GOTY 2013 - Last is First
  • Maybe, but with PS+ stuff and GTAO it will be a while.

TBF I never clicked with Uncharted either so shouldn't have expected too much from the gameplay.
  • Go on, do it for me, how often am I wrong about stuff?
  • Always!
    Or never,  maybe sometimes.
  • I got to a point where
    Spoiler:

Oddly I had no issues of that kind.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    GTAV, Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite for me, seeing as they're the only new ones bar FM14 (instantly disqualified) I've played.

Probably Borderlands 2 tbh.
  • Does seem like one of those bits that isn't going to bother everyone, or indeed most people.
    Spoiler:
  • Mario 3D World
    The Last of Us
    Tomb Raider

Runner up: Rayman Legends. Might sneak in when I've played a bit more of it.
  • Basing the only things I've played that were released this year:

Device 6
    Animal Crossing
    Papers Please

Papers would probably come higher, but I've only spent about 10 minutes on it.

Lots of stuff would almost certainly come higher, if I'd played them; Mario World, Saints Row, Gone Home...
  • I need to play Papers Please, got it waiting. Tomb Raider has no place on these lists.
  • I only played the games on my list, although I did genuinely like Tomb Raider.

Edit: and GTA V, but I can't put it in after only two hours.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    For me it's

Tearaway
    The Last of Us
    Mario

I haven't played TLoU or Mazza, so I don't care if you discount those two votes.
    Tearaway though... It's probably the freshest game this year.

I like the care and attention they put in the fourth wall concept. Some games nod towards the fourth wall... Some allow you to plaster your face onto characters... The GTA games always gave you a map. But offering accurate papercraft nets of the in-game characters?

That's a first.

The game also presents a great model for in-game twitter/facebook integration, and leveraging the player's creativity, without overt complexity.

None of the forerunners in our current, tentative list attempt as much new shit as Tearaway does... What's more, the game succeeds in all of these areas.

Very thoughtful game...

See how there are no lives? you just fall off the stage, and float back. That's for kids, that is... But the game is still critical success, and even us hardcore dweebs can't knock the game.

I have a feeling that I'd enjoy Mazza more though...

It does look very slick.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Zelda ALBW may well top my list
  • Are we doing 3 or 5?

Anyway, here's 5.

1. GTAV
    2. Resogun
    3. Tomb Raider
    4. Guacamelee
    5. FIFA 14

As impressive as TLoU was, I just couldn't be arswed plodding through it, and no doubt missed out on all it's wonders, but I traded it for GTAV which was actually, like, y'know, fun.
  • 5. That's a shockingly bad list, you have no taste.
  • Guacafuckamelee?!
  • TheDJR wrote:
    5. That's a shockingly bad list, you have no taste.

Hence I drink with you.

To be honest, I've not played much else other than whatever PS+ had to offer.
  • JMW wrote:
    Guacafuckamelee?!

Yup, great fun it is too.

• Gonzo wrote:
    GTA v and gowj, on the basis that they are the only games I played this year.

Aye, the only other game in the OP I've played is Revengeance, and that was gash.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I said to myself I'd play TLoU before year's out.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    So adored said this:
    adored wrote:
    Aye, the only other game in the OP I've played is Revengeance, and that was gash.

Making me wonder what games actually are on the OP list. Full lol at GTAV not getting on there, what with it being mentioned in the second post and then consistently throughout the thread, being well recieved on here and by the critics and that. Good to see that random game prejudices aren't having an impact on this thing. Highly amusing stuff.
  • 1. GTA V
    2. GTA Online
    3. Plants vs Zombies 2
    4. Tomb Raider

Turns out I've only played 3 games released in 2013, which is the only reason I've got TR on that list.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The Last of Us - it's easy to be snooty about videogames and there's an awful lot of pretentiousness on here at times but this was a game that matched it's ambition with a measured and mature storyline. Yes, the gameplay was clunky at times, but when a game has been created with as much skill and artistry as this you can allow it a few issues. 
    Splinter Cell:Blacklist - only just started playing this but the range and content is superb. Be psycho Sam or stalker-Sam. Play on your own, co-op or MP. Enjoyable romp. 
    Metro:Last Light - if you like the first, you'll like this. More of the same although a bit easier. 
    Papers Please - a game that you become genuinely involved in and feel waves of guilt as you send people packing to their deaths or look the other way when they provide dodgy papers. Fantastic stuff.
    Lego City Undercover - a cracking family game to play together but offers something for kids and adults. Cultural references abound.

Was tempted to put Minion Rush for being catnip for toddlers.
  • So adored said this:
    adored wrote:

Making me wonder what games actually are on the OP list. Full lol at GTAV not getting on there, what with it being mentioned in the second post and then consistently throughout the thread, being well recieved on here and by the critics and that. Good to see that random game prejudices aren't having an impact on this thing. Highly amusing stuff.

I'm about to update the OP...
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So adored said this:
    adored wrote:

GTAV wasn't out when the OP was written. Not adding it purely because of HYPE! seems reasonable enough to me.
  • GTA Online is not a seperate game.
  • Some people are mentioning GTAO. Is that a separate game or just the online part of GTAV? Excuse my GTA-noob ness.
  • How can you possibly answer before I ask?!?! MADNESS!!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But seriously, DJ, how'd you do that? Some kind of ESP? Magic powers?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!