Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK wrote:
    Just tried Shinobi III on MD courtesy of the old Everdrive. It's a bit tasty.

Best Shinobi for me, seems to get a bit overlooked.

Shadow Dancer is very underrated too, plays a lot more like the original Shinobi than Revenge and III.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Loved Mercs, don't think I've played the arcade version.

It's on the Capcom Arcade Stadium, that's where I've played all these recent Capcom games here.

They're all available separately now for decent prices, so no getting lumbered with unwanted games in bundles.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Neither of the stadium collections seems to have Gunsmoke unfortunately.

Could go in the 101 things thread, but a pet peeve of mine is when retro compilations don't have a complete list of included games in the blurb on storefronts. There's a 30 game Midway one dirt cheap on XBL at the moment, but it does that 'including such classics as *list of a handful of games* and many more!' thing. I'll Google it at some point, still annoying though.
  • Agree that Shadow Dancer is better than its B tier reputation suggests, especially the arcade game.
  • Not the Master System port though. I borrowed that as a kid, yikes. Hadn't had my MS long at that point but it was bad even when everything seemed amazing.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Neither of the stadium collections seems to have Gunsmoke unfortunately.

Honestly, the NES version is much better imo. Arcade game is a coin guzzler.

Out of all the arcade games I've played this year only Green Beret and Mercs are better than the console versions.

Most people think that the superior graphics make arcade versions better, but I think the improved balance in difficulty of console versions is serverly overlooked.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Check your PS Classic though, pretty sure I put a Capcom Collection on there that has Gun.Smoke on it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • New game anyone?  Another Megadrive one to put Davy's Everdrive through its paces, perhaps...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like Shinobi III because it feels like a direct update to the original arcade game which is a stone cold classic.   Shinobi is one of the few arcade ports the Wii VC got and it's a superb job.

Will check out Shadow Dancer.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Wii VC was ahead of its time in a way.  I'm sure it had far more choice than you can (officially) find elsewhere these days.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I also got 1942, Ghosts & Goblins, Zaxxon and Star Force on Wii VC.  Zaxxon hasn't aged well at all. :(

Star Force is another old school shooter like 1942 that is simplistic but has a certain something that keeps me going back.

I benefitted most from the PC Engine games on Wii's VC. Discovered some real bonafide greats - Star Parodier, Battle Lode Runner (5 players!), Gate of Thunder, Castlevania:Rondo of Blood among others. Really opened my eyes about that console.
  • I bought a good twenty or so but Vigilante is the first one that springs to mind. I'd only played the MS port. Basic game, very enjoyable though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I took a quick look at the SMS port of Bubble Bobble. First impressions are it looks better than the NES port though I think I remember it being a bit slicker in the handling on NES. Would be interesting to see how it holds up in later levels with lots going on I played that port a lot in the day.

Found a homebrew of Cave Story on the Everdrive too. Checked it out to test the cart saves. Looks rock solid. I played the WiiWare version of that.
  • You played Rocket Knight Adventures?

If not stop everything else you're doing and make that your no.1 priority.

Top Konami stuff and one of their best MD exclusives.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spied that in the ROM list. The Castlevania and Contra games have been noted too.

Dynamite Heddy is another one isn't it?
  • Yeah, that's on my MD list of games I need to play along with Ristar.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm on the final level of Road Rash II atm.

Finally farmed enough money to buy the top bike. Its a gruelling game though, after two or three crashes a race is basically unwinnable and you may as well restart.

Classic games, and I do have a soft spot for them, but by and large the 32-Bit edition makes them redundant.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Rocket Knight Adventures would probably be my pick for Konami's best MD game. I've got the XBLA game to play at some point but whenever I look at it I remember it looks horrible and change my mind.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Rocket Knight Adventures would probably be my pick for Konami's best MD game.

Yeah, it's close between that and Bloodlines for me. Bloodlines is another game only let down by its sort length.

Both are CVG High Fives all day long though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ranger X and Robocop vs Terminator both worth a look too davy!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Ranger X is a lovely looking game.
  • Twinkle Tale is a lesser known gem too, I reckon that'd be arcadey enough for Davy to get into.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have been trawling some more. Gauntlet IV is a classy package. Would have been a brilliant buy in the day if you had the multi-tap and friends. Plenty of content and not just an arcade port. Impressive. An early M2 game I believe.

Biggest disappointment has been Truxton. Highly touted. Played to level 2 and gave up with boredom.

Rocket Knight Adventures is fun - only played a bit but will return. I'm impressed with the sprite sizes on Megadrive.

Risky Woods is a bit quirky but I like the design.

MD Swiv is different from the SNES game. Different in its level layouts. Nice.

Chaos Engine on MD. The SNES port was superior from what I remember which surprises me.But it's solid on MD too - it's more a question of taste re music and graphical touches.

Have noted those other ones. Have heard of Ranger X - think that's on the SD-card. There's a Turrican game that looks nice too from what I've played of it.

I think all in all I prefer the look and the sounds of SNES games. But if I had gone MD in the day I would have been well served by it. Wouldn't have regretted it that's for sure.
  • Good shout on Gauntlet IV, best version I've ever played of Gauntlet.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Some stuff that might appeal, Davy:

Dick Tracy.  

Might sound like an odd rec but this felt a lot like an arcade-game-at-home, despite the fact that it was a console game.  I didn't play the MD version until a couple of years ago in here, but the run & gun-cum-cursor shooter style works quite well.  For the first few stages anyway - it does get a bit more annoying as you progress.  Worth half an hour for sure.  

Flicky

I expect you know this one.  Was met with middling reviews at the time as the gameplay loop is simplistic (and it looked a little 8-bit), but I've put time into this in recent years and it's a very playable game.  Love the bonus rounds.

Magical Hat Turbo Adventure/Decap Attack

Super solid platformers.  Can't imagine you not liking either, although Hat has a nicer style.  

Quackshot Starring Donald Duck

Ultralite Metroidvania with the usual Sega/Disney sheen.  Probably a better game than the 16-bit Castle of Illusion.  Could probably be done in an hour or so, worth it to check out one of the best games the console had to offer in 1991.  These games had a ton of polish and this one was slightly less of a gyp in terms of length.

Toejam & Earl 2: Panic on Funkotron

The original gets all the love, and it was a terrific game, but the sequel is excellent and stands up quite well.  Better with two players but enjoyable solo.  Probably one of the best platformers on MD, all things considered.  Trapping various earthlings in jars rather than bum bouncing on heads makes it stand out from the usual 16-bit platform fare.  Too long to complete on a casual visit but a whistlestop tour might be rewarding.

Sub-Terrania

Very well made Thrust style grav shooter.  The team went on to make one of my favourite MD games (Red Zone), but much as I'd like to I can't recommend that as highly.  Part of my love for it might've been due to the fancypants technical trickery, see.  Terrania is legit though, another contender for a MD top ten.  

General Chaos

Quality little one small battlefield tactics game.  Has to be played to be appreciated really, preferably in mp. 

Star Control

Another underrated mp game.  It's a basic package that could easily pass for an 8-bit game but had more staying power than most games if you had two pads.  I can't vouch for the campaign but it's a quality space dogfighting game.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Flicky, Sub terrania and Quackshot are well known to me. Among my MD favourites. Original Desert Strike is a real MD classic for me too.
  • Pocky & Rocky (SNES)  

Overhead scrolling shooter from Natsume. You choose between the two characters from the title in single player. There are a few differences between them. Pocky moves and slides slightly faster and can transform into a statue for brief invincibility by holding the parry button. Rocky is slower but has a spin attack instead of the temporary invincibility.

Thankfully it has a co-op mode which I'm a big fan of. It's got a good difficulty curve, the first level is a breeze, but it gradually builds up. There are six levels in total, which might seem on the short side but it's not one you'll complete on your first attempt, it took me and a mate a fair few continues on the later levels.

Only real negative for me is the sliding attack, in co-op if one of you bumps into the other while sliding it will cause the other player to spin out of control. This inflicts damage on enemies, but a lot of the levels have cliff edges meaning it's all to easy to lose live's.

It's no quite up there with Smash T.V or Mercs but it's not far behind. Good stuff.

4/5

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Castlevania II: Simons Quest (NES)

Shameless guide assisted run through what is often considered the worst Castlevania. For the record I played the ROM hack ‘Redaction’, which changes NPC dialog to significantly improve clues, such as ‘Wait for a soul with a red crystal on Deborah cliff’ becoming ‘Kneel at the end of the wastes with a red crystal’.

For those who don’t know this is the first non-linear entry in the series and is basically a Metroidvania title that came before that horrible term was coined. At first glance everything is fine, it looks and plays great, in fact in places the graphics are perhaps the best in the series on NES, and the music is also top notch, as is common for the series.

The problems come with the cryptic nature of the NPC clues, these are largely fixed in this ROM hack, although clues aren’t only told by the villagers you talk to. There are books hidden in brick walls that also contain clues. Now to be fair these brick walls are only hidden in rooms in villages or one of the games five Mansions, so it kind of becomes second nature where to look, not to dissimilar from getting a good idea of where wall meat is in the linear entries, but it's still a poor way to discover where to go and what to do. Then there’s the overabundance of fake floors that can only be discovered by throwing Holy Water everywhere. This is something the ROM hack did not fix, although I believe there are hacks out there that have simply removed the fake floors. Outside of some cheap deaths to prolong the play time I see no reason why the developers added it, terrible idea.

Straight off the bat, these issues alone essentially break the game, and is why it’s regarded so negatively. Thing is if (and it’s a big if) you can get past that, there’s actually a decent game in here that along with games like Zelda and Metroid is quite ahead of it’s time for the system.

The concept itself is interesting, Dracula has not only placed a curse on Simon Belmont, but the land and all of its inhabitants. This is the reason the clues in the game are so broken. The NPC’s are actually lying to you because of the curse on them. I was always under the impression the Western release was gimped to force kids to call the Nintendo Hotline or buy Nintendo Power, turns out its actually the way it was designed, although I’m unsure if the original Japanese version was quite as bad. To seal the curse you must find Dracula’s five body parts/belongings; his nail, eye, rib, ring and heart, to resurrect him to kill him again and break the curse – yeah bit silly that bit but plenty of Hammer Horror’s were just as bonkers. There are even three different endings depending on completion time.

This was actually the first game in the series I owned, way back in about 1990, so I have a little soft spot for it. The ROM hack just about makes it playable, you could stumble through it but it’s still very cryptic and unintuitive, no amount of hacking can completely fix this game. What I find annoying is we constantly get remakes and remasters of great games, where are the remakes of games like this that have a good core but ultimately miss the mark. Like I said earlier, there’s a decent game in here, with a few tweaks here and there it could be amazing.

I'm a huge fan of the series and did enjoy my playthrough, I wish I could rate it higher, but it is what it is.

2/5

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nice, definitely sounds like too much of a struggle to tackle without nostalgia.

Anyone fancy doing a couple of scrolling beat 'em ups? I'm looking for recs of lesser known 16-bit efforts really, but there are plenty I haven't played. I've not tried any Final Fight sequels for a start.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!