‹ Previous12345
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watching BBC Breakfast TV this morning - something I rarely do and apart from the charming female presenter (Susanna Reid apparantly) there was something quite interesting discussed.

It is projected that female gamers will be the majority by the end of this year. Cue an interview with a quaint old dear playing her PS3 on her 60"+ flat screen who also games on her iPad and has played since the Pong/VCS days etc. Seemed all the better for it too - quite lucid - though cause and effect can't be proved but I can't help thinking it's a factor.

Anyhow - generally I think it's great - and I also think it won't really affect the traditional gamer too much as the market is so big - at least initially - but maybe the number of mainstream boys' games will start to go down as time goes on and devs realise there is money to be made elsewhere?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Heh, I saw this. She was playing Disgaea 4, Nuff respeck and all that.
  • There was some press recently that showed that Japan's main gaming demographic had changed to young women, mainly through the 3DS and Animal Crossing. Can't find it now. @regmcfly probably knows.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It is projected that female gamers will be the majority by the end of this year.
    I presume that in this country if this is true it will be purely down to Facebook and Android/iOS...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    There was some press recently that showed that Japan's main gaming demographic had changed to young women, mainly through the 3DS and Animal Crossing. Can't find it now. @regmcfly probably knows.

3DS is now targeting females ages 19-26 due to insane popularity of AC with them.
  • Yeah, what Moto said.

I think the status quo demographic of 360-PS3 owners in this gen and next will still be male. Do love my 3DS but will sell it when my girl buys me Shoe Shopper Max Turbo 4 as a legit game.
  • BROAD STEREOTYPING
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Imagine the world in which developers give money to make a shoe shopping game with the depth of Civ 5
  • Nah, make it like Dungeon Keeper

"My liege, your glorious empire of shoes is without a reliable source of soles. My I suggest harvesting them from the dead?"
  • No I'd say its legit.

Farmville, chefvile and Zynga in general would account for the mass increase in female 'gamers' and I'm sure 360-ps3 owners stats aren't too hard to find. What's the demographic in this place, 5 women?
    That's not a slight on anyone just usual meadia bs. Its facebook and angry birds abd wii fit
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Probably right. No info given as to what platform etc. but the way things are going platform is becoming less relevant is it not?

• I was more talking about the 'shoe shopper turbo bit' or whatever. You're right that the demographic is probably counting all those farmville types and iOS games. But plenty of the iOS folk here went nuts over Words With Friends and Draw Something... and so did every girl/woman I know. The issue with console games is that they cater mainly for men (mainly, not exclusively, but they are usually male fantasy driven) and that isn't changing just yet, but it will begin to.

There is something of a crisis over in America: mainly the quandary of 'the geek girl' or 'gamer girl' where this hobby so open and inclusive of anyone who enjoys a comic or a game is tripping itself up over girls and women who like the same stuff as them. How can they? Is this just ANOTHER tool for them to get sex and shit on men? No, it's just that attitudes are shifting, and girls are no longer required to be 'girly' by the media and stuff. So, the shift isn't dramatic, but it happening, glacially.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Couple this with the rise of e-sports and you could have interesting streamed battles of genders. If only girls were any good at games.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    "My liege, your glorious empire of shoes is without a reliable source of soles. My I suggest harvesting them from the dead?"

Solent Scene.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Thread contents not as advertised.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    So, the shift isn't dramatic, but it happening, glacially.

Nice observation.

I'd probably enjoy Words With Friends ALOT if I was on Facebook...
    But fug' dat' shi'...

Anyway...

Putting the point about console games being made for blokes to one side, why do you think that it's often common to find women rolling around with two smartphones? 

I'm a techhead, and I don't own a single one... 
    I'd question anyone rocking 2 modern phones (unless one of them was a cheap "backup" model) 

Conversely, as a bloke, I'd condemn no man for owning both a PS3 and 360... 
    Even though it's an even greater illustration of excess that the 2 smartphone "meme".

I know very few single chicks who'd even consider buying an Xbox (though they have favourite games - even it's shit like Singstar - though I've know one or two chicks who are handy on CoD and Street Fighter).
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Would that be because you don't actually know any single chicks?
    Why the fuck is this in italics? 
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I know a guy who has a PS3 for Buzz and EA Golf - had the same on PS2 as well. He wouldn't consider himself a gamer but pays a fair bit for 2 games that haven't really moved on (or need to to be fair).

Re my OP - My thinking is around this - if the market goes that way and piles of money are to be made from relatively low risk projects then do the monolithic FPS-es and such keep getting churned out to the degree that they currently are? Something has to stop that because the same old stuff getting refined over and over at seemingly greater expense and risk to publishers - so feeding the behaviour - is really getting me down.

Re the shift being glacial - I doubt it. People in this forum maybe don't see it because of our view of games - I certainly don't see it - but if there are now as many girls gaming (on whatever) than guys then it has already happened and the effects may be felt sooner than we are comfortable with. Or are there so many dev houses to soak the girls up (if you'll pardon the expression) that we won't feel it?

• why do you think that it's often common to find women rolling around with two smartphones?

Bitches be cheatin.

and not at PvZ

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'd argue it is fairly slow, at least the industry reaction to it will be slow.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Over the years there's been steady increases in the amount of youtube channels involving girls chattin' bout' the interactive media. Ironically in some areas it seems like more girls in the hobby = more sexploitation.

sexy-gamer-pose-reality-funny-6-29-12.jpg
  • No one who plays Disgaea deserves respeck, except Ulililia.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

don't fancy yours much...

• @bollockoff reminds me if the Jessica Chobot PSP lick
  • "Chobot" still reads like some kind of euphemism. It's unfortunate.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I reckon my missus plays more hours on games more than I do now.

Thing is, she only plays one game obsessively for months and months.

Single case observation obviously, but I get the very broad feeling women play one game a lot, rather than skipping round. I'm not sure what the implications there are.....but it feels like yes women are playing games more, but it's dangerous to think they're playing more games. I expect the people with big brains and speadsheets know this and it won't actually have a big impression on the types of games being released.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Couple this with the rise of e-sports and you could have interesting streamed battles of genders. If only girls were any good at games.

Arguably the best American SC2 player right now is female. Scarlett.
    GT: Knight640
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I also get the impression that many girls play the free stuff and wouldn't consider paying for something so frivilous - though we all know once a girl gets the taste for a product the retail limit is sky high.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Thing is, she only plays one game obsessively for months and months.

This seems entirely normal to me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

It's the only way I get anywhere in a game.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    Arguably the best American SC2 player right now is female. Scarlett.

Didn't know this. Hats off to her for making it in a masculine, testosterone fuelled world you go gurlfrend.

She probably sleeps with dozens of hot korean guys like a true playa.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!