DOTA2
‹ Previous123456728
  • eqxpid.png

This is a link, you should click it.

XMcsfyQ.jpg?1

What is DOTA2
    DOTA2 is a MOBA. That's Multiplayer Online Battle Arena, one of the many contested definitions of the genre, but the one that sticks the most.

What does that even mean?
    It's a type of game which involves you playing a hero, in a team of 5 heroes, against an opposing team. Your goal, is to beat the enemy team by destroying their home base, or 'Ancient'. To do so, you must pick of weaker AI controlled enemies who follow a set path down one of the three 'lanes' on the map, in an attempt to destroy the towers that defend each sides lanes and Ancient.

Sw79q.jpg

That makes absolutely no sense
    Correct! And until you watch a video about it, it probably will make zero sense to you as it is a concept that is easy to explain in motion, as their are hundreds of tiny little things that stack together to make this game incredibly deep and rich in strategy. It would be impossible to cover all of this in an OP, so it's probably better to watch a few videos first, like so:

DOTA2 in 4 minutes (warning, he talks fast)

OK, I get that, but that's still pretty vague...
    There is a lot to DOTA2. It's very hard to stress this. To learn more, here are some resources that may help you:

Err, ok, but can you tell me more?

I'll do my best. DOTA is very complicated. 
    What is happening?
    You pick a hero to play in a team of five, against another team of five. There are currently 101 heroes that fall into three types and a handful of roles. The three types are as follows:
    Strength
    Usually slow, high base damage, high HP heroes. Nearly always melee, and frequently have useful stuns and damage dealing abilities.
    Agility
    usually fast, high armour/low health, high attack speed heroes. Mixed between ranged and melee, usually have lots of high damage abilities and passives that boost stats.
    Intelligence
    Large mana pool with varied skills from summoning, to teleporting, stunning and other crazy abilities. Frequently used in support roles.

The 101 heroes currently in the game all have one of those types as their primary statistic in the game. Beyond that however, there is much more depth. There are a number of roles that each hero falls into and frequently their abilities allow them to occupy multiple roles, with item builds helping dictate the exact use of the hero. They are roughly as follows:

Carry
    Heroes that need to farm (get last hits, kill enemy heroes) so they are able to "carry" the team to victory. They come into their own in late through their item setup and levelled up abilities. They are the usually the fastest attackers in the game, and are frequently agility heroes. There are two subclasses, Hard-Carry and Semi-Carry, the former excell in mid-late game due to their abilities scaling to stats well, whereas the latter excel during the mid game as they have high base damage in their abilities but do not scale.

Lane Support
    Heroes that do not need a lot of gold to be useful supporters. They are often ranged heroes who have the ability to replenish allied units, or repel the enemy units. They go well with Hard Carries.

Disabler
    Heroes that help with crowd control by shutting down specific enemies or areas through abilities that often slow, poison, silence or cripple enemy units in a variety of ways.

Ganker
    A hero that can "gank" enemy heroes. Ganking is moving from your current position, to another lane with the intention of killing an enemy hero. They are frequently good at crowd control, and go on to be effective semi-carries as their ability to kill peaks in the mid game.

Nuker
    A hero with abilities that do high burst (instant) damage or high DPS (damage per second) usually at the expense of high mana requirements and lengthy cooldowns. Frequently crossover with Ganking heroes, and often intelligence based due to high mana requirements.

Initiator
    Heroes that start team fights well. These will often have a long range stun, or ability that locks enemy units in place allowing the rest of their allies to get in place and deal damage.

Jungler
    A hero that spends most of their time offlane killing neutral creeps. The usually have the ability to summon or take over non-allied creeps so that they may gather gold and experience with impunity. Often level into dependable gangers or sem-carries.

Pusher
    Heroes adept in pushing lanes to take down towers and barracks. They tend to have abilities that buff allies and debuff opponents and may also have the ability to deal large damage to towers.

Durable
    Tough heroes with large regen, armour or HP pools. Often able to avoid attacks or shrug off certain types of damage via their abilities.

Escape
    Heroes that can escape fights easily, allowing them to harass and gank without consequence. Their abilities usually involve turning invisible, or short range teleport spells. Crossover with semi-carry is typical.

Support
    Heroes that work like lane support, but more focused on helping the global outcome and as such tend to purchase items that boost HP and MP regen rates for the team, as well as having abilities that slow or stun opponents.

WORK IN PROGRESS
  • So it's like an RTS x RPG?
  • At it's most basic level, that's a way to describe it. The proper OP will be all shiny and full of guides, videos, and my own personal take on it all.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    Is it quite keyboard intensive? By that I mean can I do a lot by using just a mouse?
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • You can play it all using your mouse, but hotkeys really do help a lot as you shave seconds off actions that can mean the difference between life and death at high level play. The level i'm at though, you can do it all with the mouse.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    So a bit better than Diablo 3 then. That just turned into button mashing by the end. I may re download this AGAIN. I did the tutorial I think but it does heat my little laptop up.
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • There are easy parallels to draw with Diablo3 in that you control an avatar in third person, you go around clicking to move and clicking to attack and you have 4 abilities that are passive or active or toggleable and can go on cool down etc, but as it's a 5v5 mutliplayer game with something like 110 different characters to pick with mutliple play styles per character brought out by different item builds (of which there are something like 500 individual items, many with active abilities) and a heavy emphasis on team work and co-operation to win, it becomes an entirely different beast.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I'll put some time into this next week. Just not now cause the weekend is here and that's when i drink more alcohol than usual.
  • Can you practice this on your own, or does it have to be played with angry Russians?
  • You can play on your own or even co-op with friends and randoms against AI.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Good one Temps. Should probably add in the You Suck guide.

Easiest way to think about it is to compare it to controlling your heroes in Warcraft 3 if anyone ever played it. As that's where the whole DOTA experience sprung from.
  • This is a game the time-poor should stay away from yes?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Average length of a match is half an hour to 45 minutes.
  • How long does it take to get up to speed? The only thing I've heard about it is from the Giant Bomb podcast. One of those guys had to put a scary amount of time in to know what he was doing.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Give it about half a dozen games i'd say and you'l have an idea of the fundamentals. 90% of winning is being at the right place at the right time, 100% of the time. All the time. Without fail. Just success.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Only a few more days until I order the new pc and then a week until I probably get it all.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • I just got a new PC and a pal gave me this, still haven't turned it on. Sure I'm missing some laughs.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Thumbs up on that OP Tempy.
  • Ta, it's still a work in progress.
  • Yeah Temp, that's a really good intro into what looks like the most complex game ever!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    So here's the best part of that play video I posted above.

I've since had a good read/look at what actually occured and the split second reactions from the opposing team to counter what should have been a clear team wipe is insane. The split second that Naga's stun wears off, Rubick propels himself away using Force Staff to narrowly dodge Tide Hunter's Ravage. Then Enigma uses Black King Bar to make himself immune to the folllow up Ravage and he can begin casting his ultimate, Black Hole which sucks people in. Juggernaut uses Blade Storm (his spinning attack) that makes him immune to stuns and magic.

Then the masterstroke is Rubick stealing Ravage from Tide Hunter and using it back on them.
  • Q: why did the team not act quicker off the bat with Naga's stun?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Naga's team? Not sure. Maybe they were surprised the stun was so effective. Perhaps a bit premature from Naga in hindsight seeing how far they had to travel.

On another note, having a BKB at level 10. Oh mah lawd I feel so noob.
  • Am I right in reading 17 minutes too? How do you farm a BKB in 17 mins? I mean, Enigma is a Jungler so I guess he's farming the jungle with Hand of Midas which he'll have got between 5/8 mins? I need to watch the whole game methinks.

Which I can't find, wtf.
  • Body Block First kill at 2 Minutes, fucking insane.
  • Ah, they're pulling stacks. Wish I understood that properly, but it's letting non Jungling heroes farm jungle a lot easier.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    The final between them was very good. IG wipe Na'vi in 16 minutes and then Na'vi do the same next round!
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
‹ Previous123456728

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!