Deus Ex Machina 2 (It's likely that only I care.)
  • There's a Kickstarter up to try and make Deus Ex Machina 2, fronted by the game's original creator and genuine gaming pioneer, Mel Croucher.  I suspect it will be terrible, and I doubt it will raise the money required.  I am, none the less, sufficiently excited about the possibility to make a thread that will doubtless drop like a stone, to celebrate its mere possibility.

Why?

Because I loved the original.  For the uninitiated Deus Ex Machina was released in 1984, and was a critical darling and commercial disaster.  In the game you shaped the development of the lead character, from conception to death.  Except he's conceived in the bowels of a machine, and grown from the faeces of the last mouse on Earth.  The various levels included steering a sperm to its egg, whilst it sang a cheery ditty voiced by Ian Dury; avoiding the attentions of a camp yet terrifying secret policeman voiced by Frankie Howard; and erm, being a big fat giant thing that stamps on words or something.  Then you die of old age.

You had to synchronise the game along with a soundtrack tape, littered with songs of varying quality and narrated wonderfully by John Pertwee.  (Christopher Lee in the new version.)  I played it endlessly as a kid, and to this day still don't know whether my final score of 0% was a point about the inevitability of death, or just a sign that I was really, really bad at it.  (I was..)

So my inner 12 year old is very excited.  My outer 30 something year old is looking at the screenshots and rolling his eyes, but hey.  It's Deus Ex Machina.

Anyone else care, or even know what the Hell I'm talking about?
  • When in doubt, embed a 'Tube:

I'll keep an eye out. I love that the original happened at all.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Except he's conceived in the bowels of a machine, and grown from the faeces of the last mouse on Earth.
    In.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    One of the great unplayable games.
  • That was a delightfully batshit 40 odd minutes or so. Sadly I think it kinda peaked with the DNA/Cell stuff at a sufficient level of scifi disconcerting, but the Ian Dury Sperm bit and a few other parts raised an eyebrow or two.
  • Brooks wrote:
    When in doubt, embed a 'Tube: I'll keep an eye out. I love that the original happened at all.

Yes!  Excellent, thank you.
  • I remember this game, the devs symbol was piman right? Weirded me out when younger, for whatever reason reminds me of plastikman logo too
  • LazyGunn wrote:
    I remember this game, the devs symbol was piman right? Weirded me out when younger, for whatever reason reminds me of plastikman logo too

Yeah, Pi-Man was the Automata logo - he got his own game, comic strip and apparently a greatest hits collection.  He had a phallus for a nose.

melcroucher-pimania.jpg

He scared me too, and reminded me of the equally terrifying Mr Nosey Bonk.
    20110807162003!Noseybonk.jpg

(Apologies for any nightmares I may have caused.)
  • It's like the multimedia crossover all the prog-rock bands never did.
  • Could listen to Pertwee narrating shit forever.
  • There's a demo.  They've messed with the Fertiliser song (though they're having a vote on whether to use it or the original, so hopefully they'll go back to the 84 version).  The Machine's song is better.  The game is...  Erm.  Well I have a slightly better idea of what's going on I suppose.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Could listen to Pertwee narrating shit forever.

Best Doctor. Sorry, Tin.

• So he goes by "Spotty" and he's from the planet Spot.

Does anyone here call themselves "Earthy".
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I do.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Earthly Charms. Does a fair trade at the 'post.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    To general acclaim, yes.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Could listen to Pertwee narrating shit forever.
    Best Doctor. Sorry, Tin.

Pertwee will forever be Worzel Gummidge in my eyes.  (Tom Baker's best doctor, obviously.)

That said, Brooks is absolutely right - for a variety of long winded reasons I found myself reading the 7 Ages of Man speech to one of my kids the other day, and realised about half way through that I was sub-consciously doing a Deus Ex inspired Pertwee impression.
  • You are not alone tin. I backed the kickstarter project a couple of days ago and I still have a copy of the original game, complete with large box and poster.

I think I might have a couple of other Automata cassettes hidden away  somewhere, Morris meet the bikers and Pi-Eyed. They both have shockingly bad music tracks on their b-sides. Mel Croucher certainly had some strange ideas.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Mal0wner wrote:
    You are not alone tin. I backed the kickstarter project a couple of days ago and I still have a copy of the original game, complete with large box and poster. I think I might have a couple of other Automata cassettes hidden away  somewhere, Morris meet the bikers and Pi-Eyed. They both have shockingly bad music tracks on their b-sides. Mel Croucher certainly had some strange ideas.

Glad it's not just me.  I too have the original tucked away somewhere.  As a kid I remember doing one of the songs from Deus Ex Machina for a music lesson, to the collective bemusement of everyone else.

Just had an email from the Kickstarter team/ Mel Croucher outlining various rewards we'll be given for backing even though the Kickstarter looks unlikely to make it.  Which is nice for me, if somewhat disappointing for them...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!