Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We need two GOTYs; GOTYFPTP and GOTYPR.
  • Well no, but yes.

I'm not really interested in what OUR game of the year is. I'm more interested in what's YOUR game of the year, and why YOU think so. Heck, it might actually be something I've never heard of, and it might actually get more people playing it, instead of fucking around with lists and spreadsheets and "it's naaaaht a gaaaaahhhhmmmmeeee waaaaaah" posts.
  • We need a list of GOTY acronyms.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Same as last year? Top 5 from everyone in order?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    We need a list of GOTY acronyms.

SGOTY:AEHFT (Super Game of the Year: Acronym Edition Hyper Fighting Turbo)

TheDJR wrote:
    Same as last year? Top 5 from everyone in order?

Five games? Who had the time to play five games this year?
  • Though on reflection my real best play was "how much alcohol can I consume tonight alone and still locate my front door". I won every time.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Papers Please is still sitting in my downloads folder...

This is the only game I've spent time with, that was released this year, and that I actually liked, despite barely playing it.

It gets utterly trounced by The Room, but that was released last year...
    The year in which TWD won (brrrrrr).

Sensible money is betting on GTA5 and the Last Of Us.
    I haven't played the latter, but would prefer it to win.

Mario and Tearaway are the (not so) rank outsiders, given that they only just came out like, yesterday...

It's going to be harder to make the same mistake we made last year, at least*.

*Yes I went there.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I'm only sure of three so far but the order is to be decided.
  • Games from this year that I've played:-

GTA5 - Dogshit

Bioshock - Dogshitter

Rayman iOS whatever - got bored after a few levels. 

Fire Emblem - Good.
  • @DJR: Yep, let's do it. 

@Gav: I see. But isn't there more chance of seeing games you haven't heard of if people list more than one? Example, my fave so far is Last of Us. Or maybe Mario. If I list more, I might say Outlast too. We could get people to do a small narrative for the game at the top of their list to explain why it's their GOTY.
  • Last is the best written AAA game-cutscene-game thing probably to date and may well be as good as that janky-ass format can be within its consistently irritating limitations.

I wish they'd stop now but they won't.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Completely missed Outlast...

Appreciate this thread all the more now. : )
  • TLoU
    GTAV
    Pokemon X/Y

That's mine so far, not in order though.
  • So far, in no order:

Last of Us
    Mario 3DW
    Revengeance
    Bioshock Infinite
    Tomb Raider

Potentials I need to play/finish:

Rayman Legends
    Zelda LBW
    Tearaway
    Gone Home
    Outlast
    Papers Please
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Okami HD. Fuck common sense qualification.

Yet to play GTAV to my shame but at the moment it's actually a draw in my mind between Revengeance and Last of Us.
  • There's really only one thing I can vote for if I look in my heart.

Naked cockney president I will neva4get you, you will always be fondly remembered, and now that there's Christmas DLC we can be together again.

Saints Row IV is my game of the year.  

Runner up vote goes to Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R. Best fighting game ever and I say that after 5 years of heavily playing Street Fighter 4, and a fucking love affair with Tekken that has existed since 1998.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I could easily vote for 5 games, another 5 if I get time to play them.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Tomb raider
    Last of us
    Animal crossing new leaf
    Ni no kuni

These are all games that have grabbed me from the beginning with their gameplay or simple charm and continue to push me to play them on a regular basis.

The last of us
    GTAV (I appreciate what it tried to achieve)
    Animal crossing (provided more tense online turnip dashes than I care to remember )

That's it.

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I've played 3 games from this year so far and didn't finish any of them. Revengeance and Bioshock just didn't grab me. The worst was probably GTA V but then I've played the online game shitloads, so I dunno. And even though those loading times, and the instability of it in the first few weeks, and how much I despised the single player game on virtually every level, it's probably the best new game I've played this year.

I still have Saints Row and Tomb Raider to try if I get round to them in time.
  • TheDJR wrote:
    Same as last year? Top 5 from everyone in order?
    I think so. I just don't think there should be a running tally this time, just one final count after the voting's stopped.
  • Yeah, a running tally is where madness lies.
  • I can think of 4 potential ways to do it. 2 of them require someone else's work. 1 of them is a dumb way. Another way is fraught with danger.

1. Make a post, only one post and list your games in it. You can edit it, but only up to a cutoff date. Gaf style, requires a script to tally it.
    2. Penny arcade forum style - a checkbox system where you tick all the games you played out of a list of all released, then rank them until you come up with a top 5/10/whatever. This requires someone to code it.
    3. Google docs. Post a link to an online spreadsheet anyone can edit. Post a link securely I guess. Brought to you by the power of the cloud.
    4. Manually.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I've only finished two games that were released this year, Bioshock Infinite and Thomas Was Alone.
  • 1.GTAV
    2.GTAO
    3.Rayman Legends

Worst game I played this year, Jak and Daxter HD, pile of turd
    Most disappointing TLoU, I'm sorry but the gameplay is absolute shit regardless of how good the story/characters/everything else are.
  • That's how I feel about BioShock.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    1.GTAV 2.GTAO 3.Rayman Legends Worst game I played this year, Jak and Daxter HD, pile of turd Most disappointing TLoU, I'm sorry but the gameplay is absolute shit regardless of how good the story/characters/everything else are.

Hmm... Is Rayman really that good? I have it, but dropped it after a 30minute fuck about.
    I might end up playing it properly after the GOTY is decided, and realise it's better than Mazza...
  • TheDJR wrote:
    That's how I feel about BioShock.

Fair point but at least Bioshock you could just power through. I gave up on TLoU because of endlessly stealthing a room on repeat and failing. Buttons were crazy fiddly for a game that came out this year and AI seemed a bit random in difficulty.

Edit:
    Ref Rayman
    I loved it but I imagine others won't. It is a fantastic example of a rhythmic 2D platformer but if that doesn't float your boat then it won't change your mind.
  • TLoU improved massively for me when I put points into aiming and stopped reloading any sections where I got discovered. It really made you feel like you were desperately trying to survive.
  • I got to a point where
    Spoiler:
  • That's barely scratching the surface, it didn't click for me until after that. Give it another chance?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!