Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bollo gets it
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

B-tier production values in almost every way - visuals, physics, story, voiceovers - but it's just great fun to play. There really is a ton of different ways to get stuff done, and the controls are mostly very slick (puts Dishonored 2 to shame). Particularly like that's it's not fussy about things and not bothered about realism where it would get in the way of your mucking about. Top stealthing.

I fucked up the final part though and didn't keep a save point from before the last mission. Oh well. I'll have to live with the ending I got.

Edit: Turns out I was able to go back and get a better ending. Yay.

Except
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Titan Attacks (PS4)

Space Invader / Asteroids / Bullet Hell combo, basically pretty fun for a lightweight sesh or two.  You end up amusingly OP once you hit NG+ and NG++, but then it just gets boring.

Still, [7] happily enough.
  • Final Fantasy VII

Not the first time, like, but the first since the late 90s. Been playing on and off for a few months now. Always had it down as one of my top games ever (just behind Dark Souls and Mario 64 in fact) and have been wondering for years how well it would hold up today. The answer is really well.

The graphics are the main obstacle, both the low resolution of the pre-rendered backgrounds and the very low polygon models you control for most of the game (the in-battle characters are still pretty good). But it's easy enough to get over that, since the detail in the backgrounds is often rather lovely, and because the first act is so strong it pulls you in anyway.

There is some poor dialogue, of course, and some of the plot points are stupidly contrived (Cait Sith's role for one), but overall it's still a great story and still the best bunch of player characters in any game. Even the delivery of the story could teach modern games a thing or two, especially that first 6 hours up to where the gang leaves Midgar and Cloud tells the story of Sephiroth. It's perfectly paced, introduces everything and everyone perfectly, and sets up the rest of the game. Despite going into a more familiar RPG structure after, that narrative foundation is already there.

The materia system is also still superb. I don't think there's been another JRPG that achieves the level of customisation in such a logical way. The combat is actually easier than I remember overall, so you don't need to get into the depths of it, but it's there if you need and if you want to do the optional end of game stuff. 

Not that I did much of it. Finished in just over 30 hours at level 61, compared to my original save that went well over the 99 hour mark. The added options of the remaster helped a bit - allowing you to speed up the gameplay in those long summoning animations.

The other thing that needs a mention is the soundtrack, which holds it all together and produces some of the big emotional moments. I don't think the visuals and text alone would have anything like the same impact without it. Probably still the best in-game soundtrack ever.

So yeah, still one of my favourite games, and my favourite RPG. Wonderful stuff.

Remake? Not sure it's necessary really, but I guess it would be good to see the gang again. Might be a bit weird with more realistic graphics though, given the comic nature of some of the scenes. Whatever they do, they should keep the materia pretty much as is.
  • Agree with all that.
  • I once wrote a big long thing about the soundtrack, it really does fit the game perfectly. The limitations of the hardware meant the melodies needed to be simple and strong, and it keeps everything fairly minimalist for a grandiose RPG. Remaking the music without losing what made it special, the tone and pace, and the weird comic nature of some of the scenes as you've pointed out, are the main obstacles for the remake.
  • I keep trying to get into it on Vita. I may have to try again.
  • It's almost as good as 6 and 12.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm still not sure if I love or hate Cait Sith just turning up again straight after a drawn out sacrifice walk.
  • Andy wrote:
    I keep trying to get into it on Vita. I may have to try again.

Is that possible?
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • For a month or two I remember thinking it was my favourite game ever.  Bought a Playstation for it - my first non-Sega console - no regrets, though it was responsible for ruining pretty much all of my mock GCSEs iirc.  I didn't stick with the genre for some reason.  Skies of Arcadia is the only other traditional JRPG I've played, and I drifted away from that after 24hrs unfortunately. 

Music is among the best in any game, if not for stand out tracks in particular, certainly for having such an array of top drawer tunes.
  • Bob wrote:
    Andy wrote:
    I keep trying to get into it on Vita. I may have to try again.

Is that possible?

Loads of PS1 games on there, Bob. Check the store.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I'm still not sure if I love or hate Cait Sith just turning up again straight after a drawn out sacrifice walk.
    Ha. I always liked the absurdity of the character design (cat controlling giant stuffed moogle with a trumpet), but that bit and the other bit - 
    Spoiler:
    are some incredibly lazy writing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (PC)

So people said I'd get bored and not like it... but I actually didn't find it too bad.  Under an hour to finish, and it had me pretty intrigued throughout (despite the lack of substance).  Forking in paths was pretty superficial, but the aesthetics were generally strong (audio and video) so it was a pleasant enough ride. The caves and moon in particular, and the impression of dampness - and the fleeting madness of the on-wall scribbles.

So yeah, in a fit of generosity I'm giving it a [7] - it did what it wanted to do, and (as I understand it) paved the way for better versions, which i'll move on to presently...
  • A lot of the scribbles are far too laboured and some of them don't even make sense, like the golden ratio one, just lazy IMO

I finished The Last Guardian, I wrote about it in the thread but Cinty is ignoring me.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    As much as I dislikked Rapture I like the way Thechineseroom makes locations feel very Albion. It's quite nice as a Brit. I'd like a weekend open air trip camping trip to that island.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Forgotten Shores DLC for Monument Valley is even more inventive than base. whoa.
  • Orly? Will have to play base and check out DLC. Always wanted to play it. In fact... I've had it sitting on my iPad since release...!
  • Ys Seven

Had this on Vita for a couple of years and hadn't played it in nearly a year. Fired it up and it turned out I'd left it halfway through the last dungeon. Didn't have much idea what was going on, but it was easy enough to pick up again and do the final stretch.

Worth it for the final boss fight. Can tolerate multiple phases when you get to restart the current phase when you die, rather than do it all again. Boss battles are the highlight of these games - proper hectic epic encounters.
  • Different to Memories of Celceta or same game? I don't follow Ys so wouldn't know which is which. Once had 3 on SNES but only played half an hour and still remember the catchy tune.
  • 7 was on PSP. Celcetta was made for Vita, but I think was a remake of an earlier one. I don't really follow it either and those are the only ones I've played.
  • Just Wiki'd it. Apparently MoC is the third game that is Ys IV! But I don't think any of number IVs are related. Weird.
  • Yeah, just read through it all and it's a bit of a mess. And the timeline puts IV between II and II apparently.

Also, it seems one of the other games has a character called 'Hugo Fact'.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Gone Home (PS4)

Eh?  Nah.  No thanks.  

I don't get why people rate this.  Feels like it's trying to be a game but is a shit one, and trying to be a story and is only a mediocre one.  At least Dear Esther tried one thing and delivered on it, this was all just a bit meh and trite almost.  No trite is a bit harsh, but I guess it was trying to be clever with misdirection etc. and the "cleverness" of that was hardly overwhelming.

Didn't to me feel like it was doing much new, and the old stuff it was doing hardly sets the world alight.  A harsh [5].
  • Find it amusing that you were ok with the rank prestentiousness of DE but turned off by the disarming tenderness of GH
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I was not disarmed
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    And yes DE was pretentious, but I enjoyed the aesthetic journey despite that.  It got away with it.  I stand by more scores.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    And yes DE was pretentious, but I enjoyed the aesthetic journey despite that.  It got away with it.  I stand by more scores.

I know another game that you might enjoy, one of the all-time greatest...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Postal 2.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!