52 games in a year? How close can you get?
  • Added:

beglitched
    yakuza 0
    and
    Ladykiller in a bind.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I have entered this realm. Last Updated - 20/02/17 Dishons 2 Superhawt Moirai Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part 1 "          "       "        "       "        "       "   2 DOOM

I played Moirai ages ago. it was a cool little thing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm into the 20s.  Smashin it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But are proper games art?
  • The Last Guardian is.

Sorry, I guess you wouldn't know about that. ;)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Now that's just mean!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    How about you download the free game Moirai that's free and take it off your wishlist because it's free and play the free game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I only added it to my wishlist yesterday. I'm not allowed even F2P stuff :-(.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyone played 1001 Spikes? Would I like it?
  • Where do you find these random games??
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Steam. But 1001 Spikes was originally on Xbox Live Indie Arcade I believe.
  • Ah, I think I remember it. A friend of mine and I used to go through XBLIG back when it was a thing and teyboit all sorts of games. We had a sub as we were trying to make a game so could pretty much play anything. Came across some decent efforts.
  • I played it when it was on XBLA, was 59p iirc.  I'd be surprised if you hated it.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Now that's just mean!
    It was a cheap shot, aye.

If it's any consolation I would've let you borrow it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ayo that's Dragon quest 8 down. What a genuinely lovely game. Voice acting is a massive prt of the charm. Really quite easy in the scheme of JRPGS too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    On 11 now!
  • Up to 5 now, only 11 more to go until I reach my lofty target of 16! Thanks Alan Wake!
  • I should have 2 more down by this weekend and then spend the rest of the year with just Zelda.
  • 7hrs?  Must say I'm surprised it's that short.  Suddenly interested, but surprised.
  • Seven down. Updated 1st post with this:-

Alice in Wordland
    Quite an engaging word puzzle game. Spent a fair few hours on it over the last few weeks. The 'Mystery Mode' becomes an utter ball ache though so don't get it if your sanity is somewhat fragile. Embrace clues such as 'minor mathematical theorem' and wonder whether many people have even heard of 'lemma'. When I started using an online thesaurus for some of the ridiculously left field clues, I realised that my time with the game was at an end. Whilst it's infectious and fair 7/10, when it starts making words up so that you purchase additional hints then it drops to 3/10. Game of two halves.

Almost finished Doom. Also continuating with Unravel. Not enjoying.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    7hrs?  Must say I'm surprised it's that short.  Suddenly interested, but surprised.

Did you ever play the first? That was short too. Really good campaign that doesn't outstay it's welcome and great for running through on harder difficulties!!
  • No, almost picked it up a couple of times.  The only RTS I've played is Command & Conquer on Saturn, which I really enjoyed.  I assumed 7hrs wouldn't be too far past the tutorial in a modern RTS, I seem to recall certain levels in C&C ebbing and flowing for ages.
  • Couple of minor updates on mine.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    No, almost picked it up a couple of times.  The only RTS I've played is Command & Conquer on Saturn, which I really enjoyed.  I assumed 7hrs wouldn't be too far past the tutorial in a modern RTS, I seem to recall certain levels in C&C ebbing and flowing for ages.

Oh yeah there's a lot of ebb and flow, I quickly cleared it on normal simply to see the story and get the lay of the land, legendary will be very different and a lot more of a battle. There was some incredible levels that were very seesaw in the score, one near the end where the opposition was 10 points off winning whilst I was about 1500 off but I clawed it back after refusing to resign. Really enjoy the management and creativity in the battles.
  • Updated for Nier: Automata.
  • I'll put it on the watch list then Verocha, thanks.

Can I get in the OP?  I'm on three now.  Do I edit the first time I posted or post here?

1.  The Lucky Dime Caper (Master System)

Still great [8]

2.  Rise of the Tomb Raider

It's easy to see why some folk prefer this to Uncharted.  I don't, but it continues the good work started with the reboot.  Story is weak, cutscenes/dialogue are piss poor when compared to Drake & co., but in the plus column the bow is well used, the climbing is more varied and the puzzles are better if you include the tombs.  I only did three of those, as they're optional, but I bet the rest are good.  I'd probably play a tomb only mode if completing the main game unlocked a the option, but it didn't and I'm not going back in to find them.  Enjoyed it though.  Played on normal, but it probably would've been more enjoyable on hard as the shooting is good (again, better than Uncharted. perhaps thanks to the Bone sticks). [8]. 

3. Mad Max - PS4

I struggled with this a bit, because it does a lot of things I don't like in a package that, on the whole, I found irresistible.  There's so much to do, which is a good thing in games like this, I'm all for optional extra for those who want them, but of the few open world games I've played this was the meanest in terms of gated progression.  You can't really make a beeline for the credits, because every three missions or so you'll have to run errands to find/upgrade this or destroy that, which feels a bit like being sent to search for long weights or tartan paint.  Also, it's hard.  I died loads on the road.  The fighting is fairly straightforward (and great - no complaints here - "I'm Batman", said Max), but traversing the world map in your car is surprisingly brutal.  Again, you need to spend hours mopping stuff up for a free ride.  Pressing circle for fire is something I never got used to either.  It really does take ages to collect scrap too, and if you don't, you'll be underpowered before you know it.

That's most of the bad stuff out the way though.  In the plus column, this really is a superbly realised Mad Max game.  It does so much stuff so damn well that I'm surprised it didn't get more coverage at launch.  Metacritic has it at 69, which doesn't sit right with me.  I've tried to play GTAV (twice), I played Assassin's Creed 2.  I thought Crackdown was shit.  I'm scared to death of the size of the new Zelda.  A lot of my problems (or potential problems) with these games stem from the fact that it's just not that interesting to drive around in GTA, or fight in AssCree, or presumably, walk around a lot in Zelda.  It's fun to be Max though, gunning a dirt bucket with a V6 engine, ramming/harpooning cars, sniper rifle in the boot, occasionally jumping out to snap a few limbs or bash up a top dog in a tower (the towers/strongholds are great).  The fighting and driving, which are the meat and potatoes of the experience, are both moreish (something it has over Mordor, where the fighting was more moreish than the rest of it).  The voice acting is good, I didn't skip the cut scenes and chasing down tumbling crates in electrical storms was brilliant.  Plus it looks gorgeous. 

One more minor complaint:
    Spoiler:
    Enough moaning though.  As mentioned somewhere a few weeks ago I played this for 5 hours straight the other day, which is the longest I;ve sat in front of any game for many, many years.  I'm giving it an [8], but only because I had second thoughts and deleted the [9] I was originally going for.  A hair's breadth behind Shadow of Mordor.

Ninja Commando - Neo Geo

Up the screen on foot shooter.  Starts well, gets a bit silly towards the end in terms of difficulty, but don't they all?  Standard fare, but an enjoyable retro experience.  Marking it having not paid £90 for it, or whatever the original price was, I think a [6] is about right.

Robo Army - Neo Geo

Simplistic arcade scrolling beat 'em up.  Not much of a moveset, but chunky characters, decent visuals and solid thwack noises take this up a notch or two.  Just about good enough for 1991.  Fun but nothing special.  [6]

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon - Neo Geo

Another scrolling beat 'em up, but this one does a lot more.  It has Streets of Rage 2 level of moves per scantily clad character.  Aside from a super cheap final boss this is a great example of the genre.  [8]

Dashin' Desperados - Megadrive

The sort of game time has been incredibly kind to.  It's a split screen race-to-the-goal game with very little depth and not many levels.  What was probably a half decent diversion on release (at £40) is now an excellent little Nidhogg/Runbow/Doriotos Crash Course head-to-head precursor (at £0).  Some of the levels are poor when there's clearly a conscious effort to mix things up, but the straight race stages are a joy.  Almost a 9, much fun was had.  [8]

Wonderboy in Monsterland - Master System

Still wonderful, you can keep your Dragon's Trap. It's easily one of the best 8-bit games imo, both at the time and as a retro runthrough. Was just about perfect at the time in terms of getting your money's worth (I only finished it once iirc), and it doesn't feel as evil as most games from the era during a cold save state run. Fun to play, loads to do, tactics needed plus a touch of play-your-own-way item choices with armour/special items etc. A very special game. [9].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Now that's just mean!
    It was a cheap shot, aye. If it's any consolation I would've let you borrow it.

FTR, he (they guy next to me at work) still hasn't taken it out of its cellophane wrapper, so it stares at me, unopened, every day of the week.

Sad times indeed.
  • My second copy is still sealed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!