Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm finding the bloke in the Zenon II shop rather rude.  I also didn't realise your energy doesn't replenish in between levels, so I'm currently all tooled up with just a slither of health.

I seem to remember that game being rock hard, actually.

Going back and playing my favourite 16-bit games has just emphasized how far my skills have fallen (or how easy modern games are). I used to be able to one life Turrican and blitz through The Chaos Engine with barely a problem. Let's just say this is no longer the case...
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a go on Chaos Engine (SNES) last night. Jesus it is tough - I was foolhardy enough to use my old passwords and try World 4- even powered up I lasted only a few mins. Enemies have a habit of warping in right at the edge of screen so progress needs to be slow and steady.

SNES owner note: I'm playing the PAL version on my modded SNES at 60Hz. At 50Hz the borders are huge but it doesn't play noticebly slower (maybe a bit). Makes me think this might have got a bit of speed optimisation - but the borders are horrendous. I noticed when playing at 60Hz there was the odd glitch when you shoot a part of the level that changes the layout - noticed this in level 4-1 where you shoot a switch to alter the flow of sewage to open up paths. The graphics glitch a bit during the transition. Perhaps evidence that the game was optimised for PAL to some extent.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Would anyone like to volunteer/do me a favour and write/post the blurb for the Megaman Free Choice fortnight starting on 28/10 (Vectorman starts tomorrow)?  Apart from not knowing a great deal about the franchise I'll also be off honeymooning in Malta for the first week.  I'll update the OP when I get back. 

Been playing Gods a bit, and it's better than I thought it would be.  I'm not sure why I'd always assumed it might be average, but there's a fair bit to it and with a bit of patience everything works well.  I get the impression it's a much more solid conversion than Xenon II.  Will probably do a few more levels this evening.
  • Ooh Malta,nice. I got married there last year. Loved it.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • I've only been abroad abroad on holiday once, when I was twelve (two school battlefields trips to Ypres don't really count).  Malta was the destination then too.  The Popeye Village, the Blue Lagoon, bus drivers who didn't pass the Formula 1 entrance exam etc, brilliaaaant.

Edit: And a soft drink called Kinney/Kinny.  I hope they still have that.
  • Bitmap Bros, gotta be Xenon2.
    I remember that game being insanely hard.
    Gigantic bosses and lovely graphics tho.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Without save states I would've been lucky to see level three.
  • Think I'm going for the MD version as I don't have an amiga emu at the ready.
    Wish me luck!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Good luck.  Don't go right at the first multi-path section.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd volunteer only I'm not really a mega-man head - only one I have is no. 10 on WiiWare.

Have fun at the wedding - the day will fly by so be sure to soak it up .
  • I found gods slow and clunky. Had it on the a500.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Would anyone like to volunteer/do me a favour and write/post the blurb for the Megaman Free Choice fortnight starting on 28/10 (Vectorman starts tomorrow)?  Apart from not knowing a great deal about the franchise I'll also be off honeymooning in Malta for the first week.  I'll update the OP when I get back.
    Yeah, I'll do it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I found gods slow and clunky. Had it on the a500.

It's a lot quicker on MD and SNES.
  • Hmmm
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • JonB wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Would anyone like to volunteer/do me a favour and write/post the blurb for the Megaman Free Choice fortnight starting on 28/10 (Vectorman starts tomorrow)?  Apart from not knowing a great deal about the franchise I'll also be off honeymooning in Malta for the first week.  I'll update the OP when I get back.
    Yeah, I'll do it.

Thanks.  I plan to play Megaman 2 on a beach whilst smoking foreign ciggies.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Try to find the text if you can Jaco, I'd be interested in giving it a read.

Ah, poop. Text for this one seems to be lost in the mists of time. Sorry.Still got a Psygnosis retrospective and a Team17 one from the Play.d era, but the Bitmap Brothers one is well and truly gone. (Unless someone still has PDF copies of Play.d issues 1-4? I have 5 onwards, but seems to have lost the files for the first 4 issues.)
  • I've been enjoying Speedball 2 Evolution, although I'd love the option to revert to ST graphics and one button control.  I also yearn for the old intro, which I used to watch every time I started the game up, just for the music.

I've also been playing a little bit of The Chaos Engine, which I used to drool over in magazines, but never played until last week. It plays pretty much as I expected, and stands up better than a lot of games of the time. It's an odd thing where going back to these old games sometimes sours the memory, but I think with Speedball 2 my nostalgic feelings have helped, because it's such a strong game. With The Chaos Engine, though, I don't have nostalgia beyond screenshots in magazines, so I'm not feeling the same way about it, despite its obvious strengths.
  • Aye, Brutal Deluxe was a cracking game. Really does hold up well, even now. Loop-de-loop score multipliers really should have caught on more than they did. Ah, memories.

Also, I you mean Amiga graphics, natch...

*Braces self for renewing 23 year old school playground arguments*
  • I would say something about MIDI, but by the time I finished saying Atari ST 520 FM with 1 megabyte of RAM, you'd've kicked me in the shins and run off.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    by the time I finished saying Atari ST 520 FM with 1 megabyte of RAM, you'd've kicked me in the shins and run off.

No, no, not at all.

I'd just say "Amiga 1200 with '040 upgrade and 8Mb RAM".

Okay, then I might kick you in the shins and run off. But only then.
  • In that case I'd cry and you'd feel better about yourself but it would be false and empty and fleeting and throughout your life you'd feel pangs of guilt and wish you could go back and stop all the kids from picking on the kid because of material things, and everyone would play together.
  • No... No, I'm not sure I would.

Also C64>ZX/CPC.

Aaand fight.
  • Have you opened your old file on me?

My Spectrum's rubber keys deflected all criticism back in your face.
  • Turrican, CREATURES and Uridium just beat you the hell down.

This is awesome. It's 1988 all over again.
  • I had Turrican on my ST.  And a demo of Creatures, I think.  Maybe not.  Was uridium what my mum put on my verrucas?
  • I do hope not. It's quite rare now :(
  • Forty three (week): Vectorman (Megadrive, various compilations)

Just a week for this one, rather than the usual fortnight for 16-bit titles, condensed due to Megaman taking priority.

Considered by many Sega fans in 1995 to be the Megadrive's answer to Donkey Kong Country - in terms of graphical style for bragging rights rather than any gameplay similarities - this run-and-gun 16-bit showpiece was well received by critics. It used pre-rendered 3D models in its level and character designs, and although this style (arguably) dated pretty quickly, it definitely had the wow factor at the time, although it's certainly more sparse looking than DKC.

Developed by Blue Sky (developers of the imo pretty piss-poor MD Jurassic Park title), there was a fair amount of buzz surrounding this title for those still enjoying their ageing 16-bit consoles. Diehard Gamefan, my American publication of choice, were particularly enamoured with it (in hindsight they did tend to go potty over everything).

You control Vectorman, and orbot who takes it upon himself to destroy the sentient nuke/machine hybrid called Warhead and save planet Earth.

hqdefault.jpg

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

(28/10, fortnight): Free choice Megaman
    (11/11, week): PC Kid 2/Bonk 2 (PC Engine, VC)
    (18/11, week): Wonderboy week
    (25/11, week): Kirby week

(02/12, fortnight): Solstice II/Equinox (SNES)
    (16/12, week): Fantasy Zone (MS)
    (23/12, fortnight inc. Christmas break): Pinball free choice
    (06/01, fortnight): Blackthorne (various)
    (20/01, week): Pilotwings Week (various)
    (27/01, week): Atari 2600 High-Score Challenge Returns
  • Jaco wrote:
    Try to find the text if you can Jaco, I'd be interested in giving it a read.
    Ah, poop. Text for this one seems to be lost in the mists of time. Sorry.Still got a Psygnosis retrospective and a Team17 one from the Play.d era, but the Bitmap Brothers one is well and truly gone. (Unless someone still has PDF copies of Play.d issues 1-4? I have 5 onwards, but seems to have lost the files for the first 4 issues.)

No probs.  I'd quite fancy a Psygnosis week next year, so if you don't mind we could use your retrospective as the blurb. 

I played a bit of Speedball 2 today (MD ROM again), before moving onto Vectorman (which I'm quite keen on so far).  It was one of the 11 games that came free with our 486SX PC, and I could never get it to work with our joytick.  The music from the intro Adkm posted above definitely brings back memories, although mainly of fiddling around with the keys.  I also used to play on on my mate's Amiga, but I think it's fair to say that I never worked out its intricacies.  A great game, I'm sure, just not one I ever got into past the odd frenzied two player session.
  • I've spent a lot of today playing.  My next challenge is to score 500+ points and not concede in a game.  I've gotten the 500 points several times, but in one game the opposition hit the 2 point come with about 4 seconds to go.  I think once I've maxed out the whole team's stats, I might just make it.
  • Maxing out the stats? You're putting my efforts to shame this week, I only managed to put around an hour in across four titles.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!