Papers, Please
  • PapersPlease-2013-04-21-20-24-47-56.bmp
    Surprised this didn't already have its own thread!

Papers, Please came out on Steam yesterday.  It's a strange indie management game set in a fictional communist country called Arstotzka.  The premise is really simple; you've been selected in the labour lottery to become a border inspector at a newly-opened checkpoint between Arstotzka and its neighbour Kolechia, that it's been fighting with for years.  The game layout is very simple:

gaming_papers_please_2.png

Top shows the world around your little checkpoint.  Bottom left is your view, with whoever's trying to get through.  As they slide their documents through the little slot, you move them across to the desk space on the right to open them up and examine them, ultimately deciding whether to let them into Arstotzka or send them packing.

It starts off so simply; "border just reopening; Arstotzkans only."  So just check the passport country and the validity date, and look for odd errors like wrong sex.  Easy; you're paid 5 credits per person processed, which goes on rent, food and heating for your family.  But it progressively gets more complex which makes it very compelling.  First they let foreigners in, but you have to check the issuing cities on passports is valid using an almanac.  Then they decide Arstotzkans need an ID card, which you have to cross reference with the passport.  Then foreigners need an entry ticket; then a permit with more details and a different expiry date.  Then they start a work permit scheme.  Then forgeries start to appear.  Then diplomats.  Then....

You get 2 free mistakes per day, then you start getting fined, and that starts to affect your family.  There are numerous moral choices.  Do you let someone through who's being persecuted, even though it means a 10 credit fine, which means you can't afford medicine for your sick son or might have to do without heating?  Or do you look after your own and send them to their doom?  Then a guard offers you money if you detain more people.  So instead of just rejecting them for an out-of-date passport, do you send them to prison if it makes you a few credits?

The story mode has 20 endings, and there's an endless mode with various modifiers and scoring systems.  A free beta is still available; try it!!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Played beta. Had a time. Will investigate full game
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Sounds intriguing, will purchase soon.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Has to be an ios version in the pipeline right?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    [Sigh.]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Has to be an ios version in the pipeline right?

Hope so.
  • It's still very good.  There's a shadowy cult who make an appearance, the secret police pop up every so often, you end up with some photos of wanted criminals to check out, and the moral choices keep coming.  Regarding those:
    Spoiler:
  • Also, from the Eurogamer review, this is totally right:
    Before long, the number of things you need to watch out for is so overwhelming that it's easy to botch the job by missing something obvious - like somebody not matching their passport photo.
    It's so tense.  You check their 5 or 6 documents, their work permit, their entry permit, passport and identity supplement, then let them through.  Then watch them walk out of your booth as the next one comes in, waiting to see if the little printer starts up and runs off a citation warning.
    As it does, you find yourself saying "what!  He was valid!  He was allowed in!"  before it reveals that actually, it said female when he was male and you didn't double-check by fingerprinting him/her to confirm their identity.  Or that their passport photo was of someone else, and you didn't check that most basic thing!
    I've now got to the stage where:

Spoiler:
  • i read the eurogamer review the other day and this does look interesting.  when's the next steam sale? ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ...this does look interesting. when's the next steam sale? ;)
    This.
  • All my family died and I lost my job. how do you make more money?
  • Can one not just bork the whole show by refusing anyone entry just in case? Narratively that doesn't seem like something one'd get reprimanded for, I mean it's a totalitarian state.
  • You get docked money if you refuse valid applicants, then your family dies from sickness and cold and you loose your job.
  • But how do they tell if they're valid afterwards? Aren't they in fact relying on you to provide that very ruling?
  • Brooks wrote:
    But how do they tell if they're valid afterwards? Aren't they in fact relying on you to provide that very ruling?

You're instantly told if you got the entry visa wrong.

It's a videogame, Brooks. It still abides by videogame rules unfortunately.

It would be far more satisfying if you had the ability to let whomever you want in, with the understanding that if you fuck up someone might fire you, kill you, etc.

The instant notification that you fucked up doesn't really do anything for me.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Don't you only get money for letting people in to?
  • No, I'm pretty sure you get money for handling people correctly.
  • Just took a punt on this from steam and I'm gobsmacked.  The continuous questioning of your own morality really sets it apart from most other games and the pressure just builds and builds.  Soon you will be arresting people for the smallest excuse so you can get the kickback from the guards to pay for medicine for your sick child.  Can't recommend it enough for a few hours of soul searching that ramps up with every passing day.
  • There isn't much else to say that everyone else has already said but I really enjoyed this too.

Only negative part of my experience came from me trying to finish it in a few sittings which made it feel like actual work by the end of it. Unless that was the point as well.

Will definitely revisit this in a few years' time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!