Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I tried RnR racing on Megadrive and it played a bit flat. The music was either shit or absent - I can't remember now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Those sound like excellent choices.
    Also, F-zero retrospective is up at df retro.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What a game F-Zero was and is.

That SNES launch lineup. We won't ever see its like again. SMW, F-Zero and Pilotwings. Is it any wonder I picked SNES over MD? Getting chills just thinking of that time.  Super Tennis, Sim City et al. That early SNES era was the business. Real next gen feel.

SMK started off as being a 2 player upgrade to F-Zero...what a time.
  • Like Mario, Zelda and Metroid, F-zero was incredibly influential for it's genre. It spawned the likes of Mario Kart, WipeOut and all the clones notably Sega all star racing .

Shame the ip is on hiatus after F-zero GX but what a high note to end on.
  • I gave the NES Star Wars a quick go but wasn't feeling it, which was undeserved really - it seemed fine, just wasn't in the mood.  Might return at some point.  

I need to get my retromojo back and I think a themed topic will help, so unless there are any objections I'd like to take a deep dive on Konami's Megadrive output.

List of games:

Animaniacs
    Castlevania Bloodlines
    Contra Hard Corps (aka Probotector)
    Double Dribble: The Playoff Edition
    Lethal Enforcers
    Lethal Enforcers 2
    Nigel Mansell's World Championship
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Sparkster
    Sunset Riders
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist
    TMNT Tournament Fighters
    Tiny Toon Adventures: Acme All-Stars
    Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
    Zombies Ate My Neighbours
  • I owned Tiny Toons and thought it was superb.  Will definitely revisit that one first as I'm not sure if it's a great platformer or just a good one for the time.  It was definitely much longer than most MD games in the genre and looked magnificent.
  • The fact that it's only a 4-meg cart has kinda blown my mind.  I knew Konami played safe and squeezed their earlier MD games onto smaller-than-the-norm carts but I thought that would've jumped to at least 8-meg in 1993.  Does anyone know if Bloodlines and Contra were squeezed onto 4-meg carts?  Surely not?

Edit: Looks like Bloodlines is 8-meg, can't confirm Hard Corps yet.
  • I can give Tiny Toons a go.
  • I used to love sunset riders. I must of put a ton of 20 pence pieces in that cab in Weymouth.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No experience of Konami on the MD. My highlights on SNES were Tiny Toons:Buster Busts Loose,Mystical Ninja, Castlevania IV, Pop n Twinbee, Rainbow Bell Adv, Contra, Prince of Persia and Zombies (though those last 2 might have been Konami published only). Marvellous stuff.

Buster Busts Loose was a spectacular looking and sounding game. Real "next gen has arrived" stuff at the time. Big sprites, that SNES colour and sound, tight controls, variety. Gorgeous, gorgeous game. That Western themed 2nd level is one of the best and most enjoyable platforming levels I have ever experienced.

Must get my MD emu to have a look at their counterparts on MD as my cart collection isn't that big.
  • Sadly, TMNT: Tournament Fighters, despite being great on SNES, is poor on Mega Drive.
  • It was awful on the MD, I remember not even trying to defend that one in the playground.

From memory when I last revisited Tiny Toons on the MD it has a weird jump with no inertia, It might be if you stop holding the direction you just drop, I can't fully remember tbh.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Snes Zombies is supposed to be much better too iirc.
  • How did tiny toons SNES compare to MD? really enjoyed the variety on offer in the SNES one, bit short tho
  • Very different games. The MD one is a straight platformer, mostly scored in the 90% range in mags of the day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Konami played to the strengths of the consoles - most games were different and not straight ports.

Forgot they did Parodius on SNES too - great ports they were.

Re the whole MDvSNES thing - the SNES sound and colour scheme and seeing Pilotwings on Gamemaster are what swung it for me. I didn't get the vs thing though as a mate had an MD so we got the best of it. I loved Monaco GP on MD - a real generation highlight for me that game. I suppose being mid-20s there wasn't much of school playground rivalry around it.

Broadly speaking though SNES was Eastern tastes and MD was West. So I always had a leaning to the SNES. It was quite a big deal for me to drop my alliance with Atari at the time - I still had hopes they would make a comeback but the Jaguar was DoA.
  • Eric wrote:
    From memory when I last revisited Tiny Toons on the MD it has a weird jump with no inertia, It might be if you stop holding the direction you just drop, I can't fully remember tbh.

This is true, it also feels like it's on an elastic band so you ping back down as soon as you release the jump button. Playing through with my daughter now. I was worried it'd be a bit Bubsy from the first couple of stages but it's held up quite well. That theme tune isn't going away though, but at least it's rejigged consistently.
  • Early thoughts from Tilly: 'it's a flat game but I still like it for some reason'.

She's not as into side scrollers as I am...
  • I'll give Tiny Toons a go, I've played all the other Konami exclusives on MD.

I've only ever completed the SNES Tiny Toons, which I though was decent but not great.

From memory I remember being more impressed by the NES and MD versions from the brief 10mins I gave them.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Accidentally posted elsewhere:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's good, and it's almost very good compared to most platformers of the time. But it also falls into the trap of being a fast paced platformer that only rewards slow play. I guess that's cool, if you know the layouts you could speed run it, but there's a lot of GOTCHA enemy placement.

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    But it also falls into the trap of being a fast paced platformer that only rewards slow play.

Not a fan of those, Bubsy springs to mind which you compared it to earlier.

Will give it some time over the next week.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure - Megadrive (2hrs)

I had this in 1993, bought after glowing reports in numerous magazines of the day.  Sega's Power, Force and Pro, Megatech, Mega, Mean Machines Sega, Mega Action, Sega Megadrive Advanced Gaming and the rest; I'm pretty sure they all gave it the double thumbs up somewhere in the 80s/low 90s range.  And having owned this at the time, coupled with a refresher course over the weekend, I can confirm that that's exactly what this is - an 89% kind of 16-bit platformer.  It doesn't go the extra mile to be truly considered alongside the genre greats of the era but it does do enough to get a mention in dispatches.  For comparison's sake, it'd be bobbing around the outskirts of a top ten alongside the likes of Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventures, Toejam & Earl 2, Addams Family and Demon's Crest, and might even squeeze into a MD only list. 

I'm astonished this is a 4-meg cart, to the point where I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't double checked the size of the ROM.  Anyone doubting Konami's prowess as developers in the early 90s need look no further than this really - it's a looker, with way above average sprites and animation, solid audio and a lengthy quest.  This was one of their first efforts on MD hardware too.  The bosses are one of a kind battles and mostly well designed (if a little on the easy side).  The levels are punctuated by a Mario style map screen, and there are even a few hidden exits/stages to find.  Gameplay is solid, with unexpected flourishes such as a wall jump and a high bounce if you time the head bops correctly.  Basically, it's kind of a big deal - this isn't some flotsam & jetsam licensed platformer, it's a legit attempt to make a good game.  As previously mentioned, the gotcha traps are a bit off when it comes to hazards and enemy placement, but this can be mitigated by careful play.  The swimming sections are poor, and there's not quite enough variety in the main stages for this to be considered for inclusion in the toppest tier, but if you can get used to the elasticated jump and slightly derivative action there's a very good game here.  89%    

5c62096790e3723f25cb5fb7e121f664cef9c18a.gif

• This guy is roughly correct imo.  I can't work out if that's his real voice or he's doing a Toast of London fanfic nemesis bit but there's some stunning pronunciation in there.  Subsequent at 17.22 is particularly fun.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.

Nicer to see an MD game that doesn't look brown either.
  • Had a late one last night. Started Animaniacs as I was intrigued by the three character setup but it's not great so I only stuck with it for two levels. Dabbled with (the truly excellent) Bloodlines but wasn't in the mood for the whole thing.

Then played through Contra Hard Corps and came away hugely impressed. This might have nipped ahead of Gunstar Heroes on my MD run 'n gun list.

By that point I was quite pissed and forgot it was a MD centric topic and played through Sunset Riders on SNES, then realised my mistake and played through on MD to make amends. Interesting seeing the two ports back to back.

Full thoughts later.
  • And I added Hyperstone Heist to the list this morning.  Quick capsule reviews!

Contra: Hard Corps - MD (70mins)

I'd played this in Probotector guise once or twice - once near launch when I either borrowed or rented it - but filed it alongside Batman & Robin in the 'lovely stuff but too difficult' zone.  According to a spot of recent research the JPN release is the easiest and the NTSC-U/PAL versions are roughly on par, despite major cosmetic changes to the latter.  Maybe I had my gaming hat on last night, but I found it much more tamable than I remember.  I watched a Youtube guide first and mimicked the Jack/top routes/reliance on weapon C tactics, and felt like I was legitimately cutting my way through it, albeit with judicial use of save states.  Some mags gave this huge scores at the time - 94% in the Official Sega Magazine iirc - and the more I played the more I realised it probably deserved it.  I've not played a lot of Contra in my time (I've probably played more Blazing Chrome tbh), but this is seriously legit.  Like, marginally better than Gunstar Heroes legit.  Really enjoyed it, and the branching paths mean that this wasn't a one-off-the-wrist Megadrive effort either.  Super strong gameplay, big sounds and some neat visual effects help push this somewhere close to the top 10 MD games ever.  Absolutely brilliant, I'm shocked that it took me this long to fully appreciate it.  93%

Sunset Riders - SNES (80mins)

Terrific arcade action, non-stop coin dropping fun.  Polished and chunky with sampled speech aplenty and a nasty-but-fair gameplay loop.  It's basic compared to plenty of 16-bit games but the simplicity makes it sing.  Loved it, my only complaint is that some of the bosses just felt a touch too evil. 88%

Sunset Riders - Megadrive (40mins)

I knew the MD version took a hit in certain ways but wasn't prepared for this level of nerfing, this stands out as a hugely inferior port when played back to back.  Gameplay wise it's similar, and the graphics are a decent enough approximation, but the length is a joke.  Not only are half the levels missing but the brilliant Hogan's Alley style bonus stages are replaced with weak wagon chases.  Still fun, but boy does this get pulverised in a head to head. 79%

TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist - MD (50mins)

I loved the arcade original but it's an evil coin guzzler at heart, the console follow ups were much more balanced.  Big fan of the speedy, fluid brawling in this and can't imagine ever booting this (or Turtles in Time) up without having fun.  Not the longest and never would've won any prizes for variety but an absolute blast to play.  The diagonal downwards kick has to be the most iconic aerial attack in scrolling beat 'em up history.  Can't wait for the upcoming spiritual successor.  86%
  • Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)

Quite a tough one to judge this. On the one hand it's a perfectly competent platformer. On the other its so run-of-the-mill it borders on boring.

Other platformers try to mix things up a bit like Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow which we played on here last year. Even when they fall short, the effort to spice things up is appreciated.

A great example of this is the SNES Tiny Toons, which is a gimmicky tour de force comparatively, but there's a good argument for this being a better out and out platformer. Given the choice I'd much rather play the SNES game over this though.

At the end of the day this game plays it too safe, it's good but you've basically played it numerious times before in a different guise.

3/5

My Reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ooh interesting! That's the Nes version no?
    Wouldn't surprise me if they studied the SMB games and copied the inertia effect and physics to get the gameplay feel right.

The 16-bit versions are a different beast tho. The influence of the blue blur is definitely in there.
  • NES version yeah.

It seems like they legit reverse engineered it.

It's frame for frame.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!