• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Konami eh?  Looks a lot better than I thought it would.

I avoid anything licenced as a rule and ignored this back in the day but it does look to be a decent effort. Konami did an awful lot of great stuff on the SNES.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Super cars 2 on the Amiga holds a fond place in my heart in the battle racer genre.

Just watched a vid, looks excellent.  I'm sure my mate had it (based on the fact that he had everything), but I didn't play that as far as I can recall. 

More recent, but this was a great example of the genre:

• I'm a big fan of Circuit Breakers in the battle racer genre. 

Love RC Pro Am, had it on the Game Boy.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Sid Meier's Pirates!  Last off-piste selection, will return to the schedule for the next game.  Mixed opinions on how well this holds up in the Assassin's Creed thread, but I'm up for giving it a go. 

Selection also includes other pirate games, such as Pirates of Dark Water (16-bit) and Overboard! on PS1, because why the hell not.  Massive fan of the latter.
  • Fencing doesn't look to have stood the test of time tbh.  Might seek out the re-release for comparison, if I have a device that runs it.
  • Played around an hour of Pirates! Gold on Megadrive.  I didn't particularly like it, but I could tell I would have enjoyed it had I played it in the early 90s.  The sweet spot would've been just after I finished Monkey Island on my mate's Amiga after a marathon weekend session (his copy wouldn't save, we had to return to it on Sunday morning after a last minute sleepover request was accepted). 

The fencing is a bit Urban Champion, and seems quite sloppy, but there's probably a knack to it eventually.  I liked the way you're held captive for multiple years if you lose a battle, was a nice touch.  Digging/exploration/cannon battles/supply management etc, there's clearly a fair bit to it, I can see why it's fondly remembered.  Graphics are reasonable for 1993 (quite varied in terms of presentation), I assume it had a visual overhaul for the MD?  All in all, a good game that isn't suited to quick blast in 2014 without nostalgia.

I ended up switching to Shatterhand on NES and waded through four levels.  Fantastic game, no nostalgia needed.
  • Thought I'd get back to the list, starting with Elf's choice of Solstice II.  Made by the Pickford brothers, of Plok fame, it's an isometric action puzzler from 1993 (JP). 

Equinox_game.png

Sequel to a rather nice looking NES game.  Music by Tim Follin too.  Care to write a paragraph or two, Elf?  DS did a rather impassioned guest blurb for Super Metroid.  Go on.

Open ended timeframe for this, if the original is anything to go by it's not a game to enjoy in 10 minute bursts, will just see how it goes then move on to the free choice pinball games slot, I think.
  • I started this a while back but didn't get far. It also didn't work on ZSNES, I think, so I had to get an alternative emulator. It seemed quite good once I started to get the hang of it.
  • Noice!

Whilst I don't have the time to join in with playing, I'm happy to see one of my suggestions being played. This game brings back memories. It is indeed by the same guys who did Plok!, and also the music in both games is great and is by Tim Follin. 

I'll post my thoughts from when I played it back in '93 soon.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I never liked that style of game. I played Knight Lore on the CPC464 and this felt like that. Usual deal with me and explorer / non linear games - I started wandering around in circles - probably missing something - and gave up.

Looks and sounds great though.
  • Actually, when there's a spare week or something on this thread, I'd love to do a highscore challenge on Devil Crash/Dragon's Fury on the MD. I'm happy to write a bit about it, including some playing tips.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    see how it goes then move on to the free choice pinball games slot, I think.

Seems well timed.  I'm happy to lead with Devil Crash but I'd like to try out some others too.  Looking forward to trying Psycho Pinball.  I'll need a couple of weeks to form an opinion on Soltice II first, but feel free to host the pinball challenge when we move on.  Dan's PS4 pinball thread has got me in the mood.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have that on cartridge (Dragon's Quest). Count me in.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    As it happens I have a boxed copy of Equinox AND a SNES on which to play it.  It had great mood back in the day, due in large part to the music.  Quite pretty in places.  I might bust it out.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Welcome aboard.  I'm gonna start this tomorrow.
  • The coolrom website appears to have dropped its Nintendo downloads.  They seem to crack down on the illegals more than other companies, fair play to them.  Finally started this though, found it elsewhere.  Runs nicely on PSP, which is a change for SNES games.  Looks lovely.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I will play it today.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I have Equinox somewhere in the loft.

I remember getting stuck as a youngun collecting orbs(?) in one area, could never get past it. 

I seem to remember the orb would move up beyond reach the nearer you got to it...memory is extremely hazy though.

Was a great game up to that point :)
  • The purple things you collect in each world? Tokens. 

There was one that dropped onto a conveyor belt of blocks when you entered the room. If you weren't quick enough, it would eventually drop into in an inaccessible place.

Some of the puzzles were genius. Played around very well with the isometric perspective. Something that was actually at front top would look like it's back bottom and vice versa. A bit of trial and error is needed at times but it's beautiful when it all comes together.
  • Been playing through this with a guide.  Seems like a good one so far.  Comparing it to games I've played, it's got a touch of Cadaver and Light Crusader about it.  As it's so puzzle heavy it's definitely closer to Light Crusader than Landstalker (a personal favourite).  It's a pleasant looking game and it controls nicely.  Been getting frustrated here and there, but I'll take the rough with the smooth. 

Using Youtube as a reference point, it seems that the PSP is struggling with exterior scenes and cut-scenes (the lovely intro was a blank screen for me).  I would've been very taken with this in 1993.
  • Is this a Rareware game?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Software Creations. The Pickford Brothers.
  • Is this a Rareware game?

We played the first one on NES at yours, marvelled at the gfx but decided not to give it a score because we only dented the surface.
  • Yeah I remember, I could have sworn it was made by rare. What else did Software Creations do? Where they predominantly Amiga developers? I don't recall them tbh.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Apart from the original Solstice, they also did Plok! on SNES. That's all I remember then for. According to Wikipedia, they also did some Marvel games, ones that I know and have played! Don't remember much though.
  • Anyone fancy a few weeks of retro pinball score challenges?  Jon, if you fancy writing the blurb for Dragon's Fury we could kick off with that.  Only played it briefly myself.  I'm interested in checking out Psycho Pinball too, Codemasters were on a good run at the time.
  • Dragon's Fury/Devil Crash is one of my all time favourite games! :)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have the MD cart. I'm in.
  • I will write a thing at some point later.
  • 3218500 (Dragon's Fury).  Only had time for one go so far, got most of those points on the third ball.  Aside from the lack of flipper noise, which I haven't been able to stop noticing yet, it feels like an extremely solid 16-bit effort.  Not much of a gauntlet to throw down, but there it is.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!