オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Indeed....this scraped into Super Play's top 100 though. A retrospective of that would probably see it ditched.

It's nicely done - just the portions are too big and samey.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I went back to thuis, just to get to the bonus level and hear the music again.

The game just doesn't click with me though, to the point where finishing it with save states would've been too much of a chore to bother with.  I remember finishing it when I borrowed it as a kid (I may have owned it briefly, come to think of it), but those early Dave Perry games always had the ABBAABBA type cheats, so there's a chance I level skipped. 

For next week, which is listed as a Wildcard Week, assuming anyone's up for it, how about trying a game that passed you by completely that everyone raves about?  Retro can do Story of Thor, I can plough ahead with Metroid (maybe chuck something like Mickey's Magical Quest or Warioland 4 on GBA in there too, neither of which I've played for more than a few minutes).  Perhaps other participants have something in mind that they feel they should have played, or would be open to suggestions?
  • For dip in/drop out Sega games, I think it would be a shame for people not to have played:

The (definitive) Master System version of Castle of Illusion.
    Asterix (Master System)
    Wonderboy in Monsterland (MS port)
    Toejam & Earl 2: Panic on Funkatron (MD).
    Shadow Dancer (Megadrive port)
    Magical Hat Turbo Adventure (MD)
    Pulseman (MD - I first played this a couple of years ago, almost passed me by)
    Dynamite Headdy (MD).

I also think the Master System version of Ghouls n Ghosts doesn't get the credit it deserves, because it adds a lot to the basic game (permanent speed boosts as you progress, etc).
  • I'm in this week as I have got Dynamite Headdy waiting for me, never been touched.

Looking forward to writing it up
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • You're in for a treat.  Treasure's finest 16-bit game, imo.

Edit: I should probably try Alien Soldier again.  I've sat down to it three or four times, I just don't seem to get on with it.
  • I'm in, will be doing Story of Thor
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gunstar Heroes for me.
  • In terms of mechanics, I'd say Thor has probably aged better than any 16-bit action RPG.  The fighting is very good.  My only complaint at the time was that it was too short compared to similar games, but as far as I'm concerned that's a tick in the plus column for a modern playthrough.  24 megs of goodness, Yuzo Koshiro score (not his best, but some of it is good - I think he produced the game too, but I'm not 100%), and also one of the best looking Megadrive games.
  • davyK wrote:
    Gunstar Heroes for me.

Treasure's best 16-bit effort or a game you missed?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Game I missed - never played it past level 1 or 2. It's quite short I believe? Think Edge criticised it for that.

Isn't there a wee board game level in it somewhere - love things like that.
  • The board game is really well done. I'd be tempted to play the GBA game, but last time I checked the shoebox it was missing, and I can't remember if I found it or not.  If I check and it's not there I'll be fixating on that all evening.
  • Gunstar Heroes is one, if not my favourite game of all time. Simple mechanics, glorious art direction / graphical execution and in two player its a real blast. Its not too tough either which is graciously appreciated in my older age!
  • Well I got nowhere on Metroid this week.  Anyone have more luck than me with their choices?  It's supposed to be C64 fortnight from today, but I'm sensing another hiatus is needed.  All those in favour say aye, I'll just shift the proposed dates back a month or so, which currently stand as:

C64 Week - (23/06)
    Blackthorne - Various (30/06)
    Solstice - SNES (14/07)
    Derivative Platformer Fortnight - Various (28/07)
    R-Type III - SNES (11/08)
    Kirby Fortnight - Various (18/08)
    Wonderboy Fortnight - Various (01/09)
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive (15/09)
    Wildcard Week (29/09)
    Pilotwings Fortnight - Various (13/10)
    Prince of Persia - Various (27/10)
    Pinball Week - Various (10/11)
    Wildcard Week - Master System (17/11)
    Obscure NES Month Returns, 5 Games - (24/11)

My daughter is due in five weeks, so it feels like I haven't had a lot of time to do anything recently.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - might be good to have a summer break.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'd be tempted to play the GBA game, but last time I checked the shoebox it was missing, and I can't remember if I found it or not.  If I check and it's not there I'll be fixating on that all evening.

A mate at work randomly presented me with this today (along with the underrated Lady Sia), I forgot I lent it out. Mild panic over.
  • C64 Week should become C64 Emlyn Hughes International Soccer World Cup Final extravaganza!:P http://www.ehis64.net/downloads.php
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Will change the thread title accordingly. We should have thought of this anyway tbh - World Cup Italia '90, World Cup USA 94 etc.
  • Damn, that would have been a good idea. There was a wealth of Footy games back in the day.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm not sure what my opinion on retro football games is.  I was going to post that simplistic guff like World Cup Italia '90 has probably aged better than something released later that wasn't quite as bad, like European Club Soccer, but I'm going from memory/guesswork here.  I certainly thought the latter was better than the former in 1992.  Part of me thinks the Emlyn Hughes game above would be more fun as a head-to-head game in 2014 than Fifa '96.  The middle ground was a slow old plod for footie games, and they took a backward step when 32-bit consoles arrived.  Actua Soccer....surely that's abysmal now?
  • This was a cracking game though, to quote Peter, with possibly the best cheat code ever (full real-name commentary):

The double arrow for free-kicks was great.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The middle ground was a slow old plod for footie games, and they took a backward step when 32-bit consoles arrived.  Actua Soccer....surely that's abysmal now?
    I was thinking that. It was pretty awful then but we were trying to convince ourselves it was the future. It took a good while for anything to catch up to ISS on SNES. Even that would probably seem a bit odd now, but it was so much closer to football than anything else of the time.
  • Fifa 98 was the first good 3d football game.
  • For a while European Club Soccer was my only Mega Drive game.

I remember the cheat threeshreddedwheat enabled the players to smash goals from anywhere and made it much more playable.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Actua Soccer 2 was great!

It had lots of available aftertouch, as all football games should. Until someone codes an elegant aiming system, exaggerated aftertouch is the best way to get the flight you want.

I've always wanted a five-a-side street game where you perma-control one player in 3D from above and behind. Move with one stick and aim with the other. Left trigger (faster equals more power) for left foot...

Uncharted 2 with a football instead of guns.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never played these much. Played something on the Master System - may well have been Italia '90 and messed about with ISS Deluxe on SNES. Currently in the middle of a tourney in work using Virtua Soccer 2002 for GC.

• Aftertouch was an all-important feature in those top down beauts. Does it exist, to any degree, in modern football games? There's a finesse shot in Fifa but I'm not sure if you bend the flight of the ball manually. Roberto Carlos' nonsensical free kick proves videogames should let you swerve it out then in.

I'd like to see a Fever Pitch esque multiplayer XBLA game, but would happily crowdfund any of Escape's brainchildren.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Another session in our office Virtua Striker 3 tourney today.

The young guns raised on 360/PS3 FIFA are having difficulties with its arcade sensibilities. You have no time on the ball at all and it can be frustrating....too easy to send the ball over the net too when shooting.
  • I had a go on it the other night, its so frustrating but still compelling!

I would love to see your tournaments Goal of the Day followed by that tasteful rainbow trail if you manage to record it!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!