Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Its tempting to trade in - especially when GC games seem to hold their value. Not sure that's been the case more recently but the better games are still pricey to pick up now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Latest issue of Retro Gamer magazine has such a picture! I get that mag sometimes, they often show collections. Crazy people that collect the full PAL release of a console etc. Crazy.
    Yeah, that picture made me wonder how he managed to retrieve a game from the back wall - he'd just filled the room up from back to front.  It made a great photo, but sometimes you'd just fancy playing Psycho Fox, surely?

Psycho Fox is a cracking game. Would love another game with those characters and level style, rather than another Decap Attack style sequel.
  • Davy, I saw your comment that these were all photos taken for insurance.  How did that work?  Are they just bundled in under your contents insurance, or are they specifically listed?  Did you have to value them?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    Davy, I saw your comment that these were all photos taken for insurance.  How did that work?  Are they just bundled in under your contents insurance, or are they specifically listed?  Did you have to value them?

I have the games collection as an item on the contents policy (have a couple of hundred DVDs as well - spot a pattern forming?) - can't remember how much I have them insured for (£2.5-3K if I average it out at £4 a game + all the consoles and a SHITLOAD of peripherals) - but looking at how much more I now have (not to mention a couple of hundred PS2 and Wii games) I probably need to revisit that.

Wii - 90
    PS2 - 85
    SNES - 80
    Gamecube - 80
    Saturn - 73
    Dreamcast - 68
    PS1 - 54
    N64 - 52
    Megadrive - 33
    Atari 2600 - 17
    Atari 7800 - 11
    2 dedicated pong consoles, 2 chess computers, a backgammon computer , a star chess console and partridge in a pear tree.

I have a second GC and DC and I've even got a Nuon DVD player I got to try Tempest 3000 but the fecking thing has no controller ports!!! The connections are on the mother board so it can be modified (articles are on the web showing this)

• No Xbox, eh? I only ever had 6 or 7 games on that. 

I had a few hundred DVDs too. I'm now down to maybe a hundred, if that. Most are Criterion Collection R1 DVDs. I have all the Kurosawa films and lots of Ozu too. Love those Jap films. 

I have fewer games than you, but some of them are worth a fair few bucks. I should insure them!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nothing this gen - though I have got Play TV and remote for the PS3!!!

I'd like to get an oldBox with some of the better games (Outrun Coast to Coast is supposedly better than the PS2 version for example but wasn't Halo on PAL a 50Hz hack job? Not that I'd be interested mind you)

The 360 is where it's at for shmups at present but there's not much else it has to offer I'm into. Not really into FPS or sports franchises - I look at the shelves in shops and there is little those platforms have to offer me. Like the look of the Ico/Shadow remake and the XBL arcade looks nice too (Pac Champ Edition etc.) A PS3 will probably replace my V+ box soon and a 360 will no doubt be bought for the shmups CAVE are pushing out.

Like the sound of those Criterion releases,,,you insure those too as some are probably out of print - and Battle Garegga is a £90+ game so you should at least tot up the value of the premium items.
  • Davy, did you have the first Goemon game for the N64 or just the sequel? I liked the sequel, multi-player was bonkers, but the original is just great. I know some don't rate it but I adored it. So weird. The bad guys master plan was to put on a musical. Amazing collection btw.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Never played the first one on the N64 - it just looked like a Mario 64 wannabe - but it seems I was mistaken as I've heard good stuff about it. The only other Goemon game I've played was the one that got a PAL release on SNES which totally blew me away at the time.
  • Mechanically it is just a Mario 64 wannabe with some Zelda-ish elements thrown in, not that that's a bad thing. I would still rate it as a game if it were just that, but it's so much more simply because it's bonkers. None of it really makes any sense - some people hated it because of that but I found it wonderful. Depends how much you take to Japanese weirdness.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    POWER TO THE HIGHEST LIMIT, SUPER PUNCH!

Get schwifty.
  • "I am machinery, I am a metal being!"

This just made my day!
  • I have the SFC Goemon games. Numbers 3 and 4 are unplayable in Jap. 2 was fine. 

Have the first one on N64, haven't played it much after the battery pack died. Need to get the second one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • has anyone played or even got any of the old old advance wars games? there was at least one before the gba version. I'm a AW whore so would be interested to know more if anyone else knows.

also davy, i've got C2C on my 360, its fucking immense. Anyone who doesn't like outrun 2 can just die.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I think they were only released in Japan, MK.

They weren't called 'Advance' wars though, it was Famicon Wars etc though.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • My games shelves....

ipone030612069.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • I'm loving the fishing controller
  • Quackshot and Toejam & Earl 2 FTW.
  • ipone030612062.jpg

ipone030612063.jpg

iphone050512015.jpg

iphone050512023.jpg

ipone030612059.jpg

• Awesome pics folks :)
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Sadly not mine any longer, but my pride and joy was an old JAMMA cabinet -

n755262736_1393295_5157.jpg

Ignore the weird 6 button layout, I changed that to a more sensible one.

I had 2 Jamma boards - Super Streetfighter 2 X (CPS2), Final Crash (Final Fight bootleg).

Then a Neo Geo 4 slot with Waku Waku 7, Puzzle Bobble, Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown and a few others.

And a little known Sony/Capcom motherboard that ran boards like Tech Romancer, Strider Hiryu and Streetfighter EX2.

Wish I still had it, beat the shit out of any console for having mates over a few beers.
  • I need one of those in my life
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Splendid all round - my highlights - fishing controller (boxed!), boxed Samba (is that TWO of em?) and that cabinet....one day.

There's something about seeing a rack of Dreamcast games that says indulgence - more so than any other platform.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    forgot about these for gamecube...

gcDancemats.JPG
  • whats that taito perpheral?

Also first thing i thought when i saw that sf2 cab was BUTTON LAYOUT!! lol, glad you changed it.

also nice pics guys
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Looks like a train controller.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • I think the cab originally had an old SNK layout but someone botched some more buttons in there, I just ripped it out and put a SF2 layout in.
  • Looks like a train controller.

@mk64 too,

Yes, it's Densha de Go 2, a Japanese train driving simulator.
  • davyK wrote:
    Splendid all round - my highlights - fishing controller (boxed!), boxed Samba (is that TWO of em?) and that cabinet....one day.

There's something about seeing a rack of Dreamcast games that says indulgence - more so than any other platform.

Yep, I've got Samba de Amigo, and Samba de Amigo 2000 (Japanese).

• RaginScotsman
    Show networks
    PSN
    Psychoboy1
    Steam
    RaginScotsman

Send message
    I've got PDF's of 2 Retro Gamer eMags. Sort of "best of" books. Worth downloading if you've got a tablet to read them on.

http://www.filedropper.com/retrobookemag
    http://www.filedropper.com/retrobookvol2emag

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!