regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So, rather than do a 'favourite games of the generation' thread, I thought it'd be interesting to see what games people would recommend if you fancy taking a wee step off the beaten track. Means people can do some last hurrahs with some non-mainstreamers.
    Basic rules for this are that they have to have been console releases and they have to have had PAL releases. You can pick up to 3...

Here's my top 3

Eternal Sonata (PS3/360)
    934162_80186_front.jpg

At the start of this gen I had a real love/hate with JRPGs. I guess I was just totally burned out on them after my PS2 explosion, which also involved finally finishing FF9 as well. When Eternal Sonata came along, I was in because of the combat, mostly. It allowed some real-time stuff, and was quite a bit simplified. That, plus the overall luscious colours of the piece turned me on to it. The plot was a bit overblown JRPG stuff, but I loved the attempt to do something different, and thought the Chopin stuff worked incredibly well. Of course, the music was also stunning. Loved how after every boss you got a wee Chopin piece. 
    An odd, divisive, but worthwhile game.

Enslaved: Odyssey To The West (360/PS3)
    enslaved_x360_box-front_final.jpg

A game that just never got a fair shake at it, in my opinion. Pushed out in the midst of Assassin's Creed 2/ Modern Warfare 2, a game based on an old Chinese story, with no shooting and rather than greys and browns, it pushed a bright, green colour palette (hey, a connection is forming with the games I like...) The combat was fairly rudimentary, but damn, the title looked lovely, and featured some incredibly animation. Ninja Theory went on to do DMC, and it's pretty obvious from this why they were chosen for it. The ending is absolute meta-wank, but that makes me love it more.

Catherine (360/PS3)
    catherine_ps3_cover1.jpg

Yep, Catherine. I'm currently replaying it, and for every block puzzle that does my head in, there's glorious wanderings around the bar, listening to odd, funny, sad conversations, and just enjoying that Persona-esque writing that nails relationships down. I guess because I'm getting married, I've paid a bit more focus to old Vincent's position (he's still a dick IMHO) but again, a good visual style, and a game genre not really seen in such a big release. It's the very definition of a Marmite game, and I think some of the sexual politics are a wee bit dubious, but it's definitely worth examining.

So... What's yours?

reg recommends:
    Catherine
    Enslaved
    Eternal Sonata

Bollockoff recommends:
    The Darkness

Stormyskies recommends:
    Black Knight Sword
    Apple Jack
    Apple Jack 2

Webbins recommends:
    Earth Defence Force 2017
    Front Mission Evolved
    Beautiful Katamari
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Great idea, especially as I'm ignoring the next gen for the foreseeable.
  • Obviously Deadly Premonition. It played like an absolute dog but was so charming that you barely noticed or cared.
  • Ha, I own all three. Got stuck on Catherine, never finished it.
  • SPELUNKY. - I mean - THE NEXT GENERATION brought with it basically an infrstructure to play games that could probably have been made on an amiga 500.
  • Ha, I own all three. Got stuck on Catherine, never finished it.

I got to the last level I think and it just went mental.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Great thread.

The Darkness

One of the first current gen console FPS's I played so could be i'm looking back on it with nostalgia, but I thought this was a very well put together game with decent production values. Great characterization and a gripping plot from the same lads that made Escape from Butcher Bay. Pretty morbid to say as well but it was entertaining eating mafia thugs still beating hearts for health.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    I have all three of those games and haven't touched them.  I need a kick up the arse.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'll always remember Eternal Sonata for its infuriatingly confusing revolving dungeon.  Good game, though.
    Get schwifty.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Worst game ever. Revolving dungeon, my arse.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Give us a hug.
    Get schwifty.
  • Great idea for a thread. Amma go nuts on it tomorrow when I'm sober.
  • Yup great stuff Reg, and Enslaved is aces.  One of the most underrated games of this gen. 

I'm found myself somewhat charmed by Black Knight Sword.  It's a beautiful thing to look at, seriously challenging, genuinely bad shit crazy, but above all it's fun to play.

Also big on fun/challenge/crazy (and two of my most treasured finds of this gen) are the magical XBLIG platformers, Apple Jack and Apple Jack 2.  Just buy 'em.  

• Ah, Deadly Premonition, another on the pile of shame, I picked it up as a curio.

929255_84094_front.jpg
    One of my early 360 titles, the scale of the giant alien robots and the apocalyptic explosions that greet their demise are as impressive as the lo-fi production and crude graphics are cringeworthy. As compelling as crack.

1655.jpg

Another budget production, this time of a popular Japanese mech series. This happened along at the right price just when I had a mech itch to scratch. Went in not expecting much but quite enjoyed the customisation on offer on tailoring your mechs. I'm not familiar with the series but I seem to remember this was an attempt to appeal to Western tastes.

Beautiful_katamari_cover.jpg

First time on Xbox, and something that had passed me by on PS2 so in a fit of indifference with some of the titles at the time, I thought why not. As bonkers as you can get, I actually got the fear when starting to roll up countries, continents and planets, I felt so small.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Also, good thread, Reg, a real antidote to next gen squabbling.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Not really curious about any of these.
  • Agreed, cracking idea for a thread. Will share my besties tomorrow when I am near a PC.
  • Ooh, I like this, right up my street.

From Dust
    Amazing evolution of the "falling sand" thing that's been around for years, but in 3D and with really spiffy graphics. There's a story mode, where you take a tribe through a series of levels, building and protecting villages at totems, plus a pretty hardcore puzzle mode with all kinds of objectives. The last level in story mode is actually a full-on sandbox, which is one of the best things ever to play if you're stoned.

Stacking
    Lovely little puzzle game where you play Russian stacking dolls and have to use the right one in the right place in order to achieve objectives. Light hearted, great style and very chilled.

Shadow Complex
    Well made and enjoyable modern metroidvania. Not much else to say, really.

Honourable mentions:
    Not all of these I'd really count as "curios". The first, bold ones were very nearly picked for the main three, but I felt the others could do with pointing out a bit more.

Journey
    Flower
    Mark of the Ninja
    Mirror's Edge
    Braid
    Noby Noby Boy
    Vanquish
    Bayonetta
    Unfinished Swan
    Darwinia+
    Child of Eden
    Ilomilo
    Hydrophobia (but only if you got it for a quid or whatever it was)
  • deadly premonition hands down. utterly fantastic game.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I might pick up a copy of Eternal Sonata at some point. I've got Catherine downloaded from PS+, need to actually play it.

I'd do my own suggestions but all of the games I've played this generation have momentarily escaped my head.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Am I the only one on the forum who played El Shaddai? Man, if only a game could be great on a designer's visual fidelity alone.
  • I did get Hydrophobia cheap, it was never as bad as the gaming press painted it, it just wasn't as amazing as the hype lavished on it. Water physics were good and an interesting mechanic, but as it was intending to be episodic, it was never allowed to build on its potential following the panning it got.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    I did get Hydrophobia cheap, it was never as bad as the gaming press painted it

Wasn't it quite substantially updated a bit after launch?
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I did get Hydrophobia cheap, it was never as bad as the gaming press painted it
    Wasn't it quite substantially updated a bit after launch?

It was, but I think that was before the discount. It really wasn't great - hence only counting at the discounted price - but I thought it was mechanically unique and interesting enough to be included.

Good call on El Shaddai, Bollockoff. If I'd remembered I definitely would have included that; very interesting looking, even if the gameplay was distinctly average.

Edit: Good god, @SpaceGazelle, fix that image.
  • I think so yes. There was a bit of a reaction to the scores by the dev and they attempted to paper the cracks. Damage was done though, and if you'll forgive me, this game sank with the occasional discounted resurfacing.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    The last level in story mode is actually a full-on sandbox, which is one of the best things ever to play if you're stoned.

On the last level I found it impossible to block volcanoes that i'd created. So it was a constant battle to save the huge amounts of flora and fauna that had spawned from roving firestorms. In turn, I had to deal with tsunamis I made by dumping huge amounts of water and earth everywhere. In a way it just goes to lengths to prove the majesty of nature and how i'm an idiot with planning.

In short, loved From Dust. It just needed a bit more content.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Speaking of PixelJunk, if anyone tries putting PixelJunk Eden in here I'll fucking shoot 'em.
  • If anyone puts Watch Dogs in here they are a ritard.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!