Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    SMW - that over world map is a thing of beauty

That's true. Much of the atmosphere in that game could be found in the map.
    YI though. 

Where to start?
    mk64 wrote:
    yes, i remember egg firing and it being a bit fiddly no?

It almost put me off the game when I first saw it, and did take a while to get used to.
    But when you do...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Fortnight twenty seven: Yoshi's Island (SNES, GBA, various downloads)

Ladies and gentlemen.....welcome to the zenith of 2D platforming.  The upper echelons.  The top of the pile.  The peak of what was once the most popular genre in console gaming.  Although some may disagree that this is the very best platformer the world has ever seen, few will dispute its greatness; the plaudits are most certainly well deserved, and it would take a brave gamer to suggest otherwise online. 

Produced by Shigeru Miyamoto, and directed by Takashi Tezuka, Toshihiko Nakago, Shigefumi Hino and Hideki Konno, with music by Koji Kondo, this was released as a direct sequel to Super Mario World on the SNES.  The twist being that this is a prequel to all previous Mario games, and the player has direct control of Yoshi rather than the eponymous plumber, who sits on the dinosaur's back in the form of a (mostly) helpless infant.  If Yoshi is struck by an enemy or obstacle, baby Mario will float around in a bubble which must be popped before the timer reaches zero, or a player life is lost.  Instant death hazards also exist, so be cautious.  Unlike the adult Mario in other titles, Yoshi has the ability to flutter jump, enabling him to cross wider gaps (much like a more advanced version of Peach's hover move in Super Mario Bros 2/Super Mario USA), and possesses the ability to fire eggs in multiple directions that really separates this from conventional platformers.  In certain areas, a Starman pick-up can be collected, which switches player control to Super Baby Mario, who in this guise is invincible, has the ability to run up walls and across ceilings, and can glide with his cape. 

Obviously, there's more to the mechanics than this, but just as obviously, Nintendo worked miracles with the level design in order to exploit every nuance of the control scheme.  Those who have played it, stop grinning and pick up a pad.  Those who haven't played it....I'm actually envious of the fun you're about to have.  Good luck!

YoshisIsland_1.jpg

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

Fortnight twenty eight: (29/04): Midnight Resistance (arcade, Megadrive, Amiga etc)
    Fortnight twenty nine (13/05): Rub you own Rhubarb: Retro Batman week (various)
    Week thirty (20/05): Action Fighter, Teddy Boy and The Ninja (Master System)
    Week thirty one (27/05): Battletoads (NES)
    Fortnight thirty two (03/06): Toki (Arcade, Megadrive, Amiga)
    Fortnight thirty three (17/06): Castlevania IV (SNES)
    Week thirty four (24/06): Free choice Parodius (various)
    Fortnight thirty five (01/07): Scrolling beat 'em up free choice (various)
    Fortnight thirty six (15/07): El Viento (Megadrive)
    Fortnight thirty seven (29/07): Atari 2600 fortnight returns
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

That's true. Much of the atmosphere in that game could be found in the map.
    YI's though. 

You really think YI's map is better than SMW? The YI map is barely more than level select screen (albeit delivered with more charm and aplomb than most game devs can dream of)

The SMW map folds out like a peacock's tail and has SMW's multi-exit gameplay at its core.
  • I have the GBA version still I'll fire it up if I get the chance.

Don't think I've ever got all the stuff on it, unlike SMW - it's tougher in that respect, although not too tough just to complete.
  • I 100 Prevented the gba version of this back in the day. Pretty cool challenge. Also when you do finish the game (not sure if its just beating or 100percent) you get a number which tells you how many yoshi's you used. I think my first one was something like 2 or 3 hundred. Tried a 100percent 000 game but it seems a futile excersise because of two of the secret levels (one which involves that dog and another with skiing).

The game is fucking immense. Less of a solid platform game than super mario bros because of the fluttering mechanic but by golly the variety in this game is amazing. Every level is a clever idea and tight set piece with a treasurehunt twist (a bit like the philosophy which has carried to the galaxy games).

I think the main gripe about the game seems to be a lack of "secret exits" but I say who cares when each level is its own puzzle.

the bosses are also brilliant in this game. Its not hard to see the roots of super Mario galaxy embedded in the raven boss.

Would love a vc version of this to play the superior snes version (with the unsullied fuzzy level and more popping colours).
  • didn't get to play last night but definitely will tonight. 

How big is the game? Is it 96 levels+?

Also the fluttering thing was continued in that yoshi game for the original DS. Where you shot eggs at stars or something.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • 48 standard Levels and 12 unlockable levels
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    .....and SMW didn't have 96 levels - it had 96 level exits. Quite a few levels had two exits. SMW and YI are probably similar in size though you can get to the SMW finish completing less levels.

Yoshi's flutter jump was retained in Yoshi's Story and Mario Galaxy 2. It's a bit weird going back to SMW with his first appearance and not have the flutter jump.

The trickiest part about getting 100pts in a level is making sure you retain all the stars. You lose a star for each second it takes to get baby Mario back after taking a hit...it's the one part of the game that can be annoyingly tough.

• It is perfectly possible in some levels to have an infinite supply of stars though. If you hit an egg against a wall it changes colour if you catch the egg you keep the new colour egg (easier said than done). The first colour gives you a couple of coins when it hits a baddie, the maroon one gives you two stars.
  • Ah, Yoshi's Island. Can't argue with the sentiment that its the best 2D platformer out there.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Fantastic game. I remember buying this after hearing nothing about it beforehand - I just saw it sitting on a shelf in my local indie, and I shrieked "MARIO WORLD 2?!?!" to my brother.

I bought it, played it, loved every minute of it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was really stoked about this one when it was announced in Super Play or wherever I read about it first....got it day of release (£40 back then) and it had me in its vice-like grip until I completed it.

However getting to the finish isn't the end - scoring 100pts in each level in a world unlocks new levels - never got to sample all of those.

Control, graphics, music, level design in harmony - dare I say it - a work of art.

Isn't there a mini-game unlockable with each world? Are they 2 player? I think the melon seed spitting battle game might be...

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    davyK wrote:
      That's true. Much of the atmosphere in that game could be found in the map. YI's though. 
    You really think YI's map is better than SMW? The YI map is barely more than level select screen (albeit delivered with more charm and aplomb than most game devs can dream of) The SMW map folds out like a peacock's tail and has SMW's multi-exit gameplay at its core.

Sorry. No. Not the map. More about the game itself. See the "'s" in YI's as a typo.
  • I still have a sealed copy of the game that I rescued from Toys 'R Us for a fiver back in 1996. SMW too, but I opened up Zelda and Super Metroid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
      That's true. Much of the atmosphere in that game could be found in the map. YI's though. 
    You really think YI's map is better than SMW? The YI map is barely more than level select screen (albeit delivered with more charm and aplomb than most game devs can dream of) The SMW map folds out like a peacock's tail and has SMW's multi-exit gameplay at its core.

Sorry. No. Not the map. More about the game itself. See the "'s" in YI's as a typo.

ah - OK.

• hylian_elf wrote:
    I still have a sealed copy of the game that I rescued from Toys 'R Us for a fiver back in 1996. SMW too, but I opened up Zelda and Super Metroid.

Your lucky, I got mine in Aug 1996 for £49.99 from Woolworths
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just finished the first castle. The GB Micro is a thing of beauty; possibly the most wonderful console ever made.
  • It might have been slightly later, it was definitley when the Playstation took over the world and Toys 'R Us no longer were selling SNES games so they went in the literal bargain basket.

Only opened up Zelda and Super Metroid 'cos I played them again. I had previously sold the vast majority of my games to fund the Playstation purchase. Including Vampire's Kiss and Sunset Riders. :(
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Sunset Riders will have to go on Moot's list... 
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The GB Micro is a thing of beauty; possibly the most wonderful console ever made.

It has a certain ageless appeal to it*...  Wish I could find a place to buy games for it. Certainly on of the best examples of physical product design in a console. I mean, what else is there really? The PS3 perhaps? The Gamecube? Neo Geo? Outside of those, the rest have been cheap pieces of crap, that just so happened to host some quality software. 

*Like Moira Stewart... : P
  • Does anyone know before I start this , I've got this thru the ambassador thing on my 3DS , do the games save now ? As I'm sure I've read somewhere that they don't save and it was gonna be updated .
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • @ DynamiteReady - Ps3 a thing of beauty ? It's a fucking bread bin
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • They don't have save states and you have to save them in game and I guess it creates a virtual battery save as if it was the cartridge. It will save the game.
  • Sunset Riders will have to go on Moot's list... 

Already been done, way back in week 2.
    The PS3 perhaps? The Gamecube? Neo Geo?

Really? They're all horrible imo. Mega Drive mk1 and N64 are my personal favs, as far as handhelds go the PSP was super slick and the GBA clamshell design was great, made it tiny and protected the screen really well.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Sunset Riders will have to go on Moot's list... 
    Already been done, way back in week 2.

Ah...

The PS3 perhaps? The Gamecube? Neo Geo?
    Really? They're all horrible imo. Mega Drive mk1 and N64 are my personal favs, as far as handhelds go the PSP was super slick and the GBA clamshell design was great, made it tiny and protected the screen really well.

Were I to cite the original Megadrive, it would be a concession to fond memories of the console, and wouldn't at all be based on merit. Just comparing the Megadrive to the SNES exposes it a cheap and blocky wodge. And I'm not being a Nintard here... I was a big Sega owning fanboy back in the day.

The N64 was no better either, though the joypad might get some props (even though the thumb stick left that awful chalky residue in the socket, and degraded quickly). The Playstation 1 and the Dreamcast felt much more durable (reckon they looked better too, but I'm not going to argue a subjective case in this instance).

@Kernowgaz - PS3 "bread bin"? Ha! Maybe... And that crap Spiderman logo didn't help it either. Nice solid item though. The touch panel power button was a nice (*ahem*) touch too.
  • @dynamiteReady I'm talking purely on looks alone not durability etc.

But yeah, I'd agree the original PS and DC were nice, although I had 3 of the latter through faults. 3DO was also abother nice looking CD machine I think.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I still have a sealed copy of the game that I rescued from Toys 'R Us for a fiver back in 1996. SMW too, but I opened up Zelda and Super Metroid.

Your lucky, I got mine in Aug 1996 for £49.99 from Woolworths

Jesus - £50? Maybe that's what I paid for and can't remember - I got mine in Electronics Boutique on release day.

I paid £50 for a few SNES games - think I paid that for Buster Busts Loose....quite a few dropped to £40 after a while.
  • I vaguely remember SF2: Special Championship edition on the MD being £59.99 at launch, due to the 24 meg cart.  I think that's the most expensive game I've ever bought/been bought on release day.  Shocking really, my dad must have despised my hobby.  Virtua Racing was £69.99 (although I was smart enough to hold out for the 32X version.  Oh wait).
  • £64.99 for World Warrior on SNES was my most expensive.

N64 games were all £59.99 new (not sure how long for but 1997 at least). That is apart from Turok which was a whopping £69.99 and REQUIRED a memory card which were £14.99 I believe.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I paid £49.99 for OOT on release day so they either dropped by '98 or Gamestation were reasonably competitive.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!