Ugly Yet Beautiful
‹ Previous1234
  • What game/games have you played/owned and thought "Good Lord, this is horrible on the eyes & ears but plays like a dream!"

And don't list the entire ZX Spectrum catalogue, that's just cheating ;)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I played Zelda: OoT many years after it was released. The graphics had not aged well. Still a decent game though.

Mario 64, on the other hand, looked rubbish and failed to live up to the hype. As for Goldeneye *shudders*.
  • I thought Goldeneye looked great at the time!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Polarium on the GBA looks, at first glance, like a boring piece of shit, but it's actually one of the few games that I've never gotten bored of.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Deadly Rooms of Death
  • I'm gonna go with PES.  It's never had the glitz and glamour of the FIFA games but I can't put it down, especially the latest installment with all the patches etc.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    I thought Goldeneye looked great at the time!

It looked rubbish and played rubbish too. Sorry to everyone who somehow put in the, presumed, many, many hours required to learn how to control an FPS using a single analogue stick, but it was a terrible idea which should probably never have been released into the world.
  • It didn't need many hours at all. I managed to play it straight away really and it played great. Looked fine at the time too. 

Hard to pin down or remember an UYB game. They don't stick in the mind quite like games with great visuals.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Plan M wrote:
    It looked rubbish and played rubbish too. Sorry to everyone who somehow put in the, presumed, many, many hours required to learn how to control an FPS using a single analogue stick, but it was a terrible idea which should probably never have been released into the world.

You didn't like Goldeneye then?
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I played Zelda: OoT many years after it was released. The graphics had not aged well. Still a decent game though. Mario 64, on the other hand, looked rubbish and failed to live up to the hype. As for Goldeneye *shudders*.

Wow.
  • How about Gears of War and its 'destroyed beauty' or whatever the marketing spiel was. Ugly UE3 graphics full of browns and beiges, a hulking space marines spouting bullshit from their mouths.... But decent, if not great, gameplay. Enjoyed co-op campaign and what little of the MP I played. Horde mode FTW.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    How about Gears of War and its 'destroyed beauty' or whatever the marketing spiel was. Ugly UE3 graphics full of browns and beiges, a hulking space marines spouting bullshit from their mouths.... But decent, if not great, gameplay. Enjoyed co-op campaign and what little of the MP I played. Horde mode FTW.

Yeah I'd agree with all of that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Plan M wrote:
    You didn't like Goldeneye then?

Nope. But, as I say, I did come to it late and so couldn't be arsed to learn what was clearly a daft control scheme just for that one game after I'd experienced Halo.

Although, I couldn't be arsed to learn the rubbish pad controls for Quake III on the Dreamcast at the time it was released either. I just have no patience with terrible control schemes any more.
  • That's fair enough.  I played Goldeneye when it was first released and I had many, many hours of fun on it.  But if I went back to it now, I don't think I'd enjoy it at all.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The original Deus Ex looks like dog shit (and IW isn't that much better in the looks) but I still can't get enough of the true tin foil hat mans game.
  • I thought this thread was going to be about Drew Barrymore.
  • marvel v capcom 2, the most terrible of music and graphics, but i played it so much when it came to ps2. can probably say the same of a lot of fighters.

also my binatone mark 6, although 'full colour' it doesn't really look that good. binatone football is immense though, double speed, extra angles and tiny paddles for tournament mode.
  • Seconded on Star Control - first thing that came to mind for me too.

Also Fire Emblem, discounting the little battle animations.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Nope. But, as I say, I did come to it late and so couldn't be arsed to learn what was clearly a daft control scheme just for that one game after I'd experienced Halo.

Yeah, that say's it all really. If you've played Goldeneye after playing a twin analogue shooter of course it's going to seem daft. But when you didn't have twin analog shooters to compare it to then it worked fine.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happen to consider many old 2600 games quite beautiful in their simplicity - especially those that didn't push the hardware to breaking point by muxing sprites etc.

Early 3D - especially on the PS1 and Saturn - was the Ugly Bug Ball - but there's stuff to enjoy there still.

Fighters Megamix while being a later release on Saturn runs at a lower res than something like VF2 which is still a half-decent looking effort (to me at any rate) to facilitate certain shading and lighting effects - so it has been tickled a little bit with the ugly stick - but it plays very nicely.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I think some of the PS1's rpgs look pretty bad. I mean FFVII's characters look shocking.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bishi Bashi Special on PS1 contains 2 seperate games. Graphically speaking, the earlier Bishi Bashi game on the disc is as rough as the proverbial badger's arse, but plays beautifully.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Turok had a far better control scheme. C buttons acted like wasd on a keyboard and analog for aiming.
  • Bishi Bashi Special is the culmination of human achievement.
  • davyK wrote:
    Bishi Bashi Special on PS1 contains 2 seperate games. Graphically speaking, the earlier Bishi Bashi game on the disc is as rough as the proverbial badger's arse, but plays beautifully.
    Bishi Bashi Special is the culmination of human achievement.

YES

this game is used to decide many things in my house. after years i swear games come up i've never seen before.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Plan M wrote:

There was an option to play it with 2 control pads at once, giving you 2 analogue sticks.

Think it was the forst FPS i played so the one stick never seemed unnatural. I doubt I could go back to it now though.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!