Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have recorded the best so far - only 200-odd though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Balls. Knocked out in the semi-final to one of our interns who went on to win the final (who clearly adjusted from FIFA) AND get the award for most beautiful goal.

I went out on penalties. I was able to save his attempts due to my elder-statesman mind games - but wasn't able to direct my kicks - kept hitting it straight at the keeper.

Never mind. France won our world cup - beating Belgium 1-0 in the final.
  • i shall be firing up Emlyn hughes this evening...

other 'classic' footy games i loved in them days, matchday2 on the speccy, and another game called 'superstar soccer' i think that game in one of those big compilation packs.

and super soccer on the snes had lovely after-touch, just so long as you were shooting away from the camera and not towards it
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • this is an old game....there's only 10 teams and they bothered to include Scotland! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Maybe there were only ten countries back in the old days?
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I think I'll boot this up tonight. Might give Champions of Europe on the Master System a reappraisal too - I can't think of a game that had such wildly differing review scores in mags - 17% to 91%.
  • GENESIS--Vectorman_Oct3%2015_32_57.png
    Spoiler:

Been thinking about bringing this back, my retro gaming has crept up again recently. 

This is what we had as our pool of games, ignore the dates:

C64 Week - (23/06)
    Blackthorne - Various (30/06)
    Solstice - SNES (14/07)
    Derivative Platformer Fortnight - Various (28/07)
    R-Type III - SNES (11/08)
    Kirby Fortnight - Various (18/08)
    Wonderboy Fortnight - Various (01/09)
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive (15/09)
    Wildcard Week (29/09)
    Pilotwings Fortnight - Various (13/10)
    Prince of Persia - Various (27/10)
    Pinball Week - Various (10/11)
    Wildcard Week - Master System (17/11)
    Obscure NES Month Returns, 5 Games - (24/11)

Looking at the list, do potential participants want to stick to these or vote some out/in?  There's no point in having a game on the list if it's just me slogging away at it.  I'm happy to play anything up there, but I'm also happy to add stuff as requested or weed out unwanted games. 

What I was thinking for the revival is that instead of setting a fixed timeframe per game, I'll just leave it running until there's been no movement for a while, then push on.  My frenzied game or two a week phase is over, so if a popular game runs for a month it's no biggie, and if there's very little interest in a title I'll switch it. 

Or we could do a nominations thing, where someone nominates the next person, and they pick a game/write the blurb (my write-ups became increasingly lacklustre, I know).  I'm fine with whatever, but I'm ready to get back in the saddle.
  • I'm up for this, since my reserve of current games is running dry again. I'm happy to go with the flow, and perhaps just throw in the odd suggestion here and there. A lot of that list looks good still, but I probably won't go outside NES/SNES/MS/MD in terms of formats.
  • If I've got the game then I'll be in like Eroll. My wife has put an embargo on my game purchasing. Too many parcels coming through the letter box apparently.
  • Put forward some games you've got Eric, will slip 'em in.  I quite fancy giving Comix Zone a proper go - every time I've played it I've been floored by the graphics but put off by the difficulty.  Would be a good one to smash through with save states, I don't think I've seen past level two.
  • Will do. I'll get a list together.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't mind what the list is (what we have looks to be a fine list - no problem if it changes though). Like Eric, I tend to restrict myself to what I have. Have gone off emulation for some reason but that's probably to do with not having a suitable device other than a PC.

Happy enough to use an official emulation pack for a console though.
  • I'm always ready, think I was probably one of the more active posters in this thread bar yourself moot.

Like @JonB though 90% of what I play will be the classic Nintendo/Sega 8/16Bit stuff although I am interested in broadening my knowledge of the PC Engine. I'm still very tempted to pick one up off eBay.

I think the way you did it originally was a good way to pick games. The only problem was planning out to far ahead. The list above for example I'd only be up for 3-4 of them and that covers a 6 month period. There was little point in someone requesting a game only for it not to come up for another 8 months.

I like the idea of going with the flow and keeping it rolling but I think we need some degree or organisation. Maybe 2 months worth of fixtures with 2 weeks per game?

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Can't believe you deleted the OP. How will we know what we've already played??
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Would anyone be up for giving cyborg justice a spin? I remember it was an interesting game, probably a bit too ambitious for the time.

I dont think it will hold anyone's attention for too long so it may be worth bundling in with some other things.
  • I had that game and it was a hoot! You could basically design a robot from some stock parts and cut other robots limbs off in some far off desolate planet. I remember a circular saw arm part and that's about it. (Off to Youtube)
  • It actually looks ok still! I don't remember it being a scrolling beat em up though!
  • Can't believe you deleted the OP. How will we know what we've already played??

Don't panic, I posted it in the thread somewhere, and saved it on my desktop. 

I rented Cyborg Justice once.  Was decent, but perhaps the 90% scores were a bit high.  Novotrade wasn't it?  Was no Ecco, anyway.  I'm happy to play it again.
  • I do remember Cyborg Justice now we come to mention it. Had completely forgotten about it before. I may have even owned it. I'm pretty sure it was a bit disappointing in the end - probably a little too bland and repetitive.
  • Yeah, it was a great idea but it lacked polish. Close but no cigar.
    Could anyone suggest any other games that were mechanically ambitious but didn't quite live up to the promise? It could make an interesting theme to try out.
  • Could anyone suggest any other games that were mechanically ambitious but didn't quite live up to the promise?
    That should be written on Peter Molyneux's grave stone.
  • JonB wrote:
    Could anyone suggest any other games that were mechanically ambitious but didn't quite live up to the promise?
    That should be written on Peter Molyneux's grave stone.

Brilliant!!!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Can't believe you deleted the OP. How will we know what we've already played??

Nice. Whack it somewhere on the first page when you get around to it please.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Haunting Starring Polterguy springs to mind. Certain parts of it were a real chore, but it was a neat idea.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Can't believe you deleted the OP. How will we know what we've already played??

Nice. Whack it somewhere on the first page when you get around to it please.

Try to remind me in a bit, I'll do it at lunch. I fancy taking a look at it myself.
  • Full business - all previous games:

Week one (03/09): Ristar (Megadrive)
    Week two (10/09): Sunset Riders (Arcade, SNES, Megadrive)
    Week (fortnight) three (17/09): James pond 2: Robocod (various)
    Week four (01/10): Castlevania: Bloodlines (Megadrive).
    Week five (08/10): Duck Tales (NES)
    Week six (15/10): Strider (Arcade, Megadrive)
    Week seven (22/10): Plok (SNES)
    Week eight (29/10): *Play Your Illusion* (take your pick from Sega's excellent Illusion series)
    Week nine (05/11): Snake, Rattle 'N Roll (NES)
    Week ten (12/11): Flashback (Amiga, Megadrive, SNES)
    Week eleven (19/11): Gynoug (Megadrive)
    Week twelve (26/11): Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose (SNES)
    Week thirteen (03/12): Super Aleste (SNES)
    Week fourteen (10/12): Back to the Future III (Megadrive)
    Week fifteen (17/12): Sub-Terrania (Megadrive)
    Week sixteen (24/12): Christmas break
    Week seventeen (31/12): UN Squadron (SNES)
    Week eighteen (14/01): Zero Tolerance (Megadrive)
    Week nineteen (21/01): Out To Lunch (SNES, Amiga)
    Week twenty (28/01): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine, Virtual Console)
    Week twenty one (04/02): Rocket Knight Adventures (Megadrive)
    Week twenty two (11/02): Star Parodier (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty three (18/02): Legendary Axe (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Fortnight twenty four (04/03): Atari 2600 week
    Fortnight twenty five (18/03): Cybernator (SNES)
    Fortnight twenty six (01/04): Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3 LOCK-ON! (Megadrive)
    Twenty seven (15/04): Yoshi's Island (SNES, GBA, Downloads)
    Twenty eight (29/04, fortnight): Midnight Resistance (arcade, Megadrive, Amiga etc)
    (13/05, fortnight): Super Metroid (SNES, VC, eshop)
    (27/05, week): Rub Your Own Rhubarb: free choice Retro Batman week
    (03/06, week): Battletoads (NES)
    (10/06, week): Budget Master System Week - Action Fighter, Teddy Boy and The Ninja
    (17/06, week): Toki (various)
    (01/07, fortnight): Castlevania IV (SNES)
    (15/07. fortnight): Free choice Parodius
    (29/07, week): Scrolling Beat 'em up free choice
    (05/08, fortnight): El Viento (Megadrive)
    (19/08, fortnight): Yoshi's Story (N64)
    (02/09, week): Rollergames (NES)
    (09/09, fortnight): Actraiser (SNES, VC)
    (23/09, fortnight): Grand Theft Auto (PS, PC)
    (07/10, week): New Zealand story (various)
    (14/10, week): Bitmap Bros free choice (21/10, week)
    Vectorman (MD, compilations)
    Fantasy Zone Free Choice - Various (03/03)
    Super Punch-Out! - SNES (10/03)
    Jurassic Park Free Choice - Various (24/03)
    Atari 2600 High Score Week Returns (31/03)
    The Firemen - SNES (07/04)
    Powerdrive - Various (21/04)
    Obscure NES Month, 5 games (05/05)
    Wildcard Week (02/06)
    Cool Spot - Various (09/06)
  • Legend!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Are we starting with a C64 week then?
  • I'd prefer not to start with C64 week because I've only got one device set up for it and I've lent it to someone.

Can I nominate you to pick something either from the list, or your own choice from NES/MS/MD/SNES favourites Davy?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was kind of hoping you would say that as I have no love of the C64. I admire it but as I didn't have one nor spent much time on it , it doesn't really hold much currency with me.

I'd be game for Blackthorne as I have the cart but have never played it after booting it up to check it was working - and I guess as SNES is easy to emulate it's as good a place as any to start. But its Flashback / Another World style might not be to folks' taste to get things going?

blackthorne2.png

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!