Brand Loyalty
‹ Previous1234
  • On the back of the PS4 and Xbox One thread. Include Nintendo

How loyal are you to the brands? If you will only buy one machine how much of a foregone conclusion is it that it will be the successor to your current machine?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I've been tempted by Xbox in the past, but the exclusive games I've played just haven't resonated well with me, and despite the insistence of everyone that the controller is the best there is, I just find it too large and bulky.
    Sony tend to have better first party games that I can actually play and enjoy, so, unless they fuck something up catastrophically I will be going with them.
    I have my PS4 pre-order down, but there's no reason why I can't cancel it if it's looking like there'll be no decent games for launch day.
    I also have a soft spot for Nintendo. You just cannot beat a good Mario or Zelda game, and considering they made my favourite game of all time I'll always have a place for them in my heart.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My gaming machine history goes like this. 

Sinclair ZX 128k
    SNES
    N64
    PS1
    Dreamcast
    PS2
    Xbox 360

So I have no brand loyalty. I will buy whichever appeals most at the time of launch.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Ditto. (Not the history.)
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Same here, no loyalty. This is why E3 is going to be such a big thing for me this year, it will pretty much determine which console gets bought at launch and which one waits for a price drop...
  • I haven't been fussed which machine I play on since my allegiance died with the Dreamcast.  It's been quite liberating.  I buy football games on the PS3, first person shooters on the 360 (because of the pads in both cases), and look to comparisons on the net to buy the best version of everything else.  In rare cases I consider online gaming - Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed, for example, which I bought on 360 because we had a thread going on here.  I've never looked at achievements or trophies (actually, tell a lie - I did try to get 200 in Monkey Island/would love to get 200 on Super Meat Boy), so they mean nothing to me when selecting a game. 

I think the very best Nintendo games are (more often than not) better than the best games their competitors have to offer, but I'm happy to pick and choose games without bias, although this is likely to be the last generation where I own three consoles.  Whoever offers the best downloadable games (PSN or XBLA style) out of Sony and MS will probably get my money at some point in the next three years, if I decide to take the plunge at all.  Or maybe I'll buy whichever machine retrokings doesn't so we can swap for the big titles.  If Trials is now owned by Ubisoft rather than MS I don't have the faintest idea which console I'd choose.  

I did heartily enjoy being a Sega fanboy though.
  • Last gen I bought all of them except for the WiiU :P 

I don't have any blind brand loyalty left (used to be a Nintentarded kid), it'll come down to games, hardware and price in that order to determine which one I pick up...... If I don't decide to make a gaming PC instead.
  • No loyalty whatsoever.
  • indigo wrote:
    Last gen I bought all of them except for the WiiU :P 

miaow. :)

I have owned all of the Nintendo consoles since the snes (except the vb) so I guess you could say im a Nintendo brand loyalist. In the current gen i also bought both the hd consoles and while i liked a lot of the Xbox stuff when it came to keeping one of the two the ps3 won out because it has a blu ray.
  • Would hope all patrons were well shot of this fanboy nonsense, preferably decades well shot.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Would hope all patrons were well shot of this fanboy nonsense, preferably decades well shot.

Considering the last few days do you think it's the case?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Dunno, I've still seen a lot of critical thought. However positive or negative.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I've also seen a lot of denial and bargaining.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Would hope all patrons were well shot of this fanboy nonsense, preferably decades well shot.
    Considering the last few days do you think it's the case?
    It's certainly made me think...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think one can be loyal to a brand and not be a fanboy - as long as your loyalty isn't tainted by exclusivity.

I have a pretty high regard for Nintendo - and not really because of the touted innovation - which they are good at from time to time. The basic quality of most of their stuff means that I tend to trust them.

Arcade experience-wise, whatever that means in this day and age, I feel the same way about Sega and Capcom.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Is trust important though?

Not a mention from a single person so far saying I'm going to get a ps4 because I'm not going through red ring of death again.

Also haven't seen much printed by journos asking MS what they have put in place to stop that happening this time around.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    Not a mention from a single person so far saying I'm going to get a ps4 because I'm not going through red ring of death again. Also haven't seen much printed by journos asking MS what they have put in place to stop that happening this time around.

I'd stick my neck out and wager that won't happen again.
  • Maybe in the past Nintendo was a foregone conclusion, but mainly because their games were of a guaranteed quality pretty much all on their own. I think that's been slowly burned away since the GameCube was a bit of a let down, and I can't see me buying a WiiU now under any circumstances - I just don't believe they have it in them anymore.

Not sure about the others, really. I've gone Nintendo + MS for 2 gens now, and it was Nintendo + Sony before that. There's certainly nothing keeping me with either one, and maybe even I feel like a change just for the sake of it this time round. But in the end, whichever entices me most when it comes down to actually getting one, assuming I do at all (I'd be quite happy to try something altogether new if it seemed a good prospect).
  • The 3ds line up for me is hope that Nintendo can still make amazing games for their platform.

I will get a wiiu when the main franchises kick in. I'm wondering if advance wars has gone quiet 3ds side because ninty have asked them to make a wiiu game instead.
  • Yeah, should have said it's different for handhelds. A 3DS is starting to become interesting enough to consider, especially since Fire Emblem.

It doesn't translate to proper consoles though. I'm not convinced they can make games of sufficient sophistication to compete with other top devs in that area anymore. Their major franchises were the pinnacle of design and technology in the SNES/N64 era, but they've stood still while others have caught up and surpassed them. Standout games like Mario Galaxy are great old-fashioned games, but again that's just a reminder of their past, and it's not really enough for me.
  • After a couple of disheartening minutes with a freshly minted N64 in a Finnish department store in 1997 (how am I supposed to hold this fucking thing? was muttered through gritted teeth), I've been well rid of any console partisanship. The hardware decisions since then has been made purely on a basis of what games I wanted to play the most in the moment when I happened to have that mythical big chunk of cash to hand. 

Since it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford buying a TV any time soon, my next big box purchase will probably happen when the upcoming console wars are over and done.
  • mk64 wrote:
    I'm not going through red ring of death again. Also haven't seen much printed by journos asking MS what they have put in place to stop that happening this time around.

Have you not seen the Bone? It's basically a giant fucking fan with a console built around it.

The only gaming brand I've ever felt anything resembling loyalty to would be Nintendo, but they went in a direction (wavy-wavy) that didn't appeal, so i haven't played a Nintendo game since the Gamecube.

It would seem MS are making a similar effort to focus on shite I couldn't care less about, which at present is leaving the quattro as my most likely destination (subject to E3, confirmation of pricing etc).
  • My brand loyalty tends to be with developers/franchises, rather than console brands. I suppose this means that a certain developer/franchise is exclusive to console X, I'll be more inclined to go with that console.
  • Nintendo still know how to make a cracking game, unfortunately they don't know how to create a console experience. The fact you can buy stuff on your Wii, WiiU or 3DS and all of them be linked to separate Miis/Friend codes is archaic in this day and age.
    It's a shame really, as I don't really want Nintendo to go the way of Sega.....or would I?
  • I have bought every Nintendo console released in the UK to date.

I have owned all Xbox consoles from fatone, 360 fat and now 360 slim.

My Sony ownership has been limited to a psp, briefly a Vita and a PS3 till it broke.

I am gutted at MS for the average Xbox One info so far as i was defo getting one. Not so sure atm.
    PSN - minkymu
  • In all things in life I'm not exclusively brand loyal.  I have a range of brands I trust for any given item, and I pick whatever is best value at the time.  So, I like Heinz and Branston's ketchup, and I'll pick up whichever one is on offer when I'm running low.

Both Microsoft and Sony have made great quality consoles that I have owned and, while PSN+ was making me lean towards Sony, prior to the reveals my choice was still going to be dictated by the best prospect, not the name on the box.

Just as I have brands I trust for certain items, I have brands I won't go with.  Nintendo have made some cracking handhelds, some of which I've owned, but I've not seen them make a home console worth me owning.  I have been swept up in (mostly forum generated) hype in the past, but that has only served to cement the idea that Nintendo are highly unlikely to make anything for under my telly of interest to me.
  • Having both a PS2 and an Xbox previous gen, my decision to buy a 360 was purely based on price at the time. A 360 Elite was sub £300 whereas the PS3 was still topping £400 iirc. I had no previous experience of online with either apart from the odd LAN Halo session with the lads. After 6+ years with MS' offering of which has seen some golden times, there is an attachment my end to further this experience with the One. I am genuinely interested in what both have to offer though, PS4's perceived power advantage and Xbone's cloud potential offset the negatives of both platforms. Ideally both would sit under the telly, price again may be the kicker. Blow me if they both release at the same RRP but I've a nagging feeling the 'Bone may be cheaper come day one. But, like this gen, I may not be an early adopter, as a crushing backlog haunts me and will do into the next gen.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • To be honest, while the PS4 hardware may be a little more expensive, the sheer cost of creating a UI overlay for all potential TV systems, not to mention the ridiculous amount of servers MS are promising has to be offset somewhere.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    MS said for every xbox there'll be 3 servers to do the cloud stuff.

Do they only anticipate 100,000 sales ever?

Wut? Hahah.
  • Nah, they've predicted potential sales of 1 billion consoles. lolololol

seriously

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    beano wrote:
    MS said for every xbox there'll be 3 servers to do the cloud stuff. Do they only anticipate 100,000 sales ever? Wut? Hahah.

They didn't say that.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!