Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Ooh,UN Squadron. Didn't see that,rings bells but I can't remember it. Onto YouTube I go. 
    What's Christmas Break? Never played that.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • I can remember getting hecka stuck on the scrolling escape sequence on the level when you're heading skywards on balloons etc. Fucking infuriating.

The MD platformer was longer and a 'purer' of level design, but the lack of variety kinda kills it over time, even though the character physics were sort of interesting (think Sonic, but with stronger gravity). The SNES job made with more distinct/gimmicky set pieces and mechanics, and remains rather more memorable in consequence.
  • Played this a lot in my SNES days. Still have a decent condition copy. 

Far too much to play at the moment for me to give time to a game I've already played a fair bit, otherwise I would jump onto this. 

Might join in on the shmups, though. Cos you know. Shmups.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    What's Christmas Break? Never played that.

You're not missing much.  By all acounts it's a bit of a turkey. 
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I have this CIB too - played it to death back in the day - can't remember how many times I completed it - pure enjoyment from start to end.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Played up to level three last night.  Once I got my head around the unusual attack I started to realise how great this is.  The graphics are superb.  It does a nice job of taking a few lives from noobs like myself during the levels, then restocking you in the bonus games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The dash control with the shoulder buttons is brilliantly done - it's very satisfying using the button to stop the dash and judging the skid. It really comes into play at the latter part of the train section with the collapsing bridge etc.

Music is great - the haunted house level and the western theme are my favourites.

Most of the bonus games are delightful but ultimately involve too much luck but I really like the skill-based squash court game.

• I finished this yesterday.  SNES emulation is an absolute nightmare on my handheld (it plays fine, but tends to require a full reset when you save), but I stuck with it.  I thought the vertically scrolling dash level towards the end was quite tricky, I managed to lose tonnes of lives there.  The brief American Football level was a highlight, althought it was pretty much a mini game, which made a short game even shorter as it counted as level three, but was a nice change in pace.  Some amusing fourth wall breaking dialogue too; very Tiny Toons, as I recall. 

I'm not sure if I prefer it to the Megadrive game or not.  Brooks' assessment of the Sega version at the top of the page seems spot on, although I haven't played it for years I do seem to remember it being a bit samey.  I think I'll give the SNES one 85%, for what it's worth.  A great game.
  • Week thirteen - Super Aleste (SNES)

Known in North America as Super Megaforce, this is a vertically scrolling shooter developed by Compile.  In the year 2048, a large mechanical sphere falls from space and starts attacking the world's major cities.  After the failure of the original Aleste craft to destroy the sphere's growth, the Super Aleste was built, with the ultimate goal of flying into and destroying the sphere.  You have eight different weapon types at your disposal, each of which can be powered up, and interestingly, your health bar is apparently tied to your weapon power (if you take a hit with the weapon at its lowest strength you explode).  Wikipedia says nine main levels with three bonus stages.  Good luck. 

_-Space-Megaforce-SNES-_.jpg

Play and discuss, or just simply reminisce.

Week thirteen (03/12): Super Aleste (SNES)
    Week fourteen (10/12): Back to the Future III (Megadrive)
    Week fifteen (17/12): Sub-Terrania (Megadrive)
    Week sixteen (24/12): Christmas break
    Week seventeen (31/12): UN Squadron (SNES)
    Week eighteen (07/01): Zero Tolerance (Megadrive)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    super aleste were proper awesome.
    lots of love for un squdron too here.

wish i still had a snes and required carts to take part.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Aleste is up there in my all time favourite list. I haven't a great appetite for the modern curtain shmup (though I like some of 'em - Castle Shikigami 2 for example) but this and the mighty Galactic Attack (aka Layer Section) on Saturn are my two top old schoolers.

I have the PAL version CIB and the Japanese version cart only.

Some of the levels go on a bit but it's great. The number of weapons at your disposal is excellent too. If you are playing this emulated or cart only bear in mind that by pressing the R-shoulder button you can change the behavioir of whatever weapon you are using - it can make quite a difference to how you play the game.

There isn't a better technical example of sprite handling than this on the supposedly underpowered SNES - it is sprite city with no slowdown or flicker.

Go into options and fiddle with the difficulty - in addition to the usual hard/easy settings there are a tricky and wild settings that really pushes the difficulty up by changing the rules a bit - on tricky - defeated enemies get replaced by a shower of bullets - wild is tricky level cranked up to hard!!

• damn, just realised i missed UN Squardron, I spent many many nights playing through that taking turns with a mate

I'll certainly fire up Super Aleste though if my Supaboy is charged (my snes is buried at the moment due to decorating)

I've always enjoyed it, despite never being any good at it
  • Nah UN squadron isn't for a few weeks yet. Check the OP for the running order. 

I've fallen a bit behind here. Going to crack on with Tiny Toons and Super Aleste this week.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a nifty "short game" score attack option - will have a crack at that it this evening and see what score I can manage - I was able to 1CC the main game about 1 year ago after about 18 years of first getting it...
  • I have the game, but might give it a crack on ZSNES or something, SNES is tucked away in the loft.

I did like it back in the day, but it is quite a simple game.  The music was quite good as well as the gorgeous Mode 7 graphics.
  • I realised I was missing the ROM for this when I started my lunch break, which I'll sort out for tomorrow, so I had a quick go of next week's game (Back to the Future III).  You'd have a case for this being the worst game on the Megadrive, so props to Hodge (it's almost refreshing to play something this cataclysmically bad though).  Probe's early 90s employees should be prosecuted for this shit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looking ahead - if you want to try another lovely platformer then stick Out To Lunch (SNES) on the schedule for later on - was playing it a wee while back and it's still pretty excellent in an understated way. Think it was an Amiga game originally.
  • Added, just watched a video on Youtube, looks good.  A few more suggestions for non Sega/Nintendo 16-bit games would be cool, much as I'm loving them we've been focusing on two consoles for the most part so far.
  • Rondo of Blood on PC Engine.
  • Is that the one on Virtual Console?  If so I've played that briefly, very good.  Added.
  • Played most of the first stage of Super Aleste, until it crashed anyway.  Very good, much more my type of shooter than Gynoug I reckon; it's like a better Truxton.  The health being twinned with the weapon level works well.  I'm impressed so far.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Super Aleste - short game - normal difficulty - 1,025,820

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Added, just watched a video on Youtube, looks good.  A few more suggestions for non Sega/Nintendo 16-bit games would be cool, much as I'm loving them we've been focusing on two consoles for the most part so far.

There were other gaming machines? lol

In all seriousness though the only other ones I can think off are the 8/16Bit computers of the 80s/90s and consoles such as the PC Engine, NeoGeo, Atari Jaguar and all those other 90s consoles that tried to cash in on the gaming boom.

Most of these aren't easily accessible so suggestions for them will always be few and far between and anything later and we're venturing away from 'retro magazine club' into the sister thread 'book club'.

If you wanna go further back my Atari 2600 is set up and ready to go!

Will try and give Super Aleste a quick blast but TBH I'm already looking forward to next week.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    my 2600 is also in a state of readiness - with a harmony cartridge - the r4 of the 2600 world.

The Stella emulator is the business nowadays  - you can switch on effects like phosphor after-burn to simulate a CRT.
  • davyK wrote:

I'm aiming to beat that.

With saves states.

Don't forget there were 3000ish Amiga games Retroking, or arcade games/old PC stuff. We don't have to stick to the consoles.

• Trying to think of some PC Engine goodness and the one that springs to mind is Legendary Axe. It's a Rastan sort of thing, basically, but it always seemed much better. It's been over 20 years since I played it, and it might actually be shit now, but it would be interesting to revisit it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm aiming to beat that. With saves states. 

The short game only lasts 5 mins or so - it's a quick tour of the game through 3 shortened levels......my main game 1cc run score is 5.6 million.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Trying to think of some PC Engine goodness and the one that springs to mind is Legendary Axe. It's a Rastan sort of thing, basically, but it always seemed much better. It's been over 20 years since I played it, and it might actually be shit now, but it would be interesting to revisit it.

Gates of Thunder is a good hori-shmup on PCE. Star Parodier is a nice vertical shmup (cute genre) with main and caravan modes with Bomberman and "Mr PC-Engine" among the selectable ships.Need to crank the difficulty up on it though. Both available via Wii's VC.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Don't forget there were 3000ish Amiga games Retroking, or arcade games/old PC stuff. We don't have to stick to the consoles.

Do they work on your cannoo? Also the legal way is a lot more effort than plugging in a console. Imagine loading up a C64 game for one of these? No thanks! Plus who the hell owns a NeoGeo? Nintendo/Sega are standard stuff, 90% of this thread will be made up of those.

I'll buck the trend right now, Kangaroo - Atari 2600.
    Atari's attempt to capitalise on Nintendo's Donkey Kong. Also the first video game I ever owned.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Do they work on your cannoo?

Yeah.  I managed to find a complete starter kit on the open handhelds forum that had all the emulators (30ish of them iirc) in place, optimised for the GP2X.  There are two SNES ones - one is shit but stable, the other is very good but can't wait to crash.  I just had to find the ROMs and a few BIOS files. 

Legendary Axe looks great, I quite fancy that one.  We've got a good mix of games to be getting along with, I'll add that and one of Davy's shmups.  I really fancy playing Rocket Knight Adventures again, so I'm gonna add that too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!