FTL - new ace PC game
‹ Previous123456726
  • Haven't found a thread for this, but is anyone else playing it?

http://www.ftlgame.com/

It is proper awesome. And just six quid.

So you're a spaceship captain, and get to say stuff like "divert engine power to the shields" or "focus beam weapons on their drones"

Apparently it is a "rogue like" although I don't really understand what that means.

Anyway, everyone buy it. Thanks.
  • I like the look of it, but can't understand why it's not browser-based.

Roguelike is a genre of game, but FTL doesn't look overly like it in the video:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

Is it online/multiplayer at all?
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I've got it, had a quick go. I'll be interested to see how it becomes a rogue alike because the tutorial doesn't look like one. This is based on a few mins of play so it's very early days. 

I'd recommend that you buy it from the devs and not steam. From the devs you get a drm free download and a steam key.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Is it good then? I've heard it was good, but the video didn't exactly sell me. I'll have to admit I've no idea what Rogue like means either.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Turn based, class based, loot dropping randomly generated dungeon crawler basically.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • FTL is a rather splendid little game. Played it for about three hours today. The only Roguelike element to it is permadeath but it's damn good fun. You can get completely shafted, though, especially when you've only got a few crew members when some powerful craft unleashes hell. In my first game, my crew burned to death trying to extinguish a fire in the med bay. Seems to be a load of things to unlock. Well worth the price.
  • Somebody answer my question about whether this is just single player.
  • It is just single player.
  • I was worried that was the case.  Can't see myself spending the time required to play this style of game if it's just me, so I'm out.
  • It's not actually that long a game - I made it to the final boss on one of my (many and on easy difficulty) run-throughs yesterday and would say it took a couple of hours. You can also play it windowed so it's one of those games you can have going on while doing other stuff (posting this for example)

You can play it a lot of different ways - balls out missile attack; sit back and let drones do the work; teleport your hardest crew members across to destroy them from the inside; cloak and sneak past; etc.

If you get to certain places and do certain things you unlock different ships to play with on a new run-through. Even without a different ship each play through is totally different - new galaxy map / loot drops etc.

Great little game
  • Two hours, you say? Well, that changes everything; very good length for a game.
  • my crew burned to death trying to extinguish a fire in the med bay.

Unless you have Rock crew members (immune to fire) just evacuate the area on fire and de-pressurise. Same way to deal with invaders. I always quickly upgrade to the better blast-doors to give more control.

The worst thing is when your internal cameras have been knocked out so you don't actually know where the fire is.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    Two hours, you say? Well, that changes everything; very good length for a game.

Might be three, I lost a track of time playing, but it isn't over long for sure.

Also, in your first few goes (especially on normal difficulty) playtime will be measured in minutes.
  • Thought this was gonna a thread about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTL_Games
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Having a great run at the moment.

Stupidly purchased an overpowered laser early with little consideration of the power requirement. To use it I had to shut down a load of other systems, often engine, which meant I could never escape from fights, and sometimes shields which saw me take a battering.

Was limping along, hull down to 25% when I ended up too close to a super nova which fried my systems only for two pirates to teleport on board and start smashing my ship up from the inside. Eventually managed to suffocate them by some shrewd door management, but they left a hell of a mess. Took a while to get the engines back on, before a random jump away. Thankfully no nasties were waiting in  the next system, so I patched up the hull breaches and carried on.

A couple of systems later and it's all looking good. Can now run the laser along side another laser and a smart bomb. You can teleport the smart bomb on board the enemy, so I use that to take out the shields then open up with the lasers.

I'm fully shielded up, got two mantis on board (crew excellent at repelling boarders) and am gearing up for the boss battle.

Top stuff.
  • Thought this was gonna a thread about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTL_Games

Me too! Then I hoped it was a Dungeon Master remake. 

However, this little game looks excellent so I've bought it. Make it run on an iPad!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Top stuff.

Sounds it. Think I'll sign up to this.

Thread title might do with some disambiguation *shrugs*
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    This is Awesome.

--Transmission Ends.
  • I've just bought this.  I hope it's as good as everyone says, it's not like I don't have lots of stuff I need to play already.

Nice surprise to find out it's sold through Humble Bundle.
  • Everyone burnt to death, my Picard aspirations dashed.
  • Quick question: what's the difference between "hanger" and "restart" on the game over screen?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Restart restarts with your current ship (and difficulty), hangar lets you choose a different one (and change difficulty, crew names, etc). Doesn't really apply when you've only got one ship choice.
  • Ah, that'll save me a few clicks, thanks; I'm restarting a lot at the moment.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's getting bought. Is the soundtrack worth it?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not that I've noticed. Depends how much you like chiptunes I guess.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Purr chased. minus ost.
  • The final boss is sooooo tough. Tried a few different permetations against it, with little success.

Currently rocking four different lasers that if fired together give me 9 shots - enough to rip through most shields and do a bit of damage.

Tried a run through where I tried using a teleporter to beam across my toughest crew, but ended badly when I accidentally killed two of them in a friendly fire incident.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Barely scrapped the surface here then it seems. Only just unlocked a Engi ship which handily comes with drones and ion cannons. Made life a lot easier even though I'm still finding my feet on on easy mode. drones kick booty.

Had a earlier fun ol' turn when I managed to get all but Captain Cook slaughtered in a horrific fire incident (my piss poor door management may not have helped I will admit and may have accidentally made it a bit tricky to breath at one point for the valiant firefighters…*cough*) 
    Kept the old crate running and gunning on his Jack Jones the brave soul but couldn't keep it up forever.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I was up until half three playing this last night.  I'm a bit rubbish, though; if it doesn't throw me another permanent upgrade soon, I'm going start getting fed up.

Also, it needs an Android version.
  • YESSSSS

Just completed it on easy in my lunch break. Epic final battle, and the victory was tinged with sadness after Maxim, my fearless alien warrior, died fighting off an enemy boarding.

RIP Maxim
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've read some reports of it being too big for some screens so I've had to give this a miss. I've only got a small netbook thing.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
‹ Previous123456726

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!