FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    FAC2A8B5-33BA-4465-9AF1-3F94263FD717-5521-000004A4F7E4AEEF.jpg
    52E4E30C-3283-402B-BAAC-E125D594F6D9-5521-000004A4FB9EE0DB.jpg

I've barely scratched the surface yet, but this is brilliant. Brilliantly bonkers.

I think 2D minecraft is quite a misleading description, it plays very differently and requires alot more patience. But once you start progressing its so rewarding.

Sparkly knows more about what you can do so ill wait for him to add his two pence.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Been on pc for yonks, loser.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I have noticed that the way they do 2/3 player to horizontally split the screen sends off my tellies' 3D signal detector. Will have to turn off the announcement pop up.

Played it to first conclusion way back when on PC so know it pretty well. Like Minecraft though it is a bit of a different beast when lounging on the sofa on the big screen. The controls aren't quite as good and accurate as a mouse but as decent a stab at controller access as you could hope for really. Perfectly playable still.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Been on pc for yonks, loser.

Wots pc?
  • How's this handle on a gamepad then?

Love the game but hate  WASD.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tell me about it, my left hand and wrist are fucking killing me. I can't stop playing though so I might have to nab the Xbox version.

The combat is a massive part of the game, with enemies constantly spawning at night or under ground. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but playing in softcore mode means you only lose half of your coins on death but keep your gear so you can still make some progress.

I love the way the different weapons handle, making them more suited to certain situations. The overhead arc of a broad sword comes in handy on the surface to deal with those flying eyeballs. The spears are great in horizontal tunnels as the huge knock back bonus and reach they have mean that nothing gets close to you. I'm currently rocking the grapple hook and boomerang combo, zip lining to the roof of a cave and taking put everything below me like fucking Batman.

Tried a two block wide vertical shaft yesterday with the aim of hitting bedrock. Hasn't happened yet even though when I die I can free fall down the shaft for a minute or so before I get to where I was. Mental.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    By giving you both an auto and a fine control option on the pad with a press of the left stick they have tried to make it as usable as possible really. It seems fine in the early stages but it will get a lot more frantic when the bosses come into play. It should hold up. Probably.. 
    Having played it to death on a mouse it still feels like a bit of a bodge and about half the game is inventory management too… I've yet to find a way of making that feel too comparable but it is functional enough; just a bit slow. There may be some tricks that crop up that I've yet to find?

I've yet to get to  get me grapple on or go particularly deep and went straight in with a 'large' world so it'll be deep and long to find the various areas. Need to get me some grapples and then head off to a jungle to make the mega grapple… ah the old memory comes seeping back. Can feel the hooks sinking in again… nnnnnnggg
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The inventory stuff is shite on the PC too, you should be able to craft with the shit that's in your chests instead of having to grab the stuff you need first. The chests are in the same room as the crafting table for fuck's sake.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Agreed. It was rough on the pc and being forced to push stuff about with a 360 stick certainly does nothing to help…it's not gamebreaking yet mind.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Got a spare PC code if anyone is interested? It was promised to either Dan or Revel but Revel bought his own and Dan is being a huge fanny about it so he might lose out.
  • Someone else gave me one squire. I'm dat popular.

(I bought It myself. Everyone hates me)
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    adored wrote:
    How's this handle on a gamepad then? Love the game but hate  WASD.

You can get gamepad to WASD programs. I use Xpadder as it's 360 controller specific (although does support others like the Logitech), but there's other programs like JoytoKey. To get the 360 controller running on PC you need either a wired pad or the wireless dongle. For PS3 I believe it's just a case of your lappy having a bluetooth card or buying a cheap dongle.

Hurrrr, dongle.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Got a wired pad coming on Tuesday hopefully, £20 from Game. I still might get the Xbox version though because Frantic.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Damn straight you handsome beast.
  • Is this anything like Knytt Stories?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Controls are fine on a pad once you get used to it. Not had any issues.
  • I've barely got anywhere. Played for hours but haven't really moved far beyond the starting area and didn't even know the game had bosses or anything like that!

I went in blind, only picking it up because it was £1.49 in the recent indie sale on Steam, so I'm literally learning it as I go. Everything is new to me at this point.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bosses? 

What's the purple stuff all about? I cant mine the blocks and the enemies in there are utterly disgusting and relentless so I can't do much exploration down there.
  • Isanbard mentioned bosses earlier. I've not even seen this purple stuff you're talking about, I'm really a ways off getting anywhere, it seems.
  • I wanted this on PC, but don't really do PC gaming. Is it worth getting the console version?

Will likely wait for Vita mind.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Spent a lovely afternoon with Sparkles adventuring. Game is mental, and mind boggling. Awesome stuff.

• Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Having loved my, albeit, brief foray into Minecraft would I like this?

Also if I am going to spend some time playing this why should it win over Minecraft? I loved my mining, build a glass hut over my shaft and mine away day or night!!!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's very different to Minecraft, it's less about building stuff and more about spelunking. There are way more nasties about, so you're always on edge. I suppose there's nowt stoping you from building mega structures, but I'm far too busy discovering new things to worry about that just yet.

How the fuck do you brew ale?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    It's a far more goal orientated game than Minecraft ultimately. There should always be a thing/resource/beastie you're trying to farm/hunt and very soon these require fairly specific items/tools/weapons to acquire. 

Quite simple item tree stuff really but drip fed in a particularly appealing way. Easy worth a 1200 punt if you're xbox thinking. It's worth knowing that it is a bastard hard and long game though. You can easily drop in and out admittedly but it's a long haul to get much anywhere..

As an aside we managed to takedown the Eye of Cthulu after it popped up as a surprise. Taking down the first boss with a pair of useless (6 & 4yr old..) punters was a fun ol' challenge.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's sucked me right in today, if it wasn't for my girlfriend reminding me that it's about time I got some food I'd have went without. Great stuff.
  • I had no idea just how much there is to this game. Bosses, different music at certain depths, traps, it just keeps going!

What happens if your character dies (on softcore) & you have no money?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    If set to normal the cash is all you ever get punished.  To help out though you'll be wanting to save up for a piggy bank to save all your precious things in. Been very handy for me as the piggy bank is player specific too so you can control access to stuff before kids spunk through everything. 
    They also have universal access so when you setup a base nearer a threat you can plonk down a piggy bank and get hold of all your bits an bobs. 

So many things to know in this little devil... Off to go farm some Jungle essentials. Death by Bees an absolute certainty.. Better put my cash in the bank before then.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What's all this gibberish? I've played for hours and only ever dug holes and made torches.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I summoned the Eye of Chtulu when Sparkly wasn't ready. Much hilarity ensued, all that was missing was the benny hill music. Luckily he fucked off when morning came.

We managed to survive the blood moon. Spears are well handy. I forgot to see what my new pet slime is like, must remember later.

Game is fucking awesome. I've got Bioshock Infinite sat there barely touched because of it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't think I'll ever be ready for that thing.

I made it back with all my shit and a good few gold coins last night. It took me ages, next time I'm taking that mirror thing. Fought a fucking Vampire Miner, wearing a miners hat with a torch on, which unfortunately he didn't drop for me. Guess I'll have to buy one from the merchant, it's the only other thing he sells that looks useful. The piggy bank will come in handy as I suspect Frantic of having sticky fingers.

Loving this.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!