Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • No need to be shy in here Birdorf - you should suggest a couple of games too. I'll add Megaman week next time I paste the schedule in.

It's nice when we choose a game that gets a lot of interest, but I'm happy enough plugging away with a handful of others. Even zero interest probably wouldn't stop me - I've probably completed more games in this thread than I have outside of it this generation, if that makes sense.
  • Actraiser and Equinox were my suggestions, I think, so I should probably make an effort and play them during the allotted times. Or I could just reminisce, as I do. Specially about the great music in both of those games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Just had a quick skim of the thread and fancy joining in, are the any links to emulators, roms, etc for the current games in the list?
  • coolrom.com should get you most stuff, certainly as far as 16-bit anyway. I haven't tried to play anything newer than about 1995.

Re: Equinox. I downloaded it a while ago and gave it a quick go. Seems to be major problems on ZSNES, at least on my machine - freezes every time you pick up an item. Will see what it's like for others.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yoshi's Story is all about finding a certain type of fruit. The honeydew melons are worth the most and you can complete every level just by finding and eating that particular fruit. This is of course quite tough to do. Levels are circular - you keep performing laps around a level until you collect 30 fruits. There are warps that can be used for jumping to particular sections so minimising backtracking over sections that are picked clean.

The main thrust of the the game is to complete Story Mode several times so unlocking all 24 of the levels and then going for perfect scores in the Trial mode (which is essentially a score attack mode).

Yes - it is no Yoshi's Island - but it's no kid's game either - the toughest paths through the game are not to be sniffed at - and can only be unlocked by finding enough super happy fruit on a run through - which quite often are hidden at least as well as the tougher flowers in Yoshi's Island....there are also purple, black and white Yoshis hidden in the game.

It's isn't as good as the mighty SMB, SMW ,YI trilogy - but it isn't meant to be - but I would argue that it is classic Nintendo design with tougher gameplay unfolding out of a seemingly simple game. The cuteness is turned up to 11 and the initial simplicity is more apparent in this title and I guess that is what put people off.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Levels are circular - you keep performing laps around a level until you collect 30 fruits.

Ah yeah, that rings a bell now you've said it.

davyK wrote:
    It's isn't as good as the mighty SMB, SMW ,YI trilogy - but it isn't meant to be - but I would argue that it is classic Nintendo design with tougher gameplay unfolding out of a seemingly simple game.

True I guess. I have a vague recollection of scraping the surface of it's depth, maybe I was as naive as the next gamer back then and ignored its quality simply because it was 2D.

Really gonna try and give this a few hours but I'm nearing the end of Oracle of Ages atm and I don't want to stop and lose the flow of that.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It seems it's hard to actually state what a perfect score would be for a level - as scoring isn't based purely on fruit collecting.

Scanning a gamefaqs article - the scoring scheme in trial mode takes account of enemy colours - scoring more by consuming combos of enemies that are the same colour as your current yoshi - and you can change some enemy colours by ground pounding.

I have the cartridge and the VC version - but the cartridge version will have my scores - will post them to try and generate a bit of interest - always better to have a target - even if it is mediocre.
  • Good stuff. I'd do the same but my cart was lent out and never returned.

Will finish Oracle tonight and give this a whirl before starting Assassin's Creed III.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'll probably spend the Virtual Console points I transferred over to my Wii U on this, assuming I have enough. Chances are I'll just play it to see the credits, despite knowing full well that's only half the picture.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A single play through is 6 levels - a level in each world - there are 4 different levels in each world - so there are at least 4 playthroughs worth of play - but you only unlock the hidden levels by finding the heart-shaped happy fruit so there's a decent amount of play in there even to just to get to see all the levels. 

The presentation is overall of a really high quality - I really like the pop-up book transition between levels. It's sickly sweet - but when something is so well done I can't help but like it.

The early easy levels really are too easy - I don't think you can lose a life in them - and that didn't help its cause. World 1 has all 4 levels available from the off - with 4 being the trickiest. There are 3 happy fruit to find in every level and you unlock a level in the next world for every one you find.
  • Cheers davy, you've done a good summary there. It's all come back to me now.

moot you fancy giving it a good go tomorrow evening?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just booted the cartridge up - haven't unlocked all the levels yet - 8 to go - will spend this week doing that..

some scores - have quite few a more than this unlocked but I have no score against them in trial mode yet.
    1-1 2708 (finding lots of honeydew melons makes a big difference - it's the lighter coloured melon that is the high scoring one)
    1-2 1531
    1-3 1621
    1-4 1733
    2-1 1406
    6-1 1395

I have to say I am a sucker for cute games - Yoshi puppy-dog growls when an enemy shyguy comes close!!

Also remember to use the R button to sniff - helps find buried items.
  • moot you fancy giving it a good go tomorrow evening?

I could do Saturday afternoon/evening, but we've got Theresa's niece Thursday night this week.  Still on for gym and a quick curry after work though, if we can do it early enough.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Holy shit lets talk Yoshis Story. Also if there's any Mega Manning going on in here, I'm yer man. Apparently. I am not mega tho.
  • @Moot_Geeza can't do Sat but not to worry, we'll fit it in next week sometime.

I'm up for some Mega Man, I recently complete the OG on the Wii U VC with the help of save states, I have II which most consider to be the best ready to go and have always been tempted with X on SNES. Is that one on the Wii VC yet?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • All the Megaman games are in my pile of shame.  I've played the first two NES games briefly, but that's it.  I thought Megaman 9, or whichever downloadable title was designed to look like and play an 8-bit game, was one of the greatest examples of fan service in recent years (not that I played it - I just admired the idea from afar).  Much like those Wiiware Castlevania/Contra games no-one bought.
  • kudos on your acknowledgement of said wiiware games, shame on the gaming world in general for their complete ignorance of them
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mega man 10 is as brilliant as it is difficult....even the little challenges get pretty tough - I like the Mega Man games but just can't get on with the brutal difficulty.

I got the Contra & Castlevania games too - quite brilliant - much better than the Gradius remake which is OK but a shadow of those two.

The only real misstep remake was the Rainbow Islands game on WiiWare - even Taito's Bubble Bobble was pretty good as it has 4 player levels. Pity about Arkanoid Plus though as it uses the dpad for control instead of the superb paddle-like control scheme Bit Trip Beat uses.

If you like Mr Driller then Mr Driller W is well worth a look.
  • Mr. Driller on Dreamcast is the only game, to my knowledge, that has given my girlfriend sleepless nights due to insane addiction.  I don't mean just because she was up playing it either; she was having nightmares about playing it when she wasn't, and made a conscious decision to stop.  Bejeweled Blitz and Microsoft Pinball are the only other games that I've ever seen consume her, but apparently Klax addiction was a bit of a problem when she was a kid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The time attack mode in the DC version had its hooks into me for quite a while. Mr Driller Drill World on Gamecube is supposed to be definitive but it needs a JPN console - it won't save to the memory card if using a Freeloader sadly.

• Star Soldier R was another oldie that got the Wiiware treatment. It was around the time these games came out I gave up trying to tell people about games on Nintendo platforms.

Its a real shame none of them sold because instead of getting more of the like on Wii U Konami have completely given up, they don't even support the VC on it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Forgot about that one - couldn't understand why people moaned about it being a 2/5min game - that's what it is.....they kind of missed the point.
  • I admit I never got round to buying Castlevania/Contra on Wii Ware, although I always intended to. I think I just gave up on the whole Wii shop thing after a while and couldn't be bothered to get more points and buy stuff. Shame.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So I have my own formula for popping off Mega Man 2 as in how to approach bosses. Dunno if it's the 'accepted' way, but it's the way I always go through it. Finished it not that long ago again, due to the old 3DS.
  • Should I add a specific Megaman game then?  Is a certain one considered the best in the series, or would we prefer another choose your own week?  Actraiser isn't particularly long, so I could slot it in during the second week I had scheduled for that perhaps (16th Sept), otherwise it'll have to wait until January 2014.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd do a choose your own week. 2 is generally considered the best, although I have a soft spot for 6. 

1-6 are available on the 3DS eshop. 

I'd say stay away from the X series though. They're a different kettle of fish.
  • Yeah choose you own week but I wouldn't cut Actraiser short for it, that's quite a deep and involving game, 2 weeks would probably be best for that.

@regmcfly What's wrong with the X series?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The X series is great. Not as tough either.

It might be an idea to separate them out though. Perhaps squeeze a week in this year for the main series and then do another later for the Xs.
  • Yeah choose you own week but I wouldn't cut Actraiser short for it, that's quite a deep and involving game, 2 weeks would probably be best for that.
    Yeah, there are probably better candidates to cut short - like PC Kid 2 for example. Or GTA?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah choose you own week but I wouldn't cut Actraiser short for it, that's quite a deep and involving game, 2 weeks would probably be best for that.

@regmcfly What's wrong with the X series?

Nothing at all! I just see them as two very different titles.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!