Google and Apple consoles............Hooray!
‹ Previous12345
  • At least WSJ thinks they're coming....
    Linky

k2n9.png
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Of course Apple are making a console. Just like when the share price dropped below $400 again stories about them making an TV appeared again. And a watch. Again.

As for Google/Android. I wouldn't be surprised to see one. Sucks to be Ouya.
  • Dunno, they're already to market, and seem to be the only name to have penetrated into the consciousness. It's the 14 million other Android consoles I feel sorry for.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Sucks to be Ouya.

How long have you been waiting to use that one?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    Sucks to be Ouya.
    How long have you been waiting to use that one?

When was the Ouya announced?
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Pippin One?

NEVA 4GET
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Apple have already announced their new console. It's called ios7 and it comes with frickin' controller support baked in. C'mon! IS NOBODY HERE INTERESTED IN THIS? Honestly, you lot.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm not interested no, but when you say controller support, I hope it's an actual controller not those goofy clip on things.
  • You're not interested but you have an opinion on what type of controller it should be? What is that if not interested?

I agree btw. F**k the clip on. I want a PS or X-Box clone that works via wire and wireless.

Seriously tho, does no-one else see the disruptive potential of this for the games industry? Does no-one else see Apple taking on the AAA consoles by stealth here? Drip, drip, waterfall.
  • Nope. Cos tablets and phones are shit for anything than simple games.

And you think Apple could produce anything that'd cost less than (say) a PS4? And still persuade people to make games for it?

Basically we don't need another console with another standard.

Mind you, there's one thing which could work....... I need a piss but I'll tell you in a bit.
  • Longest wazz evar.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Probably age related.
  • Right, where was I.

Yeah, if Google made a properly powerful console, on a par with the xbone/PS4, sold it at a loss, and charged a very low / zero license fee. Then it could work.

Of course, why would they do that? Because it'd also be a Google TV box thingy. You know, for YouTube and that.
  • We've still got an outside crapper. It's quite a walk, and you have to be careful in the dark.
  • It won't be some power slab. It will be a set top box thing with controller support. aimed at casuals and does stuff other than playing games. Same with Google. More hyped and fancy versions of the things they do already.

So they'll be comparatively cheap.

They could do the same thing to consoles that phones have done to dedicated handhelds. Which is get a lot of dev support, some decent games and most of the consumer interest.
  • Casuals do not play games on a TV.

Tablets exist, phones exist.

Android consoles are fucking gash, underpowered slabs of amateur-hour turd, in a cheap box with no decent games.

They aren't even cheap.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Casuals do not play games on a TV.
    All the reasons they don't could be removed with a consumer friendly, cheapo iOS device that has a load of Netflix apps etc
  • WorKid wrote:

My parents loved Wii Sports. Are they casuals? Or are they another segment even further removed?

I genuinely think Apple's app eco system combined with an upgraded version of Apple TV and a controller standard that works across iOS devices could shake things up.
  • "loved"

Do they still play games? They have a Wii and access to all sorts of wonderful games - do they play any?
  • monkey wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    All the reasons they don't could be removed with a consumer friendly, cheapo iOS device that has a load of Netflix apps etc

You put "cheapo" next to "iOS device", was that intentional?

How cheap are 360s now btw?
  • WorKid wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    You put "cheapo" next to "iOS device", was that intentional? How cheap are 360s now btw?
    Almost double the price of an Apple TV. 

I think you've got it in your mind that these machines (still all rumours obv) will be set up to play games and be advertised in that way. They'll be just like phones and tablets and targeted at a range of people with a load of functions. I can easily see people buying games for 69p on a box they bought to watch Netflix and iPlayer on. 

What did you think MS was trying to do with the first Xbone press conference? That was an idea that went down like a pint of cold sick because none of the people watching a games console announcement were the people they were trying to suck in.
  • Right now I keep reading commentary about people having a single mobile computing device they can take with them and switch functionality whenever they like. I experience that myself. For example, since moving from UK my ipad is now my primary internet/email device, my newspaper, my TV, my music studio (amateur, yes, but good enough for me when plugged into an electric piano), my stereo, my video player, my music shop, and my portable games machine. Surely you must admit that the iOS disruption of the mobile console market suggests a trend that could, just possibly, move over into the TV console market?

Many people have an iPad or iPhone, many also an Apple TV. If an extra 60 quid gets them a controller that means they can play half decent games costing 69p on their TV, tablet and mobile phone, then I think that's an attractive proposition.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You can connect an iDevice to a TV now. Why would you buy another iDevice with less functionality just so you can leave it connected to the TV?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You can connect an iDevice to a TV now. Why would you buy another iDevice with less functionality just so you can leave it connected to the TV?
    Because otherwise it would only work when the person who owns the device is in the room and has it plugged in.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    And the kind of people that would buy an Apple "console" to tap into the rich ecosystem are the kind of people that have only one iDevice in the house. I think not.
  • Your argument against Apple making a set top box (something they already do, so fuck alone knows what point you're trying to make) is that it does the same thing as their tablet? 

Did you say the same thing about tablets and phones?
  • Mod74 wrote:

You wouldn't. That's my point. I have an iOS device, I have an Apple TV. With iOS7 it seems all I need is a controller and suddenly I have a half decent console eco system that works across mobile and TV, with a huge library of games ready to go and an eager developer community ready to take advantage and give me new gaming experiences. My main point is that I'm amazed that on this forum no-one, except maybe Monkey judging by recent comments and a rare few others, seems to think this will be disruptive to the current gaming industry. Honestly, in recent weeks the main gaming news for me was the introduction of a controller standard with iOS7. I'm very interested in PS4 and Xbox One, will probably end up getting one of them, but I think it's iOS that has most potential to change the gaming market right now.
  • monkey wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    You put "cheapo" next to "iOS device", was that intentional? How cheap are 360s now btw?

I thought Apple TV was £100 and 360s were £125.
  • WorKid wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    I thought Apple TV was £100 and 360s were £125.
    Not the one I saw on Amazon. Maybe it was top of the range. It was the first one I saw.
  • It might be disruptive, but it will also be crap.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!