Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Through Mighty Switch Force 2 (3DS) as well now.  Such a frustrating game - a mediocre puzzler dressed in a really quite bad platformer.  It's just not quite sure which it is, to the detriment of both.  The pure puzzle bits (where you e.g. can't instantly die on spikes, cos yay that helps solving puzzles) are actually sometimes quite good, it's just a chore to get to them.  And then they'll put in some shitty fiery pit bit that you might suddenly lose a couple of lives on and... back to the start of the level, to redo puzzles that you've already solved.

It just feels like some basic tweaking & focus on puzzles & no need to restart levels, and it could be quite good.  But it isn't, in it's current form.

Then the aesthetic, which is pretty unappealing.  Anime bikinis left right and centre.  Why??  But then, in another sign of "we're capable just can't be arsed", they change up the styling on the penultimate level & it suddenly feels fleetingly fresh.

And then the last level has a boss, which is totally out of character for the game.

It's just all over the place.  Kernels of quality behind a rind of mediocrity, and only negligible invention (three colours of cubes, on one level) beyond the first game.

Gah.

[4] somethings from an I can't be arsed any more.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I didn't recommend that.
  • Mass Effect Andromeda: About a 6.  I imagine you could probably have more fun watching youtube snippets of the weird buggy stuff that happens in it, but still okay.

Also - Blaster Master Zero on Nintendo Switch.  A very solid (and cheap) little metroidvania, with some nice, suped up 8 NES style visuals.  You mainly control a tank that has a good sense of momentum and power.  There are also top down areas which you complete on foot, with new weapons and more of a SNESish visual style.  

The maps are well laid out and you get a number of cool tricks and moves as the game goes on, as you'd expect.  Nothing too remarkable, but nothing really bad either!  I didn't much get along with a stealth level, and there's maybe too many enemies that are below you tank's turret, so you have to jump out and shoot them with your side arm.  That can be a bit fiddly.  Also - the confirm and cancel buttons are reversed from Nintendo's usual (IE: it's the same as Xbox or Playstation) which threw me off quite a few times.

Not a bad way to spend 8 hours!  Also sticks out since there are so few Switch games at the moment.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Damn is blastermastr that good? I finished the og when on 3DS
  • I thought it was good value!  Did you get along with the original?  Apparently the new one is very similar, but more generous with its saves and checkpoints.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I thought it was good value!  Did you get along with the original?  Apparently the new one is very similar, but more generous with its saves and checkpoints.

Got along fine - far preferred the in car bits but wasn't as outraged by over the top bits as others. Seem to remember the soundtrack being BANGIN
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Pilotwings Resort (3DS)

Well, completed enough. Didn't 3* everything so no Diamond levels unlocked, but played through the rest. It was kinda fun enough really, and the 3D worked pretty well, just a little bit boring / characterless and the 3DS nipped occasionally frustrated. Decent volume of content though and fair difficulty. Any hidden penguins etc? Not that I saw...

Anyway, [7] nimbi from a cumulus.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Was looking to get that on the eshop the other day (currently doing some animation stuff for a project with a biplane, so thought it could be a nice reference), still E45. No thank you, thought that would have been discounted to the E20,- series by now.
  • Ninja Seki DX and 10 Second Ninja X

Ninja Seki is proper 8-bit platforming and shooting. Shades of early Mega Man, but completely linear. Nearly gave up a few times due to the harshness of being sent back to the start of a level when continuing, but it's not actually a very tough game once you figure out what to do. Basic, but enjoyable.

10 Second Ninja, meanwhile, is really rather excellent. Instant-restart platforming a bit like Meat Boy, but not as punishing. It's the 10 second aspect I really like - because you have to finish a level in such a short time you never have to string together too much in one go. Just master short bursts of precision jumping, shooting and hitting, and refining it to earn 3 star rankings is very satisfying. The only thing I don't like is the crappy humour. I've reached the credits pretty quickly, but that's only about halfway through really. Will continue to see what else there is and try and get 3 star rankings on some more levels.
  • Finished a few games during this first week of my Easter holidays!

Batman The Telltale Series

This was good whilst certainly not being the best Telltale series. Some of the dialogue felt stilted and I still encountered a few glitches which really should have been fixed by now! However, the story did some interesting things with established characters and was pretty engaging throughout. Typical Telltale but still good.

Sunset Overdrive

What an utterly marvellous, colourful, fun, exciting, silly gem of a game.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Went back and got 3 star rankings on all the levels of 10 Second Ninja X. It's great fun gradually refining a few seconds of play to perfection.

There's still Marathon Mode to do, but I think that would take much more practice and I've done enough.

Great game though. It's this sort of pleasant surprise that makes me like PS+ (on the other hand, Curses 'n' Chaos is a bit crap - rough with the smooth).
  • Sunset Overdrive

What an utterly marvellous, colourful, fun, exciting, silly gem of a game.

Perfect review right there.
    Xbox / PSN - DongleUnlimited
  • demons souls

I think I need to play this again and again and again before I can even properly talk about it.
    It has so many areas and characters and bosses that are strong and are wonderful and it does atmosphere superbly.
    There are some parts of it where it's quite unfair, and similarly parts where your ability to cheese a boss puts you in the other side of unfair.
    I can see at this point why looking back on it after Dark Souls it is held in such renowned. It certainly laid the ground work for its follow up. And it maintains a stronger second part of the game over the follow up.
    I feel I've scratched the Surface and nothing more.
    4-1 areas out of 5
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Horizon New  Zero Dawn.

The Humans are Dead

I recall being completely indifferent during the build-up for this game.  Whilst the concept of robot dinosaurs seemed relatively fresh, early screens didn't do anything for me and the mechanical beasties initially looked over-designed and odd looking -like Guerilla was trying too hard.  Fast forward a few months and tales of reviewers gushing over the visuals reeled me in to see what all the fuss was about. A new IP that sets a new graphical standard?

Robot Love

Actually playing it, you get a real feel for the craft & artistry that's breathed life into these metal monsters.  Be it the skittish herds of robotic herbivores that can be set ablaze with a well placed fire arrow, triggering mass stampedes, to the lumbering behemoths that shake the earth with each pounding step,  every robot dinosaur has a tremendous sense or mechanical presence.   Some are god damn terrifying.  An enraged Stormhawk bearing down on you with a crackling energy shield during a raging snow storm is enough to put anyone to flight.  Others, like the meddlesome Longlegs and the prowling Ravagers can be almost as deadly in packs.   Guerrilla have done marvelously well to imbue each of their robotic creations with such character.

Death from Above

And this makes them all the more fun to kill.   Lobbing off a Ravagers heavy laser gun turret with a sonic arrow only to harvest it later to mow down herds of robot deer is just as satisfying as it sounds.  Sneaking close to a robo-crocodile with its power cells just visible above the water line, presenting an inviting target, never gets old as the arrows find their home and blow a hole in the creatures metallic hide.  Downing those pesky Glinthawks before they get a chance to launch their deadly cargo of freeze bombs is imperative.   Combat is extremely moreish. 

A Land that Time Forgot

The Robot Dinosaurs may well be the stars of the show.  But the Earth they rule over can often be just as majestic.  Galloping across the land on a robotic steed will take your from lush forests to rolling plains , across searing desert wastes to barren icy tundra.  Each environment type is programmed with detail, as if hidden robot hands have expertly crafted a biosphere just for you.  Which of course they have.  Day and night cycle seem a bit too fast, but this is a mere glitch in the system. Seeing the dawn break over the land where a race of robots now rule is a sheer delight.

File Error

Although perhaps Guerrilla lack the programming language to create a ‘perfect world’.  While the voice acting for the protagonist is top notch, other characters fall wide of their mark. There are human cities to visit, but they often feel devoid of life and without purpose.  And the main plot really is a load of hokum. Side quests equally banal.  In no way could this be regarded as an RPG.  Dialogue wheel offers or presents no meaningful choices and skill and character progressions are identical to Far Cry.  Strangely, I found the voice recordings from the Lost pre-robo-dinosaur age utterly uncompelling, so too the hunt for collectibles that seem pointless and grafted onto the game with no thought.

I would of liked them to have gone full Monster Hunter with the crafting system, as it’s relatively easy to ‘craft’ top end gear without earning it via your bow ‘n’ arrow.  A more deeper, complex crafting system would help the post-game too. But tales of a forthcoming DLC has me hankering for some deep sea adventures (the only environment type not realised) so I can go hunt me some Robo-Plesiosaur.

Final Score:  8 bots of 10.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Horizon New Dawn

When titles are so daft, even the people playing can't remember them properly.
  • demons souls

I think I need to play this again and again and again before I can even properly talk about it.
    It has so many areas and characters and bosses that are strong and are wonderful and it does atmosphere superbly.
    There are some parts of it where it's quite unfair, and similarly parts where your ability to cheese a boss puts you in the other side of unfair.
    I can see at this point why looking back on it after Dark Souls it is held in such renowned. It certainly laid the ground work for its follow up. And it maintains a stronger second part of the game over the follow up.
    I feel I've scratched the Surface and nothing more.
    4-1 areas out of 5

A few ales before you scribed this rev? Eh?
  • I think I was speaking the truth.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • But going to replay a few more times to really get into it again.
  • World tendency in Demons Souls elevates it something proper.

And it has the most emotive boss in the whole series.

Love that game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Top 5 SoulsBorne bosses? Go!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    5) Stingray
    4) Man Eaters
    3) Artorias
    2) Sif
    1) False King Allant
  • 4 Kings
    Capra Demon
    Father Gascoigne
    Smough & Ornstein
    Aldrich (trying to think of one from DS3)

Never played Demon's, obviously.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah maybe I should have suggested top 10! Hard to argue with any of yours...
  • Yeah, could easily have gone for Sif, Priscilla, Gargoyles etc. from DS1, or any of the DLC bosses.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm. Top 20?
  • The whole of DS1, minus Bed of Chaos.
  • 1) Gwyn
    2) Gherman, The First Hunter
    3) Martyr Logarius
    4) Abyss Watchers
    5) Father Gascoigne
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Shit. O&S gotta be in there.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 1. Gil Gadot
    2. Shakespeare's Sister
    3. Creamola Foam
    4. The Insprial Carpet
    5. Papa Lazarou

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!