Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • It's a superb game, out of that and IV as my favourite of the series.

MD one is great too, I like Vampires Kiss/XX on SNES too, basically I love all the 2D A-B games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Didn't get round to playing any Capcom games unfortunately.

I did get the GBA shoebox + GB Micro out though.  I'm keen on starting a regular-ish retro routine for myself again, so I'll post a pic of my collection later, list the games I haven't played, and play whatever gets the most votes from you lot.

Meanwhile, any GBA favourites anyone wants to randomnly rave about?
  • Shame we didn't all play Black Tiger.

As for GBA, I sold most of the games I had ages ago.

Only ones I kept were Fire Emblems, Advance Wars, Astro Boy and Yoshi's Island, which is still an excellent selection.
  • I sold most of my played games recently but kept a small number that I need to play/complete. Off the top of my head, they include:

Wario Land 4
    Boktai
    Boktai 2
    Astro Boy (played but not completed)

I think there are more but can't remember. Will check when I get home.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • @Moot_Geeza If you've got Mickeys Magical Quest on GBA I'll play through the SNES version with you. Capcom game too.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Not got Mickey's, probably one of the few games I planned to buy but didn't.  I did play through it a few years ago on an emulator.  Pretty sure there was a debate about the Capcom Disney's vs the Sega Disney's.

I'd definitely be up for Wario Land 4 though, my copy is pretty much unplayed.
  • Magical Quest was good. A bit easy, back then anway, but a real looker too.
  • Come to think of it, we did a Disney week on here.  I ploughed through the two Illusion games I'd missed on Master System, then did Mickey's Magical Quest, had a crack at Mickey Mania (hasn't aged too well) and maybe DuckTales was dispatched in that fortnight too?  Memory is hazy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't have many GBA games. Mario Kart is the only one I can remember owning off the top of my head. Think I have a Castlevania game as well.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Come to think of it, we did a Disney week on here.  I plowed through the two Illusion games I'd missed on Master System, then did Mickey's Magical Quest, had a crack at Mickey Mania (hasn't aged too well) and maybe DuckTales was dispatched in that fortnight too?  Memory is hazy.

They were all seperate weeks I think. There was the 'Use Your Illusion' week remember.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • i've just started the DS version of FE on my Wiiu, the screen set up is barmy.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Come to think of it, we did a Disney week on here.  I plowed through the two Illusion games I'd missed on Master System, then did Mickey's Magical Quest, had a crack at Mickey Mania (hasn't aged too well) and maybe DuckTales was dispatched in that fortnight too?  Memory is hazy.
    If you dodged Fantasia you did well. Truly a stinker.

One of those games I paid good money for back then, realised quickly it was pretty awful, but had to keep playing to get some kind of value.
  • JonB wrote:
    One of those games I paid good money for back then, realised quickly it was pretty awful, but had to keep playing to get some kind of value.

I think most of those Disneys games are like this. Polished to the hilt but to short and to easy. I remember completing Duck Tales and Aladdin on the first days play. Hard to say what side of the good/bad line they are really.

Except of course...
    JonB wrote:
    If you dodged Fantasia you did well. Truly a stinker.
    ... that was upsettingly bad.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    If you dodged Fantasia you did well. Truly a stinker. One of those games I paid good money for back then, realised quickly it was pretty awful, but had to keep playing to get some kind of value.

What a missed opportunity Fantasia was as a game. Could have been beautiful. Could still be if someone picked it up and started from scratch.
  • The recent Castle of Illusion update was surprisingly good.  Short, sweet and faithful to the original.  A fiver well spent imo.
  • @Retroking1981 and I have decided to try to get back into the swing of things with regular retro gaming.  I've neglected them a bit this year, which is a shame considering how many we got through in recent years (finished at least 50 in this thread). 

We're gonna play one game a month until we finish it, but leave the game we play open to suggestion on here.  If it's feasible for us both to play it, we'd like suggestions for NES, Master System, Megadrive or SNES games please (easiest to emulate/more likely one of us owns the cart), but it kinda has to be completable in under 6hrs on www.howlongtobeat.com.

Fire away chaps, we'll pick stuff neither of us has played.
  • I'm game.

I've been getting quite depressed with the current gaming landscape this year, I think some retro will do me good.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Thought It'd help get you out of your funk.  Should've told you first though :)
  • Skyblazer on snes is a game I've always wanted to play. You guys should maybe give it a go and let me know what you think. 

Meant to be short and easy but fun.
  • What about some shooters? I could recommend a few.
  • Anything that isn't open world and has pixels will be fine for me.

Recommend away.

Skyblazer sounds good, cheers elf.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Skyblazer looks like a good one to start with, will check my emulators tonight.  I guess no set time on it Retro?  Just when we're both done we move on to the next choice?
  • As far as shooters, I'd definitely try Hellfire and Gynoug (but I think we did that before). Thunderforces 3 and 4 are pretty good too. I also like Granada, which is a little different and doesn't look much, but plays really well. Possibly Jap only.

On SNES it's Super Aleste, R-Type 3, Axelay, UN Squadron.

I've almost certainly forgotten some.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Swiv on SNES is worth a look. It's a tad workmanlike but you have 2 vehicles (copter and jeep) that make it play quite differently and it looks nice. You have 2 player simultaneous mode too.

I enjoyed to the point I have 1CC-ed. The game doesn't allow continues and it's no walkover.

• I've never played a Thunderforce properly (did a few levels of IV recently).  I should rectify this, being a Segatard.  Had Hellfire briefly in the mid 90s, brutal but excellent. We did Axelay, Super Aleste and UN Squadron in here.  I struggled to finish UN Squadron even with save states, that fucking ceiling boss.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really enjoyed SWIV (which is a pun as it is Silkworm 4, which is also called Firepower 2000 in the US). I nice intro if you want to start 1CC-ing shmups.
  • We played that on a retro day recently.  Pretty sure we all liked it, but rk has the scores.
  • I'm currently selling Super Aleste and Macross Scrambled Valkyrie on eBay, finishes tonight. ;)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Aleste is magnificent. Genuinely knocked my socks off and it still impresses. I haven't yet seen a better use of Mode 7 than level 2.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!