Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's some loose rules about picks on page 77, about suitable genres etc. Didn't we all agree it was Atari to 16Bit as well?

Forgot about that.  Happy to keep to that. I don't mind what the format is.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm gonna draw from the hat at lunch because I'm bored/looking forward to the next round. 

The players in the pot:

Davy
    Jon
    Hunk
    Reg
    RetroK
    Eric
    Moot
    Moot*

*Unless a challenger appears...
  • A beautiful assistant walked in, so I've gone and done it already.

Group 1:

Moot and Hunk

Group 2:

Retro and Reg

Group 3:

Jon and Moot*

Group 4:

Eric and Davy

For the newcomers: suggest three or more games you hold dear/think your partner might like/want to watch someone struggle with/whatever.  We're aiming for new retro experiences, so your partner should pick something they haven't played whenever possible.  If they've played the lot, nae worries, just suggest more and chew the fat amongst yourselves.  Loose rule of thumb is up to and including 16-bit, but we've had a Dreamcast and a Playstation title so far.  Depends on access.  Get stuck in over the course of a few weeks and post your thoughts.
  • Thanks for the PM Moot.
    Seems like good fun this thread but my gaming time/effort is too sporadic these days to commit to much.

Might check and see what others are playing though.
  • FFS, now DS will know he wasn't first choice.
  • I thought we were abdominal migraine brothers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Where do we stand on game boy advance
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Because ive got retro and I know one immediately for him
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd be up for some GBA games. Only ever played Mario Kart on it. I take it it's easy to emulate?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Eric. Any particular platform and genre?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I'd be up for some GBA games. Only ever played Mario Kart on it. I take it it's easy to emulate?

I believe so
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If I recall correctly, there's a good emulator called NO$GBA which always makes me smile. I believe it's actually a DS emulator technically but obv due to ds playing GBA, you're fine.
  • It's easy to emulate, even my Gemei A330 does and excellent job of GBA. Failing that, or if he'd prefer, I might be able to lend him the GB Micro and cart depending on the game.
  • Ok, so how does this work? We pm each other suggestions?
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'm good with any of the following:

Atari 2600, NES, Master System, PC Engine, Mega Drive, SNES, Mega CD, 32X and PlayStation.

Game Boy, Lynx, Game Gear, GBC and GBA.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hunk wrote:
    Ok, so how does this work? We pm each other suggestions?

We usually just list some suggestions in here.  Give me an idea of your genre tastes/which consoles you did most of your gaming on and I'll try to pick a few things.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm good with any of the following:

Atari 2600, NES, Master System, PC Engine, Mega Drive, SNES, Mega CD, 32X and PlayStation.

Good. So far I have a PS1 and a GBA pick for you. Are there any "types" of games that are complete bete noir for you?
  • davyK wrote:

Davy go for anything. If I haven't got the game I should be able to emulate it even Mame etc.

What about yourself?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Available:
    Md, snes, nes, gba, gb, gbc, ms/ggear.
    Also, you know what you should be playing Moot!
  • I'm up for that (fan pimped Streetfighter 2: SCE on MD), assuming it works on the Picodrive.  Will have a look tonight.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I thought we were abdominal migraine brothers.

Hahaha
    Forgot about that.
  • regmcfly wrote:

Good. So far I have a PS1 and a GBA pick for you. Are there any "types" of games that are complete bete noir for you?

No RPGs/RTS/Sim type stuff. Mainly because the amount of time it requires to form an opinion of.

Other than that anything really.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Davy go for anything. If I haven't got the game I should be able to emulate it even Mame etc. What about yourself?

Same. Only thing I probably won't play is an RPG.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm up for that (fan pimped Streetfighter 2: SCE on MD), assuming it works on the Picodrive.  Will have a look tonight.

Don't forget the ssf2 mod. You'll be pleasantly surprised by that one too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

No RPGs/RTS/Sim type stuff. Mainly because the amount of time it requires to form an opinion of.

Other than that anything really.

Then we are good!
  • DS has answered the rallying cry, so he goes in team 3 with Jon.  Get picking gentlemen.
  • davyK wrote:
    Eric wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Davy go for anything. If I haven't got the game I should be able to emulate it even Mame etc. What about yourself?

Same. Only thing I probably won't play is an RPG.

Duly noted.

I'll hold my hands up here, I have never played a turn based RPG for longer than the first turn based battle. I've never really bothered to understand the mechanics and the fact that most seem to be time sinks tend to see me steer clear.

That said Im not adverse to eventually playing one but as you and Retro stated, this probably isn't the time.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • ... or the place.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    DS has answered the rallying cry, so he goes in team 3 with Jon.  Get picking gentlemen.
    Super.

So DS, any particular formats, genres? Which consoles have you not played so much of before?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    OK retro. Here's my top 3, in ranked order. I think 1 will be the one you'd like most.

1. Intelligent Qube - PS1
    This is a game I first saw on an episode of Game Centre CX, and that I then had to play. It's a 3D puzzle game where you are trying to make cubes disappear, while making sure your character isn't pushed off the ledge at the same time. Even though it's not ostensibly Japanese it feels it, especially with the sound as you fall off the edge. I think when it clicks it's a real cracker, and has great classical music on the ost too.

2. Astro Boy Omega Factor - GBA
    The best GBA game no one played, and the wild, long forgotten Treasure title. For a GBA game it's completely stunning, and the boss fights are classic treasure. I think you'll enjoy it as a pick up and play beat em up, and the special moves are kind of interesting as sometimes you need them to navigate a level.

3. Choplifter - Master System
    You will probably most likely have played this, likely on commodore, but the master system one is based on the arcade port, which I think plays a little faster, looser and better. It's still flying about, picking up hostages, but I also like the big ol chunky master system graphics too!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!