'Twas A Vintage Year
‹ Previous12
  • WARNING:  This thread will include various amounts of nostalgia.

What year brought you the most joy in regards to gaming?  Was it because of a title you particularly loved or a console release that made you smile quite a lot?

Or maybe it was simply a year packed full of gems compared to no other?

For me it was 1995.  I'll never forget opening and playing the Sony PlayStation for the first time.

playstation_cake.jpg
  • I picked up my Amstrad CPC 464 in about 1988.  I instantly morphed into the nerd I have been since and never looked back.

suck my sprites biatches:

290px-Amstrad_CPC464.jpg
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • Probably one from 1998, 1999, 2000. The years of N64 splitscreen goodness.
    GT: Knight640
  • I picked up my Amstrad CPC 464 in about 1988.  I instantly morphed into the nerd I have been since and never looked back. suck my sprites biatches: 290px-Amstrad_CPC464.jpg

I was a Speccy man - never owned an Amstrad or C64.

My friends did, they used to take the piss out of my speccy but I loved it.
  • Knight wrote:
    Probably one from 1998, 1999, 2000. The years of N64 splitscreen goodness.

Same here I think, but more for the adventure stuff on N64 (not that MP didn't get played to death).
    Either that or 1993-1996 playing Mega Drive around my mates house after school for hours.

Generally I would say all things were better in the 90s but I was aged 4-14, the glory years.
  • Plan M wrote:
    I picked up my Amstrad CPC 464 in about 1988.  I instantly morphed into the nerd I have been since and never looked back. suck my sprites biatches: 290px-Amstrad_CPC464.jpg
    I was a Speccy man - never owned an Amstrad or C64. My friends did, they used to take the piss out of my speccy but I loved it.
    The Spectrum was awesome, and I think a bit more widely used at the time.  It had all the same games as the 464 but just a few less colours.  Saying that I think Chase HQ wasn't available on 464... so Spectrum wins tbh.
  • Knight wrote:
    Probably one from 1998, 1999, 2000. The years of N64 splitscreen goodness.

Turok Rage wars on N64 was AMAZING 4 player goodness.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It was either when we built a Command & Conquer / Red Alert LAN or it was the beginnings of Counter Strike [SpoD]. Either way around 2001/2. I had 128k ADSL for 128quid a month or something daft. My ping pwn'd which was probably the only reason why I was any good.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I think back when I was in year 10 at school, going back to a friends house over lunch to play 4 player Quake 2 and Crash Team Racing on his PS1 and multi-tap.

I think the group was heavily into FFVII and Pokémon at the time, as well. Not sure, time frames are hazy and that was 10 fucking years ago and now I'm sad.
  • Ah I've also got many good memories of 4 player goodness on the N64.  I don't like Wrestling but I'll never forget a load of us gathered in my mate's living room playing that WCW game.  So much fun.
  • 2001. The golden age of the Dreamcast.
  • I loved the Dreamcast... best console imho.  So many fun games, and it really was like having a home arcade.
  • Cheating slightly: Christmas '95/Jan '96.

The best triple whammy release window ever. Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop and Sega Rally, with Panzer Dragoon Zwei to follow a few months later....
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Probably around 2005 when I realised a dream and brought my first arcade cabinet.

An old wooden Jamma upright that came with an MVS 1-slot and Metal Slug that I picked up from an arcade distributor in Birmingham.

I'll never forget storing it at my Dads & Grandads for the first week and when we fired it up for the first time I'd upped the volume on the 1-slot board. Metal Slugs gun-firing intro blaring out at full blast did not amuse my Grandad one bit but it was a landmark moment for me, a bit like a 7 year old being let into a sweet shop and told help yourself.

Edit: May of been '03 thinking about it.
    Edit II: Nope 2001.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    1993.  1997 a close second, but 1993.  Secret of Mana, nuff zed.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Ah Secret of Mana.  Stunning game.
  • If i had to pick an era, it would be the earlyish 360 days of 'live and split screen fun on the '64.

Right now is probably the least exciting era. It's like im bored of games or something; totally tired of action or narrative based experiences. Give me Trials, Peggle, Braid, or Hotline Miami over the bigger releases. I like those simple, dynamic based games rather than those dependent on graphics and explosions. Total stagnation, for me.
  • N64 years. In fact that first year pounding Mario 64 probably stands out.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    2009. Trials HD.
  • 2002 - halo lan partys, 4 xboxs, 4 projectors and lots of party favours.
  • 1992 - SNES, SMW, Zelda: LttP, Super Tenniz, F-Zero... best year ever ever EVER!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I had a 10 year break from videogames, but got back into it when the Dreamcast appeared in 2000. I was living in America and one of my flatmates bought one in a Best Buy. When I got back home the Dreamcast had died, so I picked one up cheap in a Cash Converters with about 20 games for peanuts. Fell in love with Jet Set Radio, Dead or Alive 2, Soul Calibur and Power Stone.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    1997 - Goldeneye, Zelda, Blast Corps, Killer Instinct Gold, Parappa the Rapper, GTA, Lylat Wars, Quake 2. 

Fuck yeah.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    1992 : started working ("proper job" as a programmer) on 2nd January and got a SNES later that year. What a machine - I can vividly remember the marathon post pub Mario Kart and SF2 Turbo sessions - and even 2 SNES Super Tennis tourneys going on. Legendary.

That whole time of my life - mid 20's, pay in my pocket etc. all adds sparkly things to the nostalgia filter.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I was at school. Used to sell my homework answers to fund game purchases. Those were the days.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The N64 years for me.  Couldn't really pick just one.  When it came out I was too young (and not interested) in going out drinking in parks so spent countless hours playing mp with a group of mates.  There was a rotation of WCW: Revenge/Wrestlemania 2000, Goldeneye, ISS and Mario Kart. 

Only when Zelda came out was there a break.
  • Plan M wrote:
    I picked up my Amstrad CPC 464 in about 1988.  I instantly morphed into the nerd I have been since and never looked back. suck my sprites biatches: 290px-Amstrad_CPC464.jpg
    I was a Speccy man - never owned an Amstrad or C64. My friends did, they used to take the piss out of my speccy but I loved it.
    The Spectrum was awesome, and I think a bit more widely used at the time.  It had all the same games as the 464 but just a few less colours.  Saying that I think Chase HQ wasn't available on 464... so Spectrum wins tbh.

It was on my CPC 6128 though and it looked as good as this!

chasehq.jpg

The 6128 in all its glory, could blow anything on the Speccy out of the water but never achieved anything like the popularity it should have.  Old Sugar tits never was hot on his marketing.

Amstrad-CPC-6128.JPG
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Augusta Georgia late September
    One Mr Brown's hot tempered
    This man's possessed
    He's restless
    He's armed and dangerous
    Drugged and restless
    Mrs Brown you got a lovely son
    But he's on the run on a shotgun mission
    Listen here cocksuckers mother fuckers
    Pay respect to my building
    It's JB's property and it could be the one you get killed in
    Cops arrive what's this what's happening
    What what, where's the hot shot
    JB pushed his luck too far this time
    His pickup truck's flat out and flying
    'Oooh, I wanna get into it man'
    NOT NOW JAMES, WE'RE BUSY!

That should be right
    Not bad from memory.
  • Those of an 8-bit nostalgic bent will go all misty eyed over this too:

multiface.two.romatic.robot.jpg
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That was the business - once you loaded a game from tape - you pressed the STOP button and you could then save the RAM image to disk....thus enabling subsequent fast loading and save states on 8bit micros - magical. Was too dear for me when I had a CPC-464 though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!