Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • I'm up tomorrow.  I'm finding it extremely difficult to cull two of the potential three.  Watch this space.
  • Committed to Megadrive early on and couldn't decide between Twinkle Tale and The Adventures of Batman & Robin, so I've gone for neither in the end.

Toejam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

tumblr_n8z3x8GJxB1s7elebo1_400.gif

...which chucked out almost everything from the first game and turned it into a one-of-a-kind side scrolling round 'em up.  It's a game I'd reach for if I were to compile a list of underrated 16-bit games; the original is remembered, but the sequel was better (just).
  • Sequel is definitely better. I'll pop this on the Pi later so.
  • It's just as good as the first in co-op too, which is one of the reasons the series has achieved cult status imo.  I'd not seen rhythm minigames beforehand either, although I doubt it was a first.  It also contains a massive amount of secrets, and there's a lot more to it than follow-the-arrow.  It's also pretty lengthy for a MD platformer, but 45mins or so will definitely give the gist of what goes where.
  • I had this on the MD way back when. I liked it but don't remember it in great detail, which means I probably didn't play it as much as I could have.

Will certainly give it a go to at least jog the memory.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Always had an eye out for this one but never got around to playing it. Will give this one a go.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yep me too. Bypassed this in my MD days so looking forward to playing this, if I can get my Jxd battery charging issue resolved.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I gave it 10mins last night and didn't understand what was going on.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I gave it 10mins last night and didn't understand what was going on.

Find humans by following the red (orange?) arrow, which points to the nearest one.  When you've nabbed the lot, the arrow turns green and you can proceed to the rocketship to end the stage.  If you're not doing shit shift this week I'm up for co-op on Weds.
  • On nights until the 6th, maybe the week after?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Spent about half an hour doing the first couple of levels.

Still looks and sounds great, especially Earl's animation and the music, and is good fun. Such an oddity too - there's no other platform game like it. Great for just mucking about.

But it's a weird one in that, just like when I owned it in the first place, I never felt compelled to keep coming back. Perhaps it's the sedate pace, or the lack of conventional challenge (at least in the early levels), or that the rewards for exploring just aren't that interesting.

I'll play a few more levels later and see how it develops. I must've got quite far before but don't think I ever finished it.
  • JonB wrote:
    the rewards for exploring just aren't that interesting

You're probably right with this, much as I like the game.  Extra funk vacs and panic buttons are a measly pay-off considering how well some of them are hidden.  They're quite easy to pick up in The Hyperfunk zone too.  It's more fun in co-op, but it also becomes a touch too hard to finish without a tonne of effort as the lives are shared.
  • JonB wrote:
    the lack of conventional challenge (at least in the early levels)

This is exactly how I felt after by brief play with it yesterday, don't think this is gonna be one for me tbh.

Hopefully multiplayer with moot will help it shine.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I didn't get back to Funkotron, but then I have played it before.

Are we continuing this thing?
  • Yep, back to retroking for the next choice, might as well keep the same order if we're all game, which will be:

14th Aug - Retroking
    28th Aug - davyk
    11th Sept - jonB
    25th Sept - Eric
    9th Oct - Nick
    23rd Oct - Hunk
    6th Nov - Moot

Only had a quick go of TJ&E myself, will post thoughts today though.
  • I just couldn't click with TJ&E, was hoping to play it in co-op with moot but we never found the time.

Won't be doing a write up as I didn't play it enough to appreciate it's intricacies. Maybe we could still give it ago when I next see him.

Will pick a game this evening.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I finished it on Mega Drive back in the day, but replaying it a few years ago on Xbox 360 as part of the Sega Vintage Collection, I got bored and frustrated after a few hours.

Looks and sounds lovely, and the ghost cows genuinely made me laugh though.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Solomons Key NES

250px-Solkeybox.jpg

Puzzle platformer, meant to be very good. Never played it, always wanted it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Interesting reading thoughts on TJ&E 2.

I loved the game as a kid but I think people have been pretty spot in here, I certainly never completed it.

That music though! My brother always plays it as a warm up when playing bass guitar. Pretty sure he has no idea where it is from now.
  • It did some great things.  The earthlings messing up Funkotron's funk was a nice touch - everything barring the characters would drop to black & white.  Each earthling would have a set way of being trapped too - singing shower guy would need jars dropped from above, poodle woman should be nabbed after her dogs, tourists would daze you with camera flashes if you didn't hold a button etc.  Still a very good game that still feels pretty original, so I'm gonna go with 90%.  I get the criticisms about the sedate pace, but it's quite tricky to get though it as you're in trouble if you drop any lives early in.
  • It all sounds familiar. I must've played through most of it. Just not one that really stuck in the memory.
  • I have even vaguer memories of Solomon's Key. That's some proper old school stuff. Think I had it when we briefly owned an Atari ST - it was OK but already ageing then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Solomon's Key - I had this. Excellent game. It's originally an arcade game but this is a very good port of it. I played the NES version first and was surprised how close it was when I eventually played it on MAME.

There's quite a bit to it - a pile of levels. There's a lot of hidden stuff too.

Try using your wand on items before picking them up - they sometimes change into something more useful.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It looks great, looking forward to giving it a go.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I put half an hour in just now, managed to get to stage 6 with plenty of level restarts.  Only got to stage 3 without save states.  It's a clever little game for 1987 (Wiki says '86 originally), the way you can completely alter the path of the sparks when route planning and so on, but I think the time to actually enjoy it rather than appreciate it has passed, for me anyway.  I've still got plenty of time for straight platformers of the era, but puzzle games like this one rarely grabbed me when they were contemporary.  Will give it another go before Monday, and probably watch some on Youtube to see where they went with the level design, but for now I'm a bit

2eG1Oho1n5Yac404XG8KZDx2VPCgAFuhTq0gvzf2FIX9prLr60PwW3zoxlEWb4TFDcg=h900
  • There isn't anybody who has time for that.
  • I'm really liking it, will rank high for me I think.

I quite like puzzle platformers, Wrecking Crew was always a personal fav and more recently Captain Toad was a Wii U highlight for me.

Shame no one else has clicked with it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Captain Toad was one that clicked with me.  Also Thomas Was Alone, Abe's Oddysee, Braid, Boxboy to name a few.  Nothing I can think of from the 8-bit era though.  I remember Impossible Mission used to get silly scores in the Sega mags, but I couldn't get on with it when I borrowed it.
  • I just haven't really had time yet for this. But it is one I've played before.
  • Solomon's Key (NES)

I think this is absolutely fantastic, one of the better puzzle platformers I've played. 

There's a good variety of enemy types that react differently enough to the changes you make to the environment to make this a great tactical game. Even the power ups are given out so sparely that it forces you to think of optimal routes and alternative ways to smite your enemies.

There's not many games like this on the NES to my knowledge and its uniqueness definitely makes it stand out, I can see why its highly regarded by fans of the console.

The graphics are nothing special but they're nice and clear and flicker free from what I played, the screen gets quite busy at times so thats quite impressive for a NES game. 

Like most puzzle platformers though I'm unfortunately a but crap at them, and something that doesn't help is the time limit. I would much rather have infinite time to observe the screen and make a plan of action, its definitely something I don't feel it needs.

I got to room 12 on this out of 50. I can only imagine how difficult it gets and like Mighty Flip Switch and the many others I've enjoyed I won't be seeing it through, simply because I can't. Its hard! 

4/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!