Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wired controllers and motion sensing don't go well together. It's what put me off getting Samba de Amigo on DC.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES)

Completed The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse on SNES this evening, been playing it on and off for a few weeks, so I thought I'd share a my thoughts.

Gotta say these Disney titles from the 16Bit gen all look the business but are seriously lacking overall.

This game gives Mickey three additional costumes with their own abilities but they don't add too much and feel more like a missed opportunity than a fundamental gameplay feature.

The level design is also rudimentary and they're very short and easy. The boss fights bring challenge but often to much, you'll likely die and see the game over screen before working out the pattern, it's a real bad mix.

Like the two Mickey games on Mega Drive we played earlier in this thread it's not inherently bad, just painfully average. These shortcomings were far more forgivable on NES and Master System but 16Bit gamers deserved more and thankfully we got it elsewhere.

It's safe to say this won't survive by upcoming cull.
    3/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The Lion King (MD)

Really not a good game. 

Again the graphics and music are on point, they can't be faulted.

What can is the constant cheap deaths, boing combat, iffy collision detection and frustrating checkpoints. This is one to definitely avoid. 

I've never been a fan of games from Virgin, granted I haven't played their pièce de résistance Earthworm Jim, but this marks a serious drop in quality for them imo.

It must have been poor even in 1994 but I seem to remember the press gushing over it. Great Film, Great OST, Shit game.

1/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You should definitely play Earthworm Jim soon.
    Don't be afraid to use a level select as there are some difficulty spikes but all the game should be sampled as there is some cracking humour, ideas and artwork.
  • I intend to at some point, it's probably the most high profile 16Bit game that eluded me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Hmm, seems Dave Perry buggered off from Virgin before Earthworm Jim, they just published it and only in Europe at that.

Still, there's a history there.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm a fan of magical quest. 2 and 3 are refinements - I'm not sure if 3 made it to the UK.

Lion King ain't great.

I'll fight the battle for Capcom/snes Aladdin over Virgin/Mega drive one any day of the week.
  • I intend to at some point, it's probably the most high profile 16Bit game that eluded me.

I'm up for that Friday if you want, haven't played it properly for years.  The evil underwater level was mentioned in another thread recently.
  • Cool!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'll fight the battle for Capcom/snes Aladdin over Virgin/Mega drive one any day of the week.

Me too.

When I think of Disney games I think Capcom. The Sega efforts were decent as well to be fair.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Where are we with this next round then? Some sort of vague timeline?
  • Castle of Illusion on Master System is obviously the best Disney game.
  • JonB wrote:
    Where are we with this next round then? Some sort of vague timeline?

Everyone should keep chucking suggestions in, then we'll try to narrow it down to a chosen title by the weekend.
  • Gargoyles is supposed to be a decent Genesis only game based on a Disney film. I remember reading about it a while back and it peaked my interest. I should emulate it at some point.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Castle of Illusion on Master System is obviously the best Disney game.

Probably the best Sega one, definitely better than the Mega Drive games.

I think mine is one of the golden era NES ones, Duck Tales and Rescue Rangers spring to mind, the latter being good fun in co-op.

Speaking of co-op it's quite possible my favourite ever Disney game is one that sits still unplayed... Goof Troop.

It looks great and seemed really fun from the 10mins I gave it when I first picked it up.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Any Retro Pi/emulation types interested in kicking this off again?  Ideas welcome for how it should be done if so.
  • In the mean time, I think I'll mess around with a few golf games this evening, as forum Mario Golf has finished.
  • Always up for this, who was the other semi regulars? They didn't always play but just the comradery was cool.

Ideally I need a permanent solution to my Pi. As it is I can't have it set up due to lack of HDMI ports.

If we take turns picking is it ok if I be relatively boring and pick games from my NES/SNES collection that I've never done to get some use out of my retron5?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Pick what you want, unless we do themed weeks.
    the other semi regulars

Davy, Jon, Eric.  Um...Reg & Elf for the craic, occasionally.
  • Let's hope they chip in again.

As it's only me and you atm do you want to resume our fanboy 80s/90s form and pick a game each from our respective overlords?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I just lurk.
  • Not sure what happened to this last time. Everyone was in and then it just didn't happen.

As always, I don't mind contributing and giving something a go.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'll give something a go.
  • I'll say I'm in then may just not do anything.
  • Sounds like my sex life etc haha yeah woteva
  • Welcome back everyone, place your bets how long it'll last.  It'll definitely be great for a fortnight or so.

Retro, pick me a game to be getting on with before we sort any proper plans out then.  I've scrapped the golf idea, setting the Pi up now while I wait for my McDonald's.
  • Yep Im in. Could do with a bit of a retro session!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Too late Retro, I played through Batman on the Gameboy.  Not played many GB games, this one looked and sounded a bit better than I was expecting.  Even did a neat screen flip thing at the start of each stage and had a couple of Batwing bits.  4 levels is a bit short, and you can breeze through most of them, so [6], but good fun.
  • What's the format?

Pick a game and a set time. One per fortnight?

Will give people ample time to play that way.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That'll do. Is there a list of what has been covered so far?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!