Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • I say throw, I mean employ several heavy set men to lift and drop it out of the window.
  • If it's a Sony crt I wish you luck.
    Lifting those can easily break your back.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I thought I was in the minority tbh.  I think the whole series is massively overrated, least of all that NES game and the arcade game its based off, its just not that good, especially for Capcoms high standards.
    Ghouls was a pretty impressive arcade game when it came out, and the difficulty wasn't that weird for arcade games at the time. It then came out on the MD pretty early and was an impressive show of what it could do. Super then did the same for the SNES. Both games were superseded pretty quickly by other games on the consoles, but by then already had that classic status.

I still like them both, but there was clearly better, more modern stuff coming along at the time. It's an old school style of gameplay that was on the brink of being outdated even back then. Possibly the best of its kind just as a whole new ethos of game design was taking root.
  • I'm quote fond of the Master System version.  It adds enough to be a legit curio - speed boots etc.  A family bereavement meant I had £100 to spend on whatever the fuck I wanted when I was 10, so I bought that, Champions of Europe and something else (can't remember what off-hand, Prince of Persia maybe).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm still a big fan of the original Ghosts & Goblins. It's in my top100 game list in that thread. 

davyK wrote:
    Ghosts & Goblins
    This game shouldn't be popular. It's a bastard of a coin grabbing, cheating fuck. It's glitchy and bug ridden but I love it. It's another game I first saw in the arcade and it was gorgeous looking with great atmospheric sound. I hate to be one to overlook gameplay for look and feel but the design of this game, which includes that little red devil bastard, means it carries off the baggage of its shortcomings. I've played this via many retro compilations and MAME and I'll still pass 30mins or so with it from time to time.

I never really got into the sequel. It just didn't have the same feel as the original. This SNES game is an improvement over that. The original game was a tough bitch but that can be excused because it was about eating coins. A home game should be a bit more forgiving (with an expert mode for those who like their pain.)

Super G&G looks gorgeous but that difficulty just gets in the way. Being able to move mid-jump would help it enormously.  3/5
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Sounds like we all think the same really, just with varying degrees of nostalgia/soft spot.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Super GnG - SNES/GBA (version tested)

It looks like I'm more keen on this than most.  It's evil, it's unenjoyable for the most part, and the way it sends you back to the beginning is obscene, but there's a huge sense of satisfaction when you reach a new checkpoint.  I think I'll go for a needlessly convoluted:

SNES: 85%       
    GBA: 82%
    Save state assisted retro game: 87%

With the ability to cheat for infinite attempts, it becomes a better game.
  • Nice.

Whos up next?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nick then me, then start again?

Will do that OP this weekend btw.
  • I'm on this tomorrow chaps, will post review then next game.
  • Right Super Ghouls n Ghosts then...

Spent the afternoon on this, first game played on the spanking Bang & Olufsen CRT I acquired through Moot. The game looked great, and the sound on the telly was phenomenal, sub set to +3 it really belted out those great tunes that this game has (audio does indeed raise this game's score).

Like Davy, I can fully get on board with all the negatives about GnG, but I love it nonetheless. It's a chunky sprite swear-a-thon and makes no excuses for it. I enjoy the setting, each world and the aforementioned music enough that I forgive the trial and error nature of the gameplay.

I did a run through on default, 3 lives mode, no continues, and barely made the fire world. Pumped lives up to 9 after that and with a couple of continues saw the first end. It's definitely a ball breaker and I can see why some would like some control on the jumps. Personally I think the jumps are fine, it's an old school platformer, but would have liked armour upgrades to not shatter fully naked when hit, instead just shatter to the previous level of armour. Plus the weapons weren't very balanced, some so much better than others when in green or gold armour.

Overall, I'll give this Daimakaimura a rose tinted 8/10

k9ydFVt.jpg

If it's my choice next then please pencil in Snake Rattle N Roll on the Nes, I have super fond memories of playing it quite a lot at a friends house but have never returned, so gonna be interesting to see how it holds up.
  • Look at those lovely knees.
  • You know it mate
  • Bonus points for anything else mandem can spot in the reflection, some should be easy.
  • 2 cans of Stella
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • SNES Star Wing bundle box
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Points for retro. Could've had extra if you'd said pint cans but everyone knows they're not worth the money so fair play.
  • And yeah Starfox snes bundle, best Xmas ever.
  • Extra points because you said Star Wing. You're in the lead mate.
  • The posh cat food they sell at the vets.
  • A slightly squished protruding testicle.
  • A point and a half, it was a vacuum cleaner.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Snake Rattle & Roll then. Another one I always intended to try. When I had a NES it was always one I fancied but the game tended to be among the higher priced ones.

Think I may have added that ROM to the NESTER DC disc I have so might play it that way. NESTER on PC is ultra reliable as a backup.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I got Rare Replay for free the other day, and gave Snake Rattle 'N' Roll a go as I had fond memories of it as a nipper.

Unplayable wank.
  • I bought this for the Megadrive when I was a kid. Monthly allowance for a single game under a tenner from the market. Saw this in a magazine so wanted it. Don't think I ever beat the second level.
  • One I wanted as a kid but didn't really like when I picked it up in the great eBay boom of the early 00s.

Will give it a proper go and see if it makes the cut or gets culled along with Robocop.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • We dabbled with this for week 9.
    Will play again now that I've got a proper retro pad, the Caanoo stick was awful.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I bought this for the Megadrive when I was a kid. Monthly allowance for a single game under a tenner from the market. Saw this in a magazine so wanted it. Don't think I ever beat the second level.
    You didn't.
    Tempy wrote:
    I had this on the Mega Drive and I could never get past the second level.
  • Well I got to the 3rd level on the NES version. Control is a bit of a nightmare with a keyboard.

No more isometric games please. ;)
  • Just tilt your head to the side a bit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!