Where next for online MP FPSes? (The next big thing?)
‹ Previous123456714
  • I started a thread on the bluroom with a similar theme, and with H4 and Blops 2 now out, and with BF3 out and well tested, I think the question should be raised again.

It appears classes/perks/unlocks etc have now completely taken over. I assume when companies hire people to be in charge of "player investment" or whatever euphemism they go for these days, what it means is that they want to find the best way of getting players to stay through unlocking shiny shit.

Now, before I show my total bias, and before anyone thinks that I can't see some merit to the idea of classes and unlocks: BFBC2 did it brilliantly, and was the closest I've seen to perfection as far as classes and large scale MP goes. A lot of things that don't work in other games work in it. JiP, and classes being the obvious. But even the unlocks are genius, because the guns are well enough balanced so that even after you unlock all the guns, you quite often end up back at your first gun or one of the early unlocks. Anyhoo, as I understand it, BF3 has not built on BFBC2's tradition.

H4 has sold it's soul. Blops 2 sounds like it has some new ideas, but it's still CoD.

All reports of Bungie's next effort sound like - regardless of other innovation - there'll be plenty of grinding and unlocking.

I ask again: Where next for the online FPS? Can anything bring something new to the table? Is there a company/personality big enough to come out and try the PR stunt of calling all of this grinding/perk based stuff outright crap and try and sell something on stripped back gameplay?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Consigned to history, hopefully.
  • I've had some good games of MW etc in the past, but I much prefer Left 4 Dead.

An excellent mix of both, co-op and versus game modes has made it my favourite online experience.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I think more shooters need "class-light" gameplay like TF 2. You can argue that item loadouts as they currently are, arn't much different from perk systems but the core classes are so tight and well designed in regards to eachother that players still have freedom of choice when it comes to playstyle and still rely on skill and tactics for enjoyment much more than weapon unlocks.

Hawken when it releases will be an interesting take. Unless someone who's played the beta comes in now and says "nah mate it's shit."

Mechwarrior Online looks interesting.

Tribes: Ascend is criminally underplayed and when you get into it it's like sex on Air (the Alton Towers ride).
  • I'd love someone to come out with a stripped down arena shooter, but I can't see it happening. Too much money at stake, the cost to build one of these things is enormous.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I can't see any of the established franchises taking stuff like unlocks and grinding away from their games once it's made it in there. I don't see how removing stuff and streamlining the game can be put over as a positive to publishers or the people buying the games at the minute.

Maybe a new IP on the next generation of consoles might give it a go, but I still think its a tough sell to the publishers. I long for the simplicity and slower pace of Halo 2 MP.
  • I'd love someone to come out with a stripped down arena shooter, but I can't see it happening. Too much money at stake, the cost to build one of these things is enormous.

Perhaps Sega will produce an HD remake of Outtriggers.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Balancing MP games

As recommended by knight (and nick) in the halo thread.

Seems to be a good place for it.

re the money at stake, I assume, and I assume you do to, that the money at stake is from ongoing micro transactions/DLC? The question then becomes twofold: Whether the game will sell enough at all at launch, and whether there's a way of making money from more stripped back DLC, like maps only, or extensions to other aspects of the game, like more campaign?
  • I can't see any of the established franchises taking stuff like unlocks and grinding away from their games once it's made it in there. I don't see how removing stuff and streamlining the game can be put over as a positive to publishers or the people buying the games at the minute.

Maybe a new IP on the next generation of consoles might give it a go, but I still think its a tough sell to the publishers. I long for the simplicity and slower pace of Halo 2 MP.

I said the same in the halo thread, pre-release. My thought/hope/prayer was that maybe you can sell it in combo with an extended forge and other features. If you play down stripping away the personal player fine tuning, but push the variety and depth available. I dunno, More maps, more forge, more gametype variety for customs, more theatre options, but core play is strictly defined.

Very much a genie out of the bottle sitcho though.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Or cosmetic items. Like hats.
  • Bollockoff wrote:

That seems to be the start of the slippery slope though. Reach had cosmetic stuff.

• Think of the season passes Face, think of the season passes!

As far as taking stuff out goes, 343 have taken out a good chunk of established Halo stuff, so they could quite easily sell Halo 5 as putting stuff back in even if they did remove all the crap I hate about Halo 4.

They could call it the most customisable Halo ever, and not just be referring to the glitter you can put on your Spartan dolly.
  • Season passes I can live with, more maps I can live with, think of the man hours you could save by not going all asymmetric and just concentrating on maps?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    That seems to be the start of the slippery slope though. Reach had cosmetic stuff.

It's potentially a big money earner and I don't see the devil in it that much, personally. Some people take it far too seriously like those who pay hundreds on ebay for rare TF2 hats but you'l always get those types.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I'd love someone to come out with a stripped down arena shooter, but I can't see it happening. Too much money at stake, the cost to build one of these things is enormous.

Has anyone had a proper poke at ShootMania? I bought into it ages ago but haven't really touched it. Maybe I should pull my thumb out. Great concept.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Persistence in [monthly?] cycles. I can't remember what MAG's Big Deal was, but surely an extension of that? Needs more than K/D on yer page.

For ten years I've had month-long Flashpoint battles in mind. It's a hard angle of attack without MLGing it for the worse, but something with three sides (East, West and neutral Civs) and delayed respawns to engender teamwork.

My old Flashpoint idea revolved around a limited number of respawns every 24 hours, which I think is a nice idea, but probably unviable in the current shooterman market. Once your lives are up you become a spectating seagull.

If it was 12 lives per 24 hours (you could always carve this thing out as an optional league feature, I suppose), you'd reclaim one life every two hours. Use 'em up as they arrive or wait to hit the cap. Removing players from the action would change the never-ending rush dynamic, allowing for Dune II gameplay in captured areas.

Random scouts wandering off and failing to report shit is one I've no answer to. Except the usual: play in a forum team.

So, Operation Dune.
  • Fuck all perks/upgrade systems hard in the fundament. Not even Hawken's been spared.
  • Seriously I thought I could rely at least on FPSes to keep the faith but noooooo

Hope the new Gears doesn't succumb, else will be another case of What Are Homebrew Teams Doing Instead.
  • It'll probably just boil down to f2p with micropayments. The good games will charge you for superfluous shit and the bad ones will reward a healthy wallet over skill.
  • What ever happened to MAG? I thought the concept was amazing.

Another stab at having 1000v1000 or something sounds interesting.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I'd love someone to come out with a stripped down arena shooter, but I can't see it happening. Too much money at stake, the cost to build one of these things is enormous.

They are pretty much consigned to XBLA now (Quake Arena, Nexuiz, Gotham, Breach, Section 8 ) and I could probably count the amount of players still playing on my Son's abacus. Because of the reduced price point, the net code is almost a passing thought.
  • I still think counter strike had the best weapon unlike idea, money won in a game spent on weapons everything reset for the next game. Essentially I think it's all over for a while though, the people have spoken.
  • @Olimite, could some company not just produce 'netcode' and out source it like a graphics engine?
  • not just for FPS, but i'd like to see a game put the reward system in reverse...instead of the players that play more getting better at the game and getting more stuff so they become better still....the better you are the less help you get...this isn't really about equipment per se, as much as the in game assists etc....but basically a game that works a bit like a golf handicap...you start of with a lot of help, with perhaps slightly unrealistic equipment stats, but as you play more and get 'promoted' that is all stripped away....so being a high rank is a badge of honour as it's all about skill, and if you're playing with a 5 star general you know he will be shit hot, but at the same time you also know it's not just that he's gonna have a superscope plasma rifle that can kill you before you've even spawned, his equipment will be no 'better' than yours...that would also encourage new people to come into the game at a later date, as you know you'll have a chance as the handicap will be in your favour...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Badge of honour lol.
    also its that kind of balancing that gives Mario kart criticism most of the time.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    @Olimite, could some company not just produce 'netcode' and out source it like a graphics engine?

I have no idea, but I'm assuming not otherwise it probably would have been done by now.
  • I really hope they get rid of perk bullshit. 

I hate how in CoD multi they give extra superpowers to whomever is in the lead. It's like the reverse Blue Shell. Imagine if whomever was in the lead in Mario Kart got a shell that shrank everyone else, stomped them flat, kicked them off the track and gave the leader a speed boost with invulnerability too.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Asynchronous experiences. Get it done.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll be raging if I can't get the option of being the puppet master/ director in L4D3
  • All of your ideas are stupid.

I think perks and unlocks are one of the more interesting FPS developments this generation. I think the issue is a lack of proper skill based matchmaking which can result in unfair matchups. Hopefully the inclusion of a league system in CoD will make developers start to take this more seriously.

Games like CoD and Halo will continue to be popular, the masses seem to like unlocks and perks. I think the next big thing will be MMOFPS games like MAG (but bigger and more persistent), Planetside and Dust 514 (but not Dust 514 because it seems pretty shit).
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Nexx wrote:
    I think the next big thing will be MMOFPS

Isn't this what Bungie are rumoured to be working on?

‹ Previous123456714

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!