get beyond the generic open world set up though and it really is its own thing. Most of what it takes from Witcher 3 is the less tedious stuff, and it adds far more enjoyable combat and weapons. It also doesn't try to do everything, but focuses on a few main elements and does them well. Fighting against the robo-beasts is the main area where it really excels. The bigger ones in particular put up a great fight, and it's all about using the whole range of weapons and traps to take them down. Specific components become weak spots that can cause major damage if hit with the right ammo type. Then they can be lured into trip wires, tied down with ropes, set on fire or frozen and so on. You can shoot a weapon off some machines and use it yourself to take them down. Sneak up on one and you can even turn it into an ally before heading into battle the rest of a group. And it all works so well. It was a bit like MGS V for me, the way it leaves you to experiment, and when you think of something and try it and it does what you expect it to (not that it has quite the number of possibilities as MGS V). The machines move and react very believably 99% of the time, and it all keeps running smoothly even when you find yourself being attacked by 3 different groups at once. (It shouldn't be a big thing, but it's remarkable to see a game that runs at a constant speed and only required a small update when I installed it.) Seeing a big guy start to stumble and spark after a long battle is always satisfying. 

So that's great, and the other thing that's great is the world itself, and the scenario they've built around it. It looks amazing, has an excellent range of different landscapes and weather effects, and the whole relationship between the primitive tribes of the present and the mysterious technological past has been well thought through. It's not a good plot overall, but it is a great setting. There's a very strong sense that these tribes have been born from the ruins of an old, more advanced civilisation, and are making their culture out of what was left behind. It's a fun place to explore because of all that, as well as the 'wildlife', whether taking down a herd of machines, finding a new settlement, or climbing a mountain just for the view. And just when you think you've seen all there is, it finds a way to mix things up and create a slightly different challenge. In the end, I probably carried on playing a little too long, and spent too much time going round collecting things for the platinum trophy, but it never stops being a good place to wander. 

Edit: There's also a nice touch if you complete all the side missions
    Spoiler:
    Most of all, I guess, it's a new AAA quality IP, which feels fresh despite some of the generic aspects, and that's something to be welcomed. Very much a 9/10.

Can't forget the fantastic photo mode as well - final word goes to that:

19959396_10155262793160831_7542735458085745669_n.jpg?oh=7c521dd2e809adc87a783755a23cf469&oe=5A094B07
  • That's one that i've not been too fussed about getting added to the list.
  • Fighting against the robo-beasts is the main area where it really excels. The bigger ones in particular put up a great fight, and it's all about using the whole range of weapons and traps to take them down. Specific components become weak spots that can cause major damage if hit with the right ammo type. Then they can be lured into trip wires, tied down with ropes, set on fire or frozen and so on. You can shoot a weapon off some machines and use it yourself to take them down. Sneak up on one and you can even turn it into an ally before heading into battle the rest of a group. And it all works so well. It was a bit like MGS V for me, the way it leaves you to experiment, and when you think of something and try it and it does what you expect it to (not that it has quite the number of possibilities as MGS V). The machines move and react very believably 99% of the time, and it all keeps running smoothly even when you find yourself being attacked by 3 different groups at once. (It shouldn't be a big thing, but it's remarkable to see a game that runs at a constant speed and only required a small update when I installed it.) Seeing a big guy start to stumble and spark after a long battle is always satisfying.

That's pretty much the vital bit to me, everything else is secondary. Great write up.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Fighting against the robo-beasts is the main area where it really excels. The bigger ones in particular put up a great fight, and it's all about using the whole range of weapons and traps to take them down. Specific components become weak spots that can cause major damage if hit with the right ammo type. Then they can be lured into trip wires, tied down with ropes, set on fire or frozen and so on. You can shoot a weapon off some machines and use it yourself to take them down. Sneak up on one and you can even turn it into an ally before heading into battle the rest of a group. And it all works so well. It was a bit like MGS V for me, the way it leaves you to experiment, and when you think of something and try it and it does what you expect it to (not that it has quite the number of possibilities as MGS V). The machines move and react very believably 99% of the time, and it all keeps running smoothly even when you find yourself being attacked by 3 different groups at once. (It shouldn't be a big thing, but it's remarkable to see a game that runs at a constant speed and only required a small update when I installed it.) Seeing a big guy start to stumble and spark after a long battle is always satisfying.

That's pretty much the vital bit to me, everything else is secondary. Great write up.

Agreed. I found the game structure side a bit rote and felt like the actual setpiece design didn't make the best use of the gameplay that it was built around, but what gameplay. I feel the same way about it that I do Dying Light - a fantastically fluid set of mechanics that are reactive, emergent and fun, made by a team that doesn't know how to use them.

The missions I was sent to do? Duff, mainly. But those battles and those controls...lush.

It's one of those games that, as soon as I started playing, I wished for a sequel that handled it better.
  • Little Nightmares

Two in a day! I'd done most of the first section before, but this was basically over in an afternoon.

Looks great and is well creepy, but doesn't have gameplay to back it up. There are only really a few ideas in the whole thing (switches, keys, simple platforming, distracting enemies), which are repeated a number of times even in such a short game. A couple of more imaginative puzzles here and there, but they never develop into anything more substantial. Worse still is the reliance on trial and error - a lot of time spent guessing what to do, dying, restarting, guessing again. Instant deaths when you enter new sections because you didn't know what was coming. Plus imprecise controls and an awkward perspective make simple things unnecessarily tricky. The constant stop-start shatters the atmosphere as well. After a couple of deaths on a section it becomes purely mechanical, no matter what manner of fucked up thing is after you.

The simplicity and shortness needn't be a problem - I recently enjoyed Rime, after all - but there's no momentum and no decent pay-off at the end. It doesn't feel like it's short because it should be, but because they ran out of ideas. So much more should've been done with a strong concept and art style.
  • Firewatch (windows)

I just realised Firewatch's plot is much deeper than I suspected.
    Like a nice delicious layercake.
    Not spoiling anything though.

Apparently the devs are a breakout group from the Telltale team who did Walking Dead S1. It shows in their mature storytelling skills. Totally recommend this hike.

9.0 wildfires out of 10 for ingeniuety
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Just realised LN has paid DLC as well. Cheeky fuckers.
  • So that is Hitman Season 1 technically completed but really nowhere near totally finished. Still got the three bonus missions, escalations, contracts and challenges to go but I have completed every main mission now (mastering the first two as I went).

What a game. That moment at the start of a level is a stunning feeling. You know what you need to do, you know there will be a silly amount of cool ways to do it but you are just left to your own devices. That knowledge in those opening seconds is both liberating and daunting.

The mechanics of the game are fantastic. It can be punishing and a real challenge (Colorado you bastard) but it is fair. Exceptionally fair in fact and this is why it is so much fun exploring new ways of playing levels, taking out targets and exploring different areas. I never felt like the game cheated me in any way, if I was ever spotted it was entirely my fault. A sign of great stealth mechanics.

I can't wait to get back into it and I am already planning ideas and schemes for my next ventures.

Bring on season 2!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finished Breath of the Wild. I'm at a loss now, had such a good time with that game and now it's done. 140 hours of fun and views. I've still missed things, haven't fought all of the different enemy types or played with different armour sets.

Such a great game, think it's time to dig up the list your 100 games thread.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So that is Hitman Season 1 technically completed but really nowhere near totally finished. Still got the three bonus missions, escalations, contracts and challenges to go but I have completed every main mission now (mastering the first two as I went).

What a game. That moment at the start of a level is a stunning feeling. You know what you need to do, you know there will be a silly amount of cool ways to do it but you are just left to your own devices. That knowledge in those opening seconds is both liberating and daunting.

The mechanics of the game are fantastic. It can be punishing and a real challenge (Colorado you bastard) but it is fair. Exceptionally fair in fact and this is why it is so much fun exploring new ways of playing levels, taking out targets and exploring different areas. I never felt like the game cheated me in any way, if I was ever spotted it was entirely my fault. A sign of great stealth mechanics.

I can't wait to get back into it and I am already planning ideas and schemes for my next ventures.

Bring on season 2!

Now go back and revise your goty list
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Firewatch (windows) I just realised Firewatch's plot is much deeper than I suspected. Like a nice delicious layercake. Not spoiling anything though. Apparently the devs are a breakout group from the Telltale team who did Walking Dead S1. It shows in their mature storytelling skills. Totally recommend this hike. 9.0 wildfires out of 10 for ingeniuety

They were also funded by one of my favourite Mac App developers, Panic, who make Transit (FTP app) and Coda (dev editor). I don't knowwhy, but I like this.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    If you licked that then get hype for Tacoma.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mmmmm that's next month, right?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's actually a framed piece of og Tacoma art signed by the fullbright gang up in my hallway. Art was based on the game before it was scrapped tho
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It is end of Augustus I think yes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!