Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I got the end of ball bonus before entering a bonus round - maybe I didn't get the bonus again but I thought I did..

There's isn't much in the way of info about this game at gamefaqs but it seems to be choc-full of features.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    I got the end of ball bonus before entering a bonus round - maybe I didn't get the bonus again but I thought I did..
    I think that's the one on the middle screen. Pretty sure it takes you to a bonus stage after.
  • 30m with two balls remaining and Retroarch crashed on the JXD.  She's absolutely fuming.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Scored 23,161,000. Had an extra ball plus one more ball remaining at 22m and blew it.
  • This is my worst month for gaming. Can't believe I'm missing out on this challenge.

I'm not particularly good at the game, but it is probably in my top ten of all time (according to the B&B tread)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Definitely one of my favourite MD games.

I once managed to do all the bonus stages in one game. I seem to remember it giving a bonus of 160 million for that, but I'm not exactly sure. I've certainly scored in the 100s of millions before.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This pinball challenge has had me delving around in my collection. Played a bit of Pro Pinball : The Web today (Saturn version). It's the opposite of Alien Crush/Dragon's Fury in that it is a simulation - albeit of a non existent table. Excellent though.

• That looks decent.  Did it have the option of a slightly more top-down view? 

It's a shame Pinball FX2 isn't often on sale on the Vita.  I played it on 360 and thought it was excellent, but I'm not paying £7ish per table.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - there's a "high view" and it's much better - that's what I've used. Only one gripe with it is that it doesn't support saving to the backup cart - only to the onboard backup - which is a bit lazy.

Have bought a few tables for that 360 Pinball game - lovely looking game.

Pro Pinball Trilogy for Dreamcast is nice too (doesn't have The Web table sadly).
  • Dragon's Fury again, sorry: How do you finish bonus no.5?  I've just been asked, it's the only one she hasn't done.  I spent a few minutes bashing my head against a wall whilst using save states, but after popping the door I can't work out what to do.  The amount of times a flaming creature has blocked the ball entering the door by appearing at the last moment can't be a coincidence...can it?  Surely it's designed as a block when you hit the flipper correctly?  Poor show by me, but I got fed up with trying it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have an approx. life of 8 secs on the bonus rounds…..The only one I have managed to complete is the dragon head one - no. 1 or no.2 I think that is?
  • I think that's no.1.  

I tried to check out Dragon's Revenge yesterday, but my ROM won't load on either of the emulators I use.  Probably for the best.
  • Bonus 5 is super difficult.

You'll notice there are blue dots all over the floor. Every time you kill one of the creatures when it's standing on a blue dot, the dot turns red. You have to turn them all red. You have to break the door in the middle at some point because more creatures come out of it, and some of the dots are only covered by those creatures.

I think it's virtually impossible with the standard single flipper arrangement. It's a bit easier to do it with the double flippers, without the ball launchers at the side, but still tough.
  • Moved on to Psycho Pinball today.  It's got quite an individual look, I can't think of many Megadrive games that look quite so....chunky.  The whole package is nice, the tables aren't over-elaborate, but there are secrets to reveal.  The dot matrix display is well done, the sound is quite meaty (very clangy Codemastersy music) and there are multiple themed tables.  It's not Dragon's Fury though, which was its biggest problem.  I'm currently waiting for my turn on that, had a good run earlier that didn't end up giving me a whole lot of points, but if I'd been playing a survival mode I would've aced it.
  • I can't sleep with hangovers, so I was up long before the baby this morning.  Coffee and Konami took place between 6am and 8am.  After playing half of Castlevania: Bloodlines (using Lecarde, this time), a few worlds of the criminally under-appreciated Tiny Tons: Buster's Hidden Treasure, completing Rocket Knight Adventures and starting Probotector (multiple routes, was this a first for Contra?), I thought I'd change the thread to choose-your-own Konami games for a few weeks.  It's incredible how well they adapted to the Megadrive hardware.  

Feel free to post advice on what to play, or memories of favourite titles etc.  My next game will be Mystical Ninja on SNES.
  • Mystical Ninja on SNES is an amazing game. Do it. 

I'd love Contra 3 and Sunset Riders both another go on my SNES. If I had time.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's probably near unique the way there are completely different games for most of the franchises on MD and SNES.

SNES Contra/Probotector and Mystical Ninja are favourites. I struggled to get far with the MD Probotector, despite being impressed with what I played, because they made it a bit too tough.

Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose is also well worth a shot. And Axelay.

I know we've done Parodius and Super Castlevania IV here before.
  • Yeah, the difficulty in the MD Probotector ruins an otherwise excellent game.  File alongside The Adventures Batman & Robin - top class games ruined by whoever's bright idea it was to crank the difficulty up 20% more than was necessary.

Buster Busts Loose I played last year, was either in here or recommended in here.  Axelay is one I've always wanted to check out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mystical Ninja is a great call. I can remember picking it up in a 2 for 1 deal in the Virgin Megastore. I got it with Namco Smash Tennis which was the game I was after (for a multi-tap alternative to Super Tennis ) but Mystical Ninja just blew me away with its unexpected brilliance.

If you are on a Konami spree - also look out for Pop N Twinbee Rainbow Bell adventures which is a very nice platformer/maze effort. Also try out Prince of Persia which has a really lovely Arabian Nights soundtrack and a pile of new levels added just for the SNES.
  • Just checking a list of Konami games, because I knew there were loads I'd forgotten.

Cybernator is another great one, Zombies is worth a go, and Turtles in Time is decent. And we could also revisit the original ISS, to see how that's aged.
  • Just to be pedantic again about devs and pubs, as I tend to be, don't think Cybernator (NCS Masiya??) or Zombies (LucasArts???) were strictly Konami games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's right. Konami also published a Pop n Twinbee vertical shooter game. It's excellent but I don't think they developed it.

Maybe we should continue the score attack theme and pick something next that suits?
  • Nah, I think Pop n Twinbee is them. They possibly some games under the Palcom name I think, but Wiikipedia says PnT wasn't one of them. Wikipedia also tells me that Palcom was a subsidiary established to get round some silly Nintendo rules for NES. Or something.
  • Any excuse will do to play great games with a Konami logo on them, regardless of who made them.
  • davyK wrote:
    also look out for Pop N Twinbee Rainbow Bell adventures which is a very nice platformer/maze effort.

I remember writing this down from a decent list of underrated SNES games I found online a couple of years ago (along with Hagane, which I still haven't played). If emulation fails me, as it often does with SNES games, Rainbow Bell has recently been released on the Wii U Eshop, I believe.

I'm gonna plug away at a fair few games, but if there's a specific Konami game anyone can think of that we can score attack I'll focus on that.
  • I'm not sure there's anything that really stands out as a score attack game. Contra 3 maybe? Pop 'n' Twinbee?

If I get round to it I should probably try Sunset Riders, since that's one of the few I never played back then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Nah, I think Pop n Twinbee is them. They possibly some games under the Palcom name I think, but Wiikipedia says PnT wasn't one of them. Wikipedia also tells me that Palcom was a subsidiary established to get round some silly Nintendo rules for NES. Or something.

Makes sense. Pop n Twinbee felt very Konami-ish. Would make for a decent score attack game. Contra/Probotector would too.

Just thought of a good one. The 1st Parodius game has an omake or lollipop (named depending on which version you are playing) stage. It's a special score attack level - anyone fancy having a go at that?

• I'm gonna play Gradius V. Devved by Treasure who started off from Konami anyway, and it's a Konami IP.

I just need to get my PS2 down from the loft.

Obviously this will not happen cos time issues innit
  • Ach, I remember that stage from Super Parodius!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!