PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Gunman Clive (3DS)

Meh. Didn't really do it for me. Shooting was only just the right side of serviceable, platforming barely that. Nice enough pencil aesthetic but even "duck mode" won't exactly tempt me back for more, and I'm glad it was short as is. The only non dull bits of platforming were clear mario steals too, plus weak checkpointing.

A bang average [5] cows from a boy
  • Taking price into account (£2ish?), I thought it was very good.  Definitely simplistic, but I enjoyed that too.  I never replayed it, but it was a fun 50 minutes or so and well suited to handheld gaming.  
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm really starting to distrust Moot.  Though I'm unclear whether he's fucking with me with rogue suggestions, or just misguided.

Bike Rider DX (3DS)

So I actually quite liked the central conceit & fidelity of the controls, but they just did so little with it.  Levels were basically all the same, power-ups were beyond shit (generally the safest way through a level being to avoid them altogether), and getting non-obvious coins involved having played the level before rather than any exploration (impossible, after all, given you can't go backwards).  Levels very slowly got harder, but became more a challenge in handling frustration rather than a test of actual skill.  I quite like the unlocked world as at least something different, but still again fairly meh.

Obviously indie though etc., so in light with Moot's comment above I'll thaw my attitude somewhat.  [6] spokeys from a dokey.
  • You only needed two or three passes to work out the route for even the most irritating coins, I quite like that perfection through repetition thing.  It was the game that won me over with the 3DS.  I played the sequel too :)
  • Anyway, I'll give you an extra 50p for effort.
  • Completed Dishonoured 2 this afternoon. What a cracking game. Every moment of gameplay is fantastic, with the controls, powers, environments and exploration all allowing for a fantastic stealth based game. The level design is frequently outstanding and is always a joy to explore.

However...

As mentioned by many others, the storyline is rubbish. Some of the big story moments towards the end just fall flat and it is all very bog standard. Combine this with the fact that the final two missions are nowhere near as good as the ones before them and it means it actually finishes on a bit of downer.

Thankfully the negatives do not detract from the many positives too much and at least two of the levels are insanely brilliant.

8 non-lethal takedowns out of 10
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I enjoyed the final level if only because it has many callbacks to the Palace in the first game. There's still
    Spoiler:

Regarding story I was a bit let down by Cara Ellison in that regard. Maybe there were issues in how much freedom she actually had. Perhaps characters and set-pieces were designed before context and she had to work around them.
  • Not a Hero. As mentioned in the currently playing thread, I liked it. The optional challenges on each level really make you get the most out of its mechanics. Spent a few hours doing those even after finishing all the levels.

Might've been good if it had had a scoring system and leaderboards. Think it would've made for good forum challenge fodder.
  • I completed dishonored and loved every minute ... 2 is not as good.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Might move on to Not a Hero next.  HLTB clocks it at around 5hrs.
  • Sounds about right for basic completion. But I also think it's worth replaying some early levels to raise overall completion percentage and unlock extra characters (especially Clive), because that makes the last set of levels easier.
  • Shovel Knight. An joy from the opening jingle to the final triumphant bounce. Will be surprised if anything takes my goty from this. Challenge mode seems great to boot.
  • Where's this massive post about stuff we take for granted then?

Challenge mode is an excellent addition (wasn't there until the first round of dlc).  I did the standard stages, then went back and did the bosses a few months later.  At first the bosses seemed too hard, hence the break, but only one or two of them were true arseholes in the end.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Shadow Complex (PC)

Decent enough Metroidvania, and the 'depth' thing work fairly sensible most of the time.  Pretty routine story, but basically good solid fun going around, and plenty of secrets to fine.  So I think it's an [8] for me. 

How anyone would put it above Super Metroid though...?!?
  • No one is that stupid.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It hasn't dated that well.  I had fond memories of it from the 360 but the current gen upgrade wasn't as great as I remembered.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It hasn't dated that well.  I had fond memories of it from the 360 but the current gen upgrade wasn't as great as I remembered.

This is exactly my feelings
  • I had a good time with it on 360 too but no desire to revisit it. A solid one and done.
  • Dishonored 2

Overall feelings are quite positive. It's a repeat of the first game in many ways, despite some new bits and bobs. The world and level design is still strong and the powers you get to muck about with allow for some creative solutions.

On the other hand, the mission design is rarely as adventurous as the best of Dis 1 (nothing to match the whore house, bridge or ball). And the stealth mechanics now seem less sharp in a post-MGS V world. Things just don't quite work as expected some of the time, leading to even more quick reloads (I'm not a fan of the combat so try to avoid it).

So it's a little unstable and a little repetitive, but the moments when it all clicks together, especially later in the game when you've got a good array of powers and items, are still excellent.
  • The Turing Test. The game not the irl AI checker.

Really good actually.  Talos crossed with Portal.  Would recommend.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    6180 The Moon (PC)

Simple enough indie platformer, with the single main premise that the top and bottom for the screen wrap round, so yay you can fall forever.  Some nice level design though, and nice easy length to blast through.  Nonsense plot, obvs, but still recommended.  There are then reverse ("dark moon") levels, some of which seemed quite easy, others of which are quite hard.  Haven't got through all of these yet and not sure I can be arsed tbh, but still an [8] for the freshness of idea and execution.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Home (PC)

Hmm.  Hmm hmm hmm.  Not sure what I think.  Kinda enjoyed the premise, but the ending slightly frustrated me, in its meta-narrative nonsense.  Hmmmmmm.  Interested to hear what other people think of it.  But initial gut says [6].  Possibly harsh?  Possibly not.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm on a roll...

Lume (PC)

Very short P&C, one puzzle slightly too obscure & another too subtle, but fun enough while it lasted.  Fairly nice visual style, but a bit of clunk too.  Can't really go higher than a [6] despite it basically doing what it was trying to do.
  • Surely @muzzy must be on target to do @vere 52 games in a year challenge?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Surely @muzzy must be on target to do @vere 52 games in a year challenge?

A few are! Though muzzy is lucky as he's playing cartoon episode sized games...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sitting in the pub waiting for the football and that's yer Dragon Quest 8 utterly pumped. Didn't do all photo missions, but done enough of them to get some good gear.

What a cool game. Having just come off finishing 7, 8 is leagues ahead. I had never really been as fully into DQ as I had been FF before, but come this summer I'll be seeing the dank DQ gear in Artnia in Shinjuku.

Corker
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Surely @muzzy must be on target to do @vere 52 games in a year challenge?

A few are! Though muzzy is lucky as he's playing cartoon episode sized games...

Lucky? Pah. A man makes his own luck.
    Spoiler:
  • Crossposted with the Nier thread:

Here is a review for Nier: Automata - there are spoilers in here, so please be warned - i’m not gonna dance around stuff. It just makes things sound muddled and unclear. There are a lot of things I don’t talk about, but to understand what makes the game so good there are some things I can’t NOT talk about. So yeah, SPOILERS!!!!
    Spoiler:

A quick summary for those who don’t want things plot points, locations or events spoiled - there’s just a structural spoiler in here:
    Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    HLTB?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!