Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

What's with the money bags? I see there's a count kept of them - do they get cashed in for continues or lives?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Continues maybe.  I had no idea they did anything other than points (possibly leading to unlikely extra lives), but there's a moneybags tally on the left of the continue screen in this one.
  • Super GnG, eh? I still have the game. Albeit just the PCB and no casing. I managed to get to the end only to be sent back to the start. As a childish teenager, I took the cart out and smashed it out of anger. Trufax.

Still works though, you just have to carefully slot the PCB in.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Music is lovely in first two or three stages. Don't remember much of the rest.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Continues maybe.  I had no idea they did anything other than points (possibly leading to unlikely extra lives), but there's a moneybags tally on the left of the continue screen in this one.
    Yeah, money bags are for continues.

I think there is an order to the chests, but some of them are easy to miss because they're hidden and only appear if you double back at certain points. Not sure exactly how it works.

Weapons are always random though. Get the crossbow and stick with it if possible.
  • Double jumping in specific locations in SGnG usually unearths chests.
    Random spawning of ghouls makes this a tricky excercise.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • In short I like the GnG series but it's no Castlevania.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The inertia when jumping isn't pleasing.
  • The homing arrow in sGnG was the most useful weapon because homing (duh).
    Other weapons were substandard because of their fixed path and because ghouls could spawn anywhere, anytime literally.
    In far corners, in your jumping arch or just in your sprite. Unfair yes, that's why it was best to power up and just always keep moving.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - stop and die.

When you are going through hell you keep on going. (Churchill)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Downloaded zones and the rom - will compare. But the PS2 Capcom Collection plays pretty well.
  • Zones?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If it's the same as the XBox one I had, that's one of the better retro compilations iirc.  The Megadrive collection for the 360 generation was also excellent value.
  • I've got both collections on the Vita, which split the games on the original Classics Collection and add some more. It's a good selection overall, with most of the stuff you'd expect, and some stuff that's best forgotten. UN Squadron (and Carrier Airwing) is an obvious omission though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Zsnes maybe.

fecking Apple and its Safari browser - yep - zsnes
  • This is too hardcore for me and my gung-ho tendencies. Even with save states I am useless.

Any of you guys get slow down or have I just got a dodgy rom? Particularly occurs when I jump whilst a werewolf is making a dive for me.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • It slows down a bit on GBA, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the SNES version had terrible slowdown in places (I remember this because it pleased me).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. I'll be playing on with the PS2 port as it doesn't seem to have any slowdown - haven't got too far though!!!
  • Well I cant get out of the first world yet. I've gone right soft!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Me too....but I've gave it a miss this last few days - too much else happening. And playing on PS2 means no save states. I see this is on the SNES mini.
  • Never got past the opening bit back in the day, I gave up and moved on to Yoshi's Island and SNES DOOM, and I spent a lovely summer going back and forth between baby rescue and demon murdering- they really complemented each other well. Super G&G became a perennial have-a-quick-go the next few years, to see if I could get any further, never could.
    Absolutely the most bollocking hard game I've ever played.
  • Absolutely the most bollocking hard game I've ever played.

Non-infinite continues considered, I think I'd agree with this.
  • No idea how I managed to get to the last boss. But it was the most annoying thing ever
  • I'm surprised the last boss actually helps you defeat him by sending platforms from his gusset.
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SNES)

What to say about this bastard of a game. As a kid I had Ghosts 'n Goblins on NES, it wasn't the best port, tbh I don't even think much of the arcade game. It was one of those games in my collection along with Metroid that I wanted to like but were just to damn hard for their own good.

For that reason I pretty much ignored this upon release, if I'm being honest I can't even recall when I first played it, it was definitely post PS/N64 though. To cut a long story short I only gave it any real play time very recently on the Wii U VC.

It's a great update/sequel that's for sure. The graphics are excellent, putting all the fancy SNES effects to good use. As an early release it was definitely a good showcase for the console.

Music and sound effects are also superb, as was the norm for Capcom, one of the elite developers of the era. Whilst everything sounds great I must admit to only committing the opening level theme to memory, probably more to do with hearing it so much on that bastard NES game. Basically, whilst it sounds great, I don't find any of it particularly memorable.

The gameplay is a bit of a mixed bag imo. The double jump is lovely and it instantly propels it above previous entries for me. Unfortunately you still have no control over jumps once in the air, something I've never been much of a fan of. The double jump alleviates this a little but I still find it a frustrating experience.

On the plus side it does a decent job of keeping things fresh. Riding the raft on level 2 and the moving platforms of later levels break things up well from the standard on foot action. The bosses aren't to bad either.

The weapons system however is pain in the arse. I think a Mega Man style of changing weapons on the fly would have been much better, especially if they designed sections around them with a bit more thought. As it is its just bastard hard for the wrong reasons.

The length is another downer, this is SNES not Mega Drive, what happened to the other half of the game? Oh, you want me to play it twice... fuck off! I never bothered with it, any game that throws that at you is gonna rub me up the wrong way. Had it been twice as long instead I'd instantly have liked it more.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like here, its a quality game, just one that's a part of a series I've never personally quite liked as much as I want to or feel I should, just like UN Squadron in fact. 

Its a classic, it deserves its place on the SNES mini, its just not one I'm a big fan of.

3/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's a weird one innit. Has this classic status but I'm not sure anyone really loves it that much.
  • I thought I was in the minority tbh. 

I think the whole series is massively overrated, least of all that NES game and the arcade game its based off, its just not that good, especially for Capcoms high standards.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Daiamkaimura innit, Demon Hell Village or something. I'm gonna rock it on the CRT I got from Moot a few weeks back. Will let you know when I throw the CRT out the window.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!