Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • I love the soundtrack. Specially the ending music.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK wrote:
    Fuck me - I'm finding YI hard - trying to 100pt level 2-5 and I'm making a right pig's arse of it. It's a tricky task and requires a fair amount of finesse.

It's one of those levels with destructible floors are you are pestered by Lakitu as well - not so much of a challenge to get to the end - but it's a royal pain in the arse trying to collect everything.

It looks great - I have the PAL version but I've switched my SNES to 60Hz and it looks great on my 32" LCD with an s-video connection. Glorious looking and sounding game.

That there sums up the best of Nintendo to me. Pretty much any gamer could complete their games but to 100% them can take some serious skill. The NSMB series is a good modern example with the 3 coins.

I've just finished world 2 with 100pts on all the levels so far. It started getting tough around 2-4 for me. Doubt I'll be able to 100pt the game like I did in '96 but I'm gonna give it a good go. This got me thinking how some of my CoD generation friends/family would cope with this game.

Regarding your set up @davyK I was wondering if you could help/advise...

I have 2 US SNES units, an original with RGB output and a mini which only has composite. When I connect the original via RGB the image jumps every minute or so but either system via composite doesn't. I want to connect with the RGB for better pic quality but I can't stand the jumping. Any advice?

Edit: This is connecting them to a 37" HD TV
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fun fact - Twisted Edge Snowboarding for N64 allegedly sold for £29.99 when it came out
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Fun fact - Twisted Edge Snowboarding for N64 allegedly sold for £29.99 when it came out

Got a receipt?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • moot can I make a suggestion...

Can you make Super Metroid Fortnight twenty nine and knock everything down one on the schedule?

Reason I ask is that it's the Wii U 30p game from 16th May to 13th June. Will be a good incentive for all of us to play and might get a few more people involved in the thread.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • @Retro

So glad you enjoyed Sonic 3 +K.

Really they are one of my true, great gaming memories and show what Sonic can be. I urge anyone that enjoyed those MD games to atleast give Sonic Generations a go, for me it is the best Sonic since the MD. The Dreamcast games had some nice touchs but Generations emulate those too without the hub world bollocks that never worked.
  • Cheers, was an excellent game. Just need to get round to Ristar now.

I played Sonic Colors on Wii with moot a couple of years back, he actually bought Generations with the intentions of us playing through it but from the videos we saw it looked a bit too similar to Colors to play straight after, so we thought we'd give it a bit of time before doing it.

Did you play Colors at all? We enjoyed it overall, it's my fav 3D one but I think moot still prefered Adventure on DC.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I didn't play colors (urrgh spelling so wrong lol) heard it is good though. Generations has a Colors level set that is actually really nice to play.

The only weak section of Gen is based around one of this gen's games, I think it was the one named just "Sonic the hedgehog", even re-imagined and in a decent engine it was shit.

Chemical plant is absolutely fantastic.
  • I think I'm ready for Generations. Colours was good but not great, definitely one of the better recent efforts though.

I'm up for the Super Metroid idea, I'll definitely pick it up for 30p. There was talk of doing it in the Book club thread though, so I'll need a Reg seal of approval.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Regarding your set up @davyK I was wondering if you could help/advise...

I have 2 US SNES units, an original with RGB output and a mini which only has composite. When I connect the original via RGB the image jumps every minute or so but either system via composite doesn't. I want to connect with the RGB for better pic quality but I can't stand the jumping. Any advice?

Edit: This is connecting them to a 37" HD TV

If you were using an older TV I'd say it was an issue with that - but you aren't. I have had that problem when using an NTSC source on older TV's.

Maybe you could go into the TV's setup and see what's there re whatever input you are using. You need to make sure the input supports RGB. Sometimes if something is set to auto it can cause issues if the signal isn't dead on spec to what the TV is expecting. You might also look to see if there's a game mode which disables all sorts of image processing that could be causing the problem.

I'm unsure about the SNES and RGB out - not sure if the PAL machine outputs an RGB signal - but maybe the NTSC models you have do.... Nintendo like to revise specs of their consoles and tend to drop features as they do it in order to lower costs - so even similar looking models will give different results.

if you can get an s-video cable that might be worth a try - you get a picture that is really close in quality - I can count the pixels with my setup.

Re the PAL version of YI - switching to 60Hz gives me full screen but the music doesn't speed up - so it must be coded to synch with a timer and not the frame rate which is nice.

My SNES has the region lockout disabled but I get the boot up lockout message if I power up with the 60Hz mode switched on - quite a common thing with later games. You just have to reset or powerup in 50Hz and then flip to 60Hz once the game boots up. It's odd that the music speed is region compatible but it seems there was no speed optimisation (at least going by speed run forums).
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Thanks for the reply, I'll have a look at it all later.

PAL systems never used RGB and it was only the older brick NTSC ones in the US that did. Like you said the SNES mini dropped features just like the NES top loader to lower costs.

My TV doesn't have S-Video, this is very annoying as I have an S-Video cable for my N64 and like the SNES the N64 didn't support RBG.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not having an s-video DIN connector may not be a problem - I take it you are using SCART? That can be set to s-video in some TVs - if it isn't in the menu then look for a switch near the SCART socket.

Not many TVs have a DIN socket now (mine doesn't) - but you can use a DIN-to-SCART converter. I use one with my SNES s-video cable on my TV - so you could try setting it to that if you can't get it to settle with RGB.

13342-1296227089-scart.jpg

This isn't the exact model I have - I got mine in Maplins and it works a treat - and like the one pictured it has a handy switch for converting the other way - should the need arise. The one I got in Maplins also has a pass-through for plugging in a SCART source as well - very handy.

Might be worth looking for any settings to do with PAL, SECAM and NTSC as well - might be worth seeing what happens if that is not set to AUTO though that is really to do with colour schemes.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I'm sitting in work with Yoshi's Island music in my head.

• Thanks for all of that, I will get the the bottom of the problem over the weekend at some point.

The music in YI is amazing, how far you got now?

How about you moot?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I've still got a save from back in the day when I completed it - so I'm trying to back fill those levels I didn't perfect. 2-5 , 2-7 and 2-8.

I may as well admit defeat and move onto world 3 and see what's there (probably all of the them!!)

• Haha, 2-5 was very tough, hardest of the first 2 worlds imo.

What you missing from it?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - got 96 in 2-5 and 2-7.....screwing up with the time/stars

• Just looking at my old save. I seem to have 100s on all the normal levels for the first 3 worlds, but not much at all for the bonus levels and only a smattering of 100s on world 4 to 6. Haven't actually started playing yet.
  • I haven't started the second world yet.  Didn't get a chance today.
  • The two things that make getting 100pts tough:

- Having to get eveything right in one attempt. Compare this to playing a NSMB game where you can accumulate the 3 secret coins over multiple playthroughs.

- Getting hit and losing star seconds.
    This is particularly tricky in the dungeon/end of world stages where you have to fight a boss. It's great though as it really adds extra tension to the battles.

Also those bloody flying shy guys with a red coin that fly off and make it unattainable.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Now I have the underground theme in my head.....

Started from scratch on a new file last night - is trickier than I remember generally. It might be because I'm playing the PAL version at 60Hz which might be overclocked if it was already speed optimised but I don't think it was....think it's me that's running at a lower clock speed now.

The castles are trickier than I remember.

Overall this is better than I remember it though - and my ever adjusting opinion on YI vs SMW is teetering back toward YI again - but I doubt I'll ever be able to separate them - they bookend the SNES's life beautifully.

I've said this before - but this really is Nintendo at their creative peak - this must have been worked on at the same time as early Mario64 development. Quite amazing.
  • Underground music is one of my favourites, if its the one I am thinking of. Slow and serene?
  • davyK wrote:
    and my ever adjusting opinion on YI vs SMW is teetering back toward YI again - but I doubt I'll ever be able to separate them - they bookend the SNES's life beautifully.

'Like'.

I'm starting to wonder whether I should bother getting the next gen machines, or just seriously sink my teeth into the thousands of games that passed me by in my youth that I'd probably prefer. I've got a Wii U, so I've got the essential Nintendo base covered, but apart from XBLA/downloadable games I think I could do without most retail games on the next Xbox/Playstation (and the one's I can't I could borrow or play round a mate's). I've got some thinking to do.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think I'm ready for Generations. Colours was good but not great, definitely one of the better recent efforts though.

I'm up for the Super Metroid idea, I'll definitely pick it up for 30p. There was talk of doing it in the Book club thread though, so I'll need a Reg seal of approval.

This is the only gaming retro thread that matters. Get it done.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm starting to wonder whether I should bother getting the next gen machines, or just seriously sink my teeth into the thousands of games that passed me by in my youth that I'd probably prefer.

That thought is always in my head. But I hardly ever follow it. The desire to have and play every decent game is too strong for me, however stupid it is specially given my very limited gaming time. So inevitbaly my backlog and list of games to play grows ever longer.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I feel the same - to the extent that I opted out this gen - only got a Wii. I just don't have the time that modern games demand and the multi-player - same room experience the Wii is great at has kept me happy,

I will get a 360 at some point for the shmups (particularly from Cave - I have actually bought a few in advance while the going was good) and the XBL stuff but that's it.

You know what? My gaming tastes are a bit like my music tastes - I have quiet a broad range of tastes but I've reached the point where I know what I like and I rarely buy much modern stuff. I have so many games (I have around 650) going back years that I'm at a point where I'll never finish what I have already. I have no real urge to upgrade because of graphics - from SNES onwards I've been happy in that dept (apart from the ugly bug ball that was early 3D), and modern genres such as first person shooters leave me tepid.

If something pops up I like the look of then I'll join in next gen - otherwise I'll stay with what I know and like.

hylian_elf wrote:
    Underground music is one of my favourites, if its the one I am thinking of. Slow and serene?

Yep - that's it. I like the wee miner characters in those levels holding their lanterns. I also like the lively ditty you get in the forced scrolling sections - its in the hit-fuzzy-get-dizzy level.
  • Managed to play Yoshi for half an hour. Spent all of it on 1-9, the first extra level. Damn those are hard. Finished it in the end with a score of 85. Great level design though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Jesus - that poochie level? Find that hard to complete never mind go for score.
  • davyK wrote:
    I have so many games (I have around 650) going back years that I'm at a point where I'll never finish what I have already. I have no real urge to upgrade because of graphics.

I'm the same with the graphics and have roughly the same amount of games as you. But like @hylian_elf I...
    hylian_elf wrote:
    desire to have and play every decent game, however stupid it is specially given my very limited gaming time. So inevitbaly my backlog and list of games to play grows ever longer.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was like that until this gen...but I've now become quite set in my ways. One of the reasons I cancelled my Edge sub was I just got depressed looking at games that involved running around in 3D environments - and that's all that seemed to be there - more a issue with the industry than with Edge.

Its hard to describe exactly the type of game I go for - it has to look a bit "Japanesey" and not be narrative led - and I also go for anything with a good local multi-player mode. If I like what I see I'll buy whatever I need to play it but I can't see that happening to be honest - hope I'm wrong.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!