Things that should not die with this gen
‹ Previous12
  • On the back on the 'Things that should die..' Thread, I've been thinking about things I'd like to remain that look as if they may be dying. We must surely have our gaming loves that we cherish that we'd like to see remain.

For me, I worry that traditional turn based JRPGs are on their way out. I love these and several of these are within my favorite ever games. Yet these no longer seem to be in fashion any more. The genre leaders are branching out their franchises into different directions. Final Fantasy is going action RPG and Dragon Quest needs to show what lies after it's MMO experiment. Paper Mario doesn't really count.

I worry that the turn based RPG is going to be restricted to handhelds. Which while nice means I don't get to use my TV for it, which I'd rather do, as I love to see my games on the big screen.

How about the rest of you?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Games
    Pads

Er

Voice Chat
    Fans in Consoles
    Multiplayer
    Singleplayer

Um

Those things
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    On the back on the 'Things that should die..' Thread, I've been thinking about things I'd like to remain that look as if they may be dying. We must surely have our gaming loves that we cherish that we'd like to see remain.

For me, I worry that traditional turn based JRPGs are on their way out. I love these and several of these are within my favorite ever games. Yet these no longer seem to be in fashion any more. The genre leaders are branching out their franchises into different directions. Final Fantasy is going action RPG and Dragon Quest needs to show what lies after it's MMO experiment. Paper Mario doesn't really count.

I worry that the turn based RPG is going to be restricted to handhelds. Which while nice means I don't get to use my TV for it, which I'd rather do, as I love to see my games on the big screen.

How about the rest of you?
    Surely this should have been posted in the things that must die thread.

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    yeah fuck off everything
  • Have we had this fred already?
    looks through bag of freds

I can't find it but I know Ive seen it.

walks into kitchen, slips, breaks hip, dies with this gen
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JRPGs will never die out (hopefully), but Final Fantasy turning itself into an ARPG is a fucking travesty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    On the back on the 'Things that should die..' Thread, I've been thinking about things I'd like to remain that look as if they may be dying. We must surely have our gaming loves that we cherish that we'd like to see remain. For me, I worry that traditional turn based JRPGs are on their way out. I love these and several of these are within my favorite ever games. Yet these no longer seem to be in fashion any more. The genre leaders are branching out their franchises into different directions. Final Fantasy is going action RPG and Dragon Quest needs to show what lies after it's MMO experiment. Paper Mario doesn't really count. I worry that the turn based RPG is going to be restricted to handhelds. Which while nice means I don't get to use my TV for it, which I'd rather do, as I love to see my games on the big screen. How about the rest of you?

I'm with this guy.
    Get schwifty.
  • Someone gets it.

At the end of the day, it isn't things that you don't want to go away, it's things that seem like they're on the way out that you really believe should stay.

There's mainstays everywhere, in every genre, some tropes are on their way out, but some have earned their place and yet while doing their job admirably are on their way out anyway.
  • Did the Persona guys just take an extended holiday this gen?
  • Oh OOOOOOOOH

Rockband type stuff is as good as dead, not sure I care about that.

There was a time I thought decent platformers outside of Ninty were gone but Rayman and Sonic Generations have sorted that.

I am worried publishers will be increasingly wary of backing SP only titles. I love a decent epic to play through, for example I struggle to see another Mass Effect trilogy kicking off without heavy MP stuff or some form of post purchase money making.
  • You have to change that 3in1 av. It's confusing.
  • Rockband type stuff is as good as dead

Which makes me very sad.

Putting a disc in and it playing without installing.
  • They missed an opportunity to make a great RB track store. Zen Pinball shows how it could have been done.
  • Genuine technical verve
  • Get your own thread ideas!

Anyway,

Rhythm Action
    Lightgun Games
    Arcade Racers (full price)
  • They missed an opportunity to make a great RB track store. Zen Pinball shows how it could have been done.

How so?
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    On the back on the 'Things that should die..' Thread, I've been thinking about things I'd like to remain that look as if they may be dying. We must surely have our gaming loves that we cherish that we'd like to see remain. For me, I worry that traditional turn based JRPGs are on their way out. I love these and several of these are within my favorite ever games. Yet these no longer seem to be in fashion any more. The genre leaders are branching out their franchises into different directions. Final Fantasy is going action RPG and Dragon Quest needs to show what lies after it's MMO experiment. Paper Mario doesn't really count. I worry that the turn based RPG is going to be restricted to handhelds. Which while nice means I don't get to use my TV for it, which I'd rather do, as I love to see my games on the big screen. How about the rest of you?
    I'm with this guy.

As am I. I was actually just lying in bed, unable to sleep, reminiscing about the Sakaguchi and Uematsu days of yore. Wanted to come here and share my "only yesterday" moment. This thread was as good a place as any.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Group hug, guys.
    Get schwifty.
  • Games that you pay for once and get the whole thing.
  • Get your own thread ideas!  Anyway, Rhythm Action  Lightgun Games  Arcade Racers (full price)
    On board with all three of these.  It's a shame old style light guns don't work with HDTVs, as holding a plastic housing for a fleshlight with a pink ball on the end doesn't really make me feel like a badass.
    Raiziel wrote:
    Group hug, guys.

Huggles
  • Time Crisis 4 did. It was just a bit of a pain in the hoop to set up. Great once you did though.
  • The duck button was on the gun though wasn't it? I loved the PS2 setup where you could put a pad on the floor and use that as the footpedal.
  • Yeah. Sucked ass Razing Storm and the PSN versions of HotD didn't get Guncon3 support.
  • Isn't that because new TVs aren't compatible with lightguns?
  • Well, yes and no. The Guncon4 got around that by giving you USB sensors you had to put on the top corners of yo TV. That was the pain in the hoop I alluded to earlier.
  • Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that one. I can only assume that's why Move was the main focus for Razing Storm and House of the Dead.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are some spectacular accessories for Wii remotes and "light gun" games..

Look at this beast called the Buck Shot - has a pump action for reloading - made for HOTD.

buck-shot2.jpg

buckshot_s1.jpg

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Fuck Nintendo fo rill but I gotta hand it to them for getting the remote out there, absolutely the best FPS peripheral I've ever used.

If VR goggles are going to be a regular next gen object they're gonna be a tad shit without summat like that white plastic oblong.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Not being an FPS afficiando I don't rate my opinion too highly in the area - but playing Black Ops on Wii with the remote and nunchuck made me realise I could enjoy the genre - I've always found FPS control to be a barrier for me - until this.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The standout is still the retrofitting they did for the Metroid Primes, but the idea remains solid to me. Even wrist-ache isn't a thing insofar as I was always able to rest mine on my lap and play for hours with no issues whatsoever, including no loss of accuracy.
  • Yeah, it was a great feature - best thing about the Wii controller.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!