Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yep. Rule is if the power supply is external (GC, SNES, N64, 2600) then you can use an import console with a UK power brick. If it's internal (PS, DC, Saturn) etc. then you need a step-down.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Righto thanks - I have a UK GC lead at work will that fit?
  • No.

GCN lead was proprietary.

eBay NES/SNES AC adapter, thats what your after.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've been using a ps2 from Vietnam for years without any step down, have used a jp style lead and a UK lead. What's the deal there, re.step downs?

Whilst I'm here, any advice on hooking nes, 2600 and similar to hd tv? Done some googling, I only have an rf lead atm. Plug in and see it sounds like, but figured there'd be some expertise here?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vietnam has a 220Volt 50Hz domestic supply - close enough so that your PS2 isn't fried by the UK power supply.

With a 2600 options are limited. There is a composite mod kit available but if you can't be arsed with that and the TV doesn't have an analogue/RF in then you would have to use a VCR that has a composite out. I have used the VCR method to connect my 2600 to a projector.
  • Ahh makes sense on the ps2. We did check the voltage before using, but somehow I thought se Asia was all the same (no racist).

I got the fami and snes hooked up today no probs, first through a standard tv cable, second through a gc composite. Spent about 4 hrs playing Barman nes, got all the way to joker then switched off in frustration after an hour on that bastard last level. Cuntish. Very happy to have the old consoles confirmed working though, now to track down a non ridiculous expensive copy of Bucky o hare.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The power thing in Vietnam might have something to do with its history as a French colony.
  • One of the best Batmans, for sure.  The music is superb.  Played and finished Bucky last month, the difference in visuals between an early NES game and something like that is quite incredible.  Check out Shatterhand if you ever see a reasonably priced cart, it needs no nostalgia as it's one of those timeless classics.
  • Shatterhand looks ace, imma do some eBay hunting this weekend for a few carts I think, mainly Bucky and a megaman (recommend away pls, they're a massive gap in my gaming history) so will keep my eyes open.

Going to tackle SM2 US (snes all star) this weekend. Never owned as a kid so never finished. Probably the best Mario OST I reckon, that overworld theme, mmmm.
  • Megaman X meant to be awesome. If you're planning on buying the actual SNES cart and not emulate it, you may have to sell a kidney first or something.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Ah was after something earlier and nes related, want to get a good footing in the series. Think I dipped into 1 or 2 on emu but never enough to satisfy.

Remember lovely screenshot of X from mags back in the day. Hadoukens phwoooar etc.
  • Will add x to the list tho for sure, but a little lower down, cheers !
  • Duh, of course, the talk is of NES games. My life pretty much began with SNES so I dunno. Retroking is a NES master. I think.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Mega Man 2 is considered the best of the NES 6.

I've always had a soft spot for the original though as thats the one I had as a kid.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I ploughed through a load of NES recommendations in here a year or so ago.  Will go back and find the write ups when I get a chance.  There was a great ninja one, can't remember the name offhand.  Gun.Smoke is top tier 8-bit.
  • Gun.Smoke is incredible. If I copy and paste the NES spreadsheet would you tidy it up so its readable @Moot_Geeza ?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • OK, pm it or email it pls, will try to sort it out.
  • Thanks to SuperMoot, I've now started playing Link to the Past. It seems pretty good so far. Currently looking for the Elder to learn about the Master Sword.
  • Good luck, combat gets tricky further in, in terms of difficulty it laughs in the face of ALBW (but probably cowers at the sight of the NES ones).  I hope the battery backup holds out.
  • I'm ready to get back on the regular-ish retro playthroughs if someone wants to suggest the next game to play/discuss.
  • Some of the games on the Capcom Classics perhaps? Been playing them anyway recently, but might be good to compare efforts on the same stuff, depending on how many of is have access of course.
  • Old NES reviews for Nick:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Finished Felix the Cat. Based on quality this felt like it should be quite well known. It's a platformer with basic shooter stages thrown in, and a constant shmup style three tier power up/power down system from pick-ups. It looks/sounds good, and sprite flick is minimal. I particularly liked the paddleboat stages, as jumping into the water makes you submerge, and you can pop out at a higher velocity if you time the button push. The whole game felt suited to speed runs, but these sections especially. It seems on par with Chip n Dale and other well regarded platformers to me. Very good. Not too short either, but a bit on the easy side. 87%.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Shadow of the Ninja done.  I'm constantly impressed with the NES.  I never had one as a kid, as I was firmly on the Master System side of the fence, and I didn't realise until recently quite how many quality lesser-known games there were for it.  Perhaps this was wildly popular, and I just read the wrong sources online.  There aren't too many under the radar Master System gems, certainly not in comparison, and (mostly) everything about this game seems too good for it not to be in I Love The NES lists online. The thing that surprised me about it the most, other than how solid everything was, is the fact that it can be played by two players simultaneously.  Not to bang on about the Master System, but that very rarely happened on Sega's machine.  Even the Golden Axe port was a gimped single player effort (so was the Mega CD version actually, but that's just because someone at some point in the development process was a fucking idiot). Srsly, if this game had a wall jump and a few less annoying bits where it feels like you have to take a hit if you're carrying the wrong weapon, it would be God-tier ninja platformer.  Even the music is good. 89%
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've probably had my fill of Maoi Kun for now, may return later in the year.  I'm not sure how long it is, but it seems like the sort of game that could go up to 99 stages.  It took me quite a while to work out how to do level 7, so it's not a game that eases you in as gently as a modern puzzle platformer would.  I spent quite a lot of time on it, despite only playing to level 22, because there's a huge emphasis on trial and error/pre-planning.  As far as I can tell it doesn't feel the need to throw new mechanics at the player every ten levels or so - you can attack, push, jump and use bombs if you collect them and that's about it (although springs were introduced just as I gave up, for a higher jump).  Everything else is just level design based around these principles, and it was all very enjoyable.  It's the sort of game that would have given me a profound sense of satisfaction if I'd completed it as a kid, I assume it gets diabolically fiendish towards the end. 85% I've jabbed, hooked and clumped my way through five levels of Shatterhand so far.  It may be the pick of the bunch for me.  Will finish this week.  The boss at 3mins50secs in the following vid was nail bitingly tense, even after I worked that pattern out, because he took a surprising amount of hits. Edit: heh, I'm obviously doing something wrong because the main character is a robot in that clip, and I haven't progressed past a red gillet yet.
  • And why not...
    IanHamlett wrote:
    In Solbrain, getting different power-ups would change the color of your Power Ranger armor. That makes sense. In Shatterhand, power-ups change the color of your sleeveless shirt. A shirt that is sleeveless because you punched the fucking arms out of it while trying to put it on, the same as all your other tops, because you're so fucking badass. The cut scene at the start of Solbrain has been swapped for a three shot attract mode. 1. Man in sleeveless top. 2. Robot firing a big gun. 3. Man in sleeveless top punching robot. Fuck me. That's an attract mode, a strategy guide, and every three act story ever told in 10 seconds of solid awesome. How do you deal with enemies that shoot you when you've only brought fists? The answer is glaringly obvious. You punch the fuckimg bullets because you're so fucking badass.
  • I'm saying yes Dan as the snes has an external psu as does that plug.

Go for it.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • One of the reviews states that the lead is too small for the SNES. I'd double check Dan with the seller
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I actually started playing Dracula X Chronicles last night. Got through the first 3 levels without much trouble and was really enjoying it, but level 4 is incredibly frustrating.
  • Is that the level on a pirate ship?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Is that the level on a pirate ship?
    No, various blade traps and an incredibly annoying bit with these rolling balls that you have to jump on to climb up some staircases. You don't have to go that way, but the other way is quite irritating too.
  • Level 4 done. Found a new character earlier on. Level 5 done. Now getting annoyed on level 6.

It feels like they wanted to make the first few levels fun and the rest a test of patience.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!