Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Why did you even bother then? You are only adding fuel to my hypothesis, that shall eventually consume all words.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Because its good to see your hypothesis become wronger. And wronger. AND WRONGER.

Backtracking isn't an issue, getting those relics took me two/three hours iirc, which was a joy considering how much the gameplay is the mint. But then eh, pointless sidequests, I'm sure, are a staple in many other game you've played.
  • It's getting righter and RIGHTER. Backtracking always sucks, it's a testament to the quality of Prime's gameplay that we can largely gloss over what is basically needless fat in the game. I still find it screw with the pace, as it fails to punctuate the backtracking with any significant events.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I just saw it as a part of the world. Your upgrades are spread out and, naturally, are the relics, the logs you scan keep building the feel of the world, the atmosphere etc. Sure, they could've left that bit out, but to me it felt like Metroid, wandering around distinct areas you've visited multiple times to find stuff to aid you.

I've no problem with backtracking really, never have had. But then one of the highlights of ME2 for me was scanning planets so I guess I embrace monotony.
  • some of us don't do weed bro
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I don't play games when stoned. I haven't for about 18 months, barring Trials.
  • man joking with you is like no fun. BACK ON THE WEED.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Mate I'm getting ready to go out. Man can't multitask.
  • My favourite bit in Metal Gear Solid is where you have to run around heating and cooling the key cards.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Suck on THAT, Temps.
  • You're all terrible people.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Is that bit where you hide in the box while some guards have a wander?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Backtracking's cool by me, as long as it's done well... I quite liked the Riddler's challenge in Arkham's Asylum... Especially after completing the game, leaving the play area clear of NPC's, so you can study the environment and think about it differently.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Is that bit where you hide in the box while some guards have a wander?

No, but that actually is the best bit.  Apart from all the C4 explosions from the trailer.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've never played MGS. I'm cool.
  • But then one of the highlights of ME2 for me was scanning planets so I guess I embrace monotony.

I'm finding this quite amusing.  I genuinely liked/didn't at all mind the hacking game in Bioshock though (all joking aside), which I suppose is a similar thing.
  • I'll be in, as soon as it's 30p of course.

Been a Loooooooong time since I last took this on.
  • Super vs Prime? I love both almost equally, but Super takes it for slightly better atmosphere and pacing, and part of the love probably is also due to nostalgia. I love Prime's first person view for better immersion and viewing the detailed environments, the bosses, the logs you scan, the shooting. There's so much to love about it, and it's a nice lengthy adventure, whereas Super is short and easy. Big still. Super 'feels' more pure.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • backtracking is shit. Its acceptable in super metroid because it takes about 2 minutes to get to where you want.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    backtracking is shit.

Except when it's done in GTA?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    There are 2 places I can think of where the guide will come in extremely useful.....actually 3 - there's one of the bosses that can be dealt with in a rather clever way.

BBQPWN??

I have no idea what that means or what boss or what clevers but ain't reading the whole guide to find out. Can you de-obfuscate?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    There are 2 places I can think of where the guide will come in extremely useful.....actually 3 - there's one of the bosses that can be dealt with in a rather clever way.

BBQPWN??

I have no idea what that means or what boss or what clevers but ain't reading the whole guide to find out. Can you de-obfuscate?
    Spoiler:

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Spoiler:
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Backtracking through the glorious worlds of Metroid games doesn't bother me at all. In fact i almost actively like it. I like re-visiting the distinct worlds rather than just seeing them all on a 'use once and destroy' basis. Plus sometimes upon re-visits you will have a bit of gear that allows you to discover something you missed the first time around. Its done very well in the Metroid series, i think they re-use the world perfectly.

But admittedly backtracking can be almost game breakingly dull if not done well.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Backtracking through the glorious worlds of Metroid games doesn't bother me at all... But admittedly backtracking can be almost game breakingly dull if not done well.

Environmental backtracking is fine with me, because if it does frustrate you, then that indicates a fundamental problem with the design of the level/environment itself, and not necessarily the idea of going back to your avatar's homeland, to collect the 'Wodge of Legend (tm)'.

I've always hated repeated bosses more myself... They can fuck off...

The only way you might get away with that faux pas, is if it's Gunstar Heroes Seven Force*, or something.

And even then, having to face awesome bosses more than once still irks me. 
    Like that small tower section near the end of Bayonetta...

Fuck.

I'd have preferred it if they'd just shortened the game.

The bosses in that game were proper bo' too...

*Arguably the greatest "traditional" boss in any computer game.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    @davyK: Grappling hook is what you're thinking off.

Gonna start this in an hour or so, early super missiles or not hhmm.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @davyK: Grappling hook is what you're thinking off.

Gonna start this in an hour or so, early super missiles or not hhmm.

Ah yes....thought it had a fancier name than that.....it's been a while.

Going to start from scratch myself.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Anyone ever rescue the little aliens?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Always :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!