Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have heard good things about Bloodlines but haven't tried it yet. Actually saw the cart at a boot sale and for some reason didn't pick it up. I believe it is rare.

Rondo of Blood is a nice one too , and I enjoyed the WiiWare version.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Good shout on the Wiiware one, was a decent little download that.

Bloodlines is fairly rare, goes for £30+ on eBay, you should have snapped it up.

Nice one @Eric hope you enjoy it. I'll start Ranger X this week.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Is Bloodlines the same as The New Generation or is that a different one?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Bloodlines has extra gore 'n stuff, but it's the same game.
  • Halfway through stage 8 on Pocky & Rocky 2, which is a epic vertical scrolling dragon ride.  I've long since given up on playing it properly, and I'm spamming the save states to remain powered up, but either way it's a damn fine game.  Having a stick to use as a close quarters projectile deflector is a touch of class, and key to getting anywhere in the game.  Enjoying unlocking extra characters too - they seem quite easy to find, but I bet I've missed one or two.

Will finish tomorrow then move on to Prince of Persia, assuming the PSP handles it as nicely as it has P&R2.
  • Really can't remember how far I got with P&R2 when I originally had it. Probably never finished it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm sometimes cautious about going back to an older game; especially one that I have recommended in the distant past.

Just spent 30mins with Super Magnetic Neo and it has aged very well. It's art design helps - very clean lines and simple shapes. It's quite charming- more so than I remember. Just as tricky though. Looks like it got some PAL love too - there's no 50/60Hz selection screen but it runs pretty close to full screen so it must have been optimised.

I even managed to find a save file in amongst my pile of VMUs - but I'll be starting afresh.
  • I'd love to know if it's as good as I remember - once it gets extra tricky it's an 'in the zone' kind of game iirc.  I've still got the game, and I've also go my mate's Dreamcast (should give that back really), but it's doing that thing where it doesn't recognise joypads.  Raving about Super Magnetic Neo was my first appearance in Online/Offline.  I said something about how everyone would love it if it had been developed by Treasure.
  • Also, apologies for so blatantly moving the goalposts with the 'what constitutes retro' thing (initially we said up to PS1, I think), but it is over 16yrs old now...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Apology unnecessary. In fact, thanks from me are due. This is in liklihood as good as you remember it.

The main levels are corridor like walkthroughs and are old school tough. In some cases it isn't fair. For example boulders will drop from the sky with no warning but for some reason it gets away with it. (At least it does with me and my old school sensibilities). It's try, try, and try again gameplay here but mercifully there are checkpoints.

What I had forgot about are the challenge bonus levels you get at the end of each level. I also forgot about the challenge mode available from the main menu which is a straight run through of the challenge levels. These are based purely on the magnetism attract/repulse mechanic.

It is still utterly charming throughout. I love the looks and the sounds on offer here.
  • And the slightly remixed Nightrider theme for the bonus levels :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are parts where the music in the main levels has a reggae/funk feel.

Boss of world 2-2 has thrown up a puzzle bit - having dispatched the boss you are presented with a wall of flame that is impassable and moves toward you. Guessing I have to backtrack until it hits water or something.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cleared a couple more levels last night. The jumping can be a bit frustrating - especially in the "into-the-screen" sections. There's a shadow but there's a level I'm on now that's set in the clouds and it feels very hit and miss. Still enjoying it though.

Clearing those levels has unlocked some new sights in the game's attract sequence - seeing some snow levels that feature belly sliding and another level features Neo riding on some sort of mechanical animal.
  • Have you done the minecart level yet?  Until a certain level in Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze it was tied for top spot alongside Dark Savior on my 'Best Minecart Sections Ever' list.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nope - only on the last level of World 2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The bonus levels are comedic in that I usually jump off the starting platform and plunge to my death. You only have one go. Thank goodness the challenge mode is there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Another point..this game would be an excellent candidate for speed running.

Zoinks.

• I got myself set up for my Super Castlevania IV sessionlast night. Downloaded ZSNES emulator which isn't as user friendly as Fusion the SEGA one I'm using, but after a bit of a tweak I got my pad set up and game loaded. 

Blasted, or should that be whipped through the first level, seems very nice, lovely soudtrack too so far!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The first couple of C IV levels are OK-ish. It soon cranks up a gear though. The soundtrack is amongst those that I have enjoyed the most in any game I've played.
  • Nice one @Eric

@davyK is right there though, it's a bit of a slow burner so the fact you've enjoyed to opening bodes well.

Soundtrack is fucking tip top, one of my favs ever. Love it in the first level when it kicks in upon entering the castle gates. So epic!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just cleared world 2 of Neo. The boss may have inspired the running man boss from Rez - in Neo the World 2 boss is made up of cubes and it has 3 different forms that it adopts in its phases. Not too tricky  which is out of kilter with the levels as they are pretty unforgiving.

The sparse restart points would hurt this game today - probably hurt it back in 2001.

Onto Cowboy world now (and I had forgot how nice the world transition hub is). Jesus level 1 is fucking annoying - difficulty is cranking up now - have to navigate down a corridor with 2 stampeding giant cattle and you avoid them using placed red pads to repulse yourself into the air - but there is ZERO margin for error. Jesus.
  • I seem to remember extra lives liberally scattered throughout the levels, which you have to grab on each run to cover the life you'll probably lose.  There are loads on the micecart section, which is in the world you're on I think.  You'll need those credits...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - it's pretty generous with lives. It would take it to be! I picked up about 12 when I completed the world 2 boss. There are 1up tokens in the levels but there are Z tokens that give you a life too when collect 100.
  • Right upto level 5 on Super Castlevania, checkpointing is a bit of of a pain so far but thats probably as I've gone soft. But unlimited continues mean that Im not save stating. Makes me feel a little more old Skool.

Some swish mode 7 grafix going down on level 4 and not too difficult as of yet but there's still a way to go (I read there's 11 levels). Bosses have been good but quite easy but generally enjoying this so far other than the Ninja Gaiden style flying birds and bats!

I'd be interested going back to the MD Castlevania after this to see whichbI prefer.
  • Swinging chandeliers can do one as can ghostly dancing boss couple. Level 6 got tough, reached level 7 but thats me done for tonight.
  • Eric wrote:
    I've gone soft

You're not alone.  I've given up on Pocky & Rocky 2 even with save states.  The end of world 8 was getting a bit too hectic, and as the PSP hangs for 10-15 secs or so every time you bring up the menu that'll do me.  I consulted YouTube for the rest, just had a half level and boss to go.  Great fun though, would've preferred the difficulty to be a bit less harsh on a powered down character, particularly on the bosses, but that's a standard shmup thing so I can't complain too much.  86% from my inner Radion Automatic.

Will give Prince of Persia a go next.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Castlevania bosses aren't a highlight for me. It's all about the levels. The boss fights don't get tough until close to the end.

On Neo I'm still at 3-1. Can get past the first part OK but there's a mechanical horse section I'm having diffs with. Must have burned 50 lives on it.

Have played around in the challenge mode too as a palate cleanser. It's a nice little distraction.
  • I'm not really finding the time for this. I have downloaded Wild Guns and gave it a very quick look - was a bit tricky on a keyboard and I need to change the controls around a bit. It seemed pretty good. I will try and get in a couple of hours over the next week or so, but that's probably about all.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Onto 3-2 of Neo now. It doesn't get any easier - onto a slippery slidey ice course now.

When going into the screen and you come to a jump I'm falling before hitting the jump button just a bit too often. For someone who has 120-ed Super Mario Galaxy and didn't have that problem it's showing a bit of a flaw in Neo but I'm still playing which is the main thing. The levels look infuriatingly simple which is the draw for me.

The bonus levels are starting to get more interesting. They aren't just about polarity now, the use of your momentum is becoming a big factor now.
  • I'll get on Ranger X on Wednesday, not had the time thus far.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!