Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK wrote:
    Here's my 3: Solar Jetman (NES) For me, this is the pinnacle of the gravity shooter genre. It starts off easy enough but there are a goodly sized pile of levels that soon become very large (you get a level mapping device as a power up in the early levels). Excellent physics, plenty to collect. Your mission is to collect ship parts that when put together form the Golden Warp Ship. It's Brit-coded so there are odd little humorous touches throughout. Developed by Zippo games (later Zed Two who did Wetrix) and published by Rare. This is an impressive title technically - 8 way scrolling was a big deal back then on the NES, it looks great and features unique sound. You travel around different planets each with different levels of gravity. You can collect stuff but you can also collect money for spending in a shop in which the fun weapon upgrades can be purchased. Prince of Persia (SNES) The SNES got a great port of this game - has exclusive levels and bosses. Looks lovely and the soundtrack is glorious. RType III : Third Lightening Exclusive entry in the series for the SNES. Loads of SNES trickery on show. The first level probably goes on a bit too long but its worth sticking with. Lovely level design and you can select from one of 3 force orbs to play it with.

I've played Solar Jetman, but not for long (half an hour, maybe).  Will probably go for Prince of Persia if that's OK, I always liked the look of the SNES one in mags (MS version was great, but the MD one was shoddy apparently).
  • I tried Pulseman a few years ago, although didn't get very far. Seemed OK though.

Wild Guns looks like fun, so I might give that a go. It also reminds me of something that's probably nowhere near as good but I might recommend to you. ;)

I still need to think of 1 more though.
  • OK, here's some:

Mr. Nutz (SNES) - About as generic looking a cartoony platform game as you can get, but the control and level design are actually very good (or I thought so at the time), and the whole thing is generally well put togather. It was also on MD, but I don't know if they're exactly the same.

Dynamite Duke (MD) - Arcade conversion which is sort of like Operation Wolf but with your character displayed at the bottom of the screen so you can dodge and punch things too (works a bit like Punch-Out in that respect). It's pretty short and not particularly difficult as I recall, so you can probably whip through it with save states. Hilariously shit cover art too.

Pocky and Rocky 2 (SNES) - Vertical scrolling shooter with old Japan setting that I suppose is sort of a cross between Mystical Ninja and The Ninja on Master System.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've played Solar Jetman, but not for long (half an hour, maybe).  Will probably go for Prince of Persia if that's OK, I always liked the look of the SNES one in mags (MS version was great, but the MD one was shoddy apparently).

Okey Doke.  SNES PoP was the version I completed which is saying something as I usually don't stick with games like this. I messed about with the PC version but the definitive version of the original game would be on SNES.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • RetroK and I played a couple of levels of Dynamite Duke a couple of months ago (the cart is going to Chillout Games soon, along with a load of MD/Mega CD games from my mother in law's loft).  Pretty sure everyone quite enjoyed it.
  • I think I fancy Pocky & Rocky 2, so I'll go for that and PoP.  Mr. Nutz was probably decent enough, although it's easy to see why I completely dismissed it at the time.  Apparently Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel is a bit of a gem, which I filed alongside Aero the Acrobat etc.  I doubt there's much wrong with them - Mr. Nutz could be the poster child for the bandwagon mascot platformer movement though.

Got two options for Davy, will think of a third and post tomorrow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pocky & Rocky was very well thought of back in Super Play times - hard to get old of a physical copy now.
  • Davy, pick what you want from this little lot:

Overboard! - PS1

PS1 is a cinch to emulate, but if you have the console I can send you the disk in a slip case from work - would only take a couple of days to arrive.  I loved this, a supremely polished pirate themed maze shooter that would easily make my top ten Playstation games.

RC Stunt Copter - PS1

Same as above RE: emulation/disk in the post.  Shiny Entertainment developed, slightly odd stunt helicopter game.  Unexpectedly deep controls, dual shock required. 

Master of Darkness - Master System

Was planning on saving this for when I'm partnered with retroK, but there's no reason why I can pick it twice.  Straight up Castlevania rip off - turn the other cheek to the cheek and it's an excellent game.  

Super Magnetic Neo - Dreamcast

I know you have this.  Two hours on it would appease me. 

Twinkle Tale - Megadrive

Reasonably obscure top down scrolling shooter.  Played through this last year, it's a cracker.  Not released in PAL format afaik.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Those all look good.

Super Magnetic Neo is probably my first choice as it will be easiest to get going - won't have played it in well over a decade.

Overboard looks charming and has Desert Strike undertones going on (which is a good thing)

Might do more than 1.
  • @Retroking1981 what are you able to play console / emulation wise?

I can probably play most now I have got my head around the emulation thing so feel free to have a free reign!

Moot I still have not got round to Red Zone but will do it after the Driveclub TT's are out of the way (last one this week)!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Emulation for older consoles is pretty easy nowadays - must get an MD one set up. Does anyone have any recommendations for Windows?
  • I've been using Fusion. It's always worked well.
  • Yep another vote for Fusion. It does all Sega stuff up to MegaCD. I get all my roms from emu paradise too, as cool Rom just downloaded a load of malware!
  • Eric wrote:
    @Retroking1981 what are you able to play console / emulation wise? I can probably play most now I have got my head around the emulation thing so feel free to have a free reign! Moot I still have not got round to Red Zone but will do it after the Driveclub TT's are out of the way (last one this week)!

I can get anything really mate although something like C64/Amiga etc are a lot more awkward because of needing a keyboard so a straight up console game would be preferable.

Only request would be no epic Chrono Trigger style games as I'm a little limited for time atm.

I'll have a little brainstorm for you tonight mate.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    cheers for the tips re MD emu peeps.
  • Up to level 6 on Pocky & Rocky 2, perfect emulation fodder.  I was attempting to beat the bosses with a save state at the beginning, which I'd revert to when I ran out of lives, but they're quite brutal - particularly the wolf form of the third boss.  Graphics are chunky and appealing, can't judge the sound as the PSP is doing a terrible job with it.  My complaint at this stage, probably as a result of years of being spoilt by twin stick shooters and suchlike, is that it feels like there should be a 'lock' button for the character to allow strafing/dodging whilst facing a particular way.  It would probably ruin the balance, and would certainly make it far easier (or less tricky, it's a pretty harsh harsh game once you've lost a life and powered down), but the L trigger is crying out for it.  Perhaps I'm missing a button due to the auto mapping, but my best guess based on a good chunk of the game would be that there's no such move included and it's a simple 8-way Commando evolution.
  • It's a wonderful game. One of the ones I regretted selling the most although did get over £200 for it - it was in perfect condition. 

And yes. 8-way only. Was disappointed that the box art didn't feature in he Super Fanicom box art book that arrived yesterday.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I thought there was a button that made you fire up the screen regardless of where you were going, but I may be thinking of something else.
  • Maybe The Ninja, as you mentioned it - one button for the direction you're facing, one for sraight up.  I had if for over a week before I realised that pressing both at once made your character briefly invisible/invincible.
  • Uh yeah, that's probably it actually.
  • Retro, hopefully you haven't played at least one of these :

Unirally SNES: Played a lot of this with my neighbour as a child. It was his answer to my Megadrives Sonic, 'see SNES can do fast.' Great risk (stunts) reward (go faster) game that used to cripple our hands especially in the great two player.

Ranger X Megadrive: Graphically sumptious great little tactical run and gun and not too hard.

Comic Zone Megadrive: Scrolling beat em up which you may have already played but great comic book stylings but I found it really hard as a kid. Save states could be a savior here! Still got this if you want a loan.
  • I had Ranger X.  It chugged a bit in places but was very good.  I like shooters where your sprite pushes the screen (Sub-Terrania is firmly in my MD top 10, Bangai-O is in my DC top 3).
  • @eric I'll go for Ranger X there. I've played the other two for a few hours each and thought they were both good but neither really grabbed me.

I'll pick yours tomorrow afternoon mate, sorry for the delay.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yep no rush Retro, glad there was one you had not played and at least it's reasonably accessible, it's no Probotector thats for shizzel.
  • @eric I think I remember you saying you grew up with Sega mainly so here's a few Nintendo gems from my childhood.

Batman NES
    One of the best 8Bit movie tie ins and probably in my top 20 NES games. Got the thumbs up from moot after I suggested it to him a few years ago.

Super Spike V'Ball
    Made by Technos of Double Dragon fame, this is easily one of the best sports titles for the system. 

Super Castlevania IV
    One of my all time favs and right up there with the very best Castlevanias, pure class.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I almost picked the Game Gear Batman Returns for Davy.  Overlooked, but not a patch on the NES one up there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Castlevania IV is the only one in the series you need to play as far as I'm concerned. Peerless. Chronicles on PS1 comes close but IV is the definitive Castlevania before the series went all Metroid and lost its focus.
  • Yeah its my personal fav. You played Rondo of Blood or Bloodlines/New Generation davy? Both must plays if your a fan of IV. III on NES is excellent too.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Bloodlines is great for a retro bash as it's comparatively short but packed full of quality.  IV is the best and Symphony of the Night is the one I'd like to like, but I struggle to commit to the Metroidvania template so its brilliance is lost on me - I like to go from left to right (or occasionally right to left/down to up), beat a boss, hear a jingle and move on to the next stage.
  • Great Retro lets do a bit of SNES Castlevania then . I've got The New Generation on the MD but have barely scratched the surface of it so it will be good to finally get into one.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!