Society's Ills - A study in the perceived inequalities between the "haves" and the "have nots"
  • So expensive that you can't afford to live there. So live close by, or with your parents. 
    Beyond marginal instances, this stands for generations of effort and crisis for most people. Most people are huddlers, most people need a lot of other people simply to not keel over. Most people are not go-getters of any description, they couldn't possibly be, knowing as we do of the myriad factors that create those individuals. Disrupting the lives of the already frail is really just very poor organisational practice and should be discouraged.
  • @mosthighpoohbahgriff A weird British thing. Europeans love renting right? I don't know what their rent prics are like, but they fucking suck in most places here and your rights are usually naff, unless you can get into a decent private contract with a private landlord AFAIK.

I certainly have nothing against renting though, I don't get the fuss over owning a house... i'd just like to live somewhere with a degree of permanence, where I had agency and opportunity to operate the house. I had that in my last place, but the rent was high because of that.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Why is home ownership important?

Because of the way landlords operate in this country. For the most part, you can't do anything to rented properties. My sister isn't even allowed to change utility company.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    ...unless you can get into a decent private contract with a private landlord AFAIK.
    That's the complete opposite here, private landlords fuck you over is pretty much what I have experienced from friends. I know more people that rent than actually own there own homes within my circle of friends. We were lucky in that we got in with an association so when things go wrong they get fixed (in fact we are having a new door and all new windows throughout in a month or so) and we have our own parking (which is a godsend here), we have a park on our doorstep and we're paying about 60% what privately owned places are going for...
  • I mean does it not trouble people that Britain didn't used to have postgrad 30 year olds having to live with Ma and Pa and now we do? Does that smack of progress?
  • They should work harder Brooks.
  • Counter being that perhaps the period when they didn't was aberrational, which is maybe some comfort to those going through it but.
  • I did stipulate decent contract @moto, I know they are frequently cunts. I got a place owned by a lovely young couple. As clarified above though, pricey.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Dante. 2000-2003 I worked behind a bar during uni.

That might well explain why you don't see the issue with relocating then.

No idea what you are on about.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • One would imagine the number of people in post grad "education" is synonymous with bacteria on a ripe dog shit left in the sun.
  • It's what they were sold, as children, same as every other climber.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    One would imagine the number of people in post grad "education" is synonymous with bacteria on a ripe dog shit left in the sun.

What do you feel about someone going on to study English/Film then? Had a discussion recently where someone believed humanities should be utterly scrapped from Higher Ed. and that he wouldn't want a teacher who had studied English to teach English.

• Tempy, I don't even...
  • Brooks wrote:
    It's what they were sold, as children, same as every other climber.

Caveat emptor.
  • Temp, when you say "film" what do you mean?
  • Film Studies, which is usually 70% theory 30% Practical. The English part would be Literature.

Tempy, I don't even...

The thing is (this is to @griff too) his arguement did make sense to me, as it was that he would want his kids to be taught by someone with life experience, or who had specifically gone on to study 'teaching' as a degree, rather than specifically Literature or Language.

I do see his point, but then again I haven't gone snot-nosed to uni, I've worked for shit, 5-6 years now, I've lived on my own and I've dealt with some stuff. I'm by no means world weary obviously but now i've decided I'm ready to go... and I probably want to teach.

I think that's a much sounder way of doing Uni than being funnelled out of College into it with little to no idea or choice, but sadly a lot of jobs that don't require post-grad knoweldge do require a degree and the wholse system is geared towards it, when I'm convinced people aren't mature enough at 17 to make a decent spin of it. So, yeah.
  • Which parent in the last 20/30 years was seriously going to doubt the utility of any certificate of higher ed. Where was that voice in the discourse.
  • To my mind, the broadening of higher ed courses was too much and decades too soon. Film Studies etc. still reads like a luxury to me. Though there will have been a short-term financial incentive to construct those. And job creation ones, awkwardly.
  • It is a luxury and I view it as such, but I've at least worked and contributed tax and all that. I'll be 8 years overdue (which means I've worked fulltime for 6, which seems nuts) so I feel that should I want to apply to study for that I've done sufficient time. Out of it may come a teacher.
  • That's a gamble I wouldn't make. Not least because nothing is functionally stopping me pursuing Film as an interest, even to an academic degree, and for no resource but my free time.
  • Difficult one, Temp. I think it is too subjective to comment on without bias.

I agree with Brooks that it is a luxury, and that society on the whole does benefit from the arts. However, your expectations of what you want to get out of it need to be as grounded as fuck.
  • @Brooks/griff A gamble on a yute like me, or a gamble on the huge ammount of debt and lost time I potentially lumping myself with?

I'd take it, because the alternative is drudge work for the rest of my life, or else get really passionate about managerial work, and I just ain't that guy.
  • The latter. It doesn't strike me as a growth field, "teaching film".

The Web has kind of put the fuck up any knowledge industry.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I'd take it, because the alternative is drudge work for the rest of my life, or else get really passionate about managerial work, and I just ain't that guy.

Little else in life interests me/I am not good enough at much else that would get me cashmoney.

• Are you good at making films?
  • Jesus that's an even terribler idea
  • Way back when in college I got 100% of available practical marks for a music video I made which under whatever law that governs use of student's work in courses got sent around the country and viewed by a bunch of different colleges as an example of how to get top marks so, yeah, once.

Was never able to afford a cam/pc/software and then slowly fell out with the idea of pursuing it.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Jesus that's an even terribler idea

He stated he is not good at much else. Which begs the question has he made films before? If so, and been good at it, why bother with a course?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Gonzo is right. Why should you be entitled to live where you were brought up? The area you grew up thirty years ago is not the area it is now. It may be more expensive. So expensive that you can't afford to live there. So live close by, or with your parents. Attempt to save some money and eventually you may be able to purchase a property in the area. It may suck that you can't, on a whim, do whatever the fuck you want, but you might achieve your goal eventually.

Put simply, the amount of money I'd need to save for a deposit, compared to my earning potential, factoring in how much house prices are rising by, makes this dream an extremely distant possibility. It's not about doing it on a whim, it's about ever being able to do it at all. And again, the reason is that house prices are being artificially inflated because of massive wealth inequality in London.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!