Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • How about First and Second Samurai on SNES and MD respectively?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jeez I owned First Samurai - boxed and all. Worth a bloody fortune now I expect. It was fun from what I remember though it got a bit flickery I think?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Would you rather be the first samurai or the last ninja?

2Eu8AnX0tDopj_9lRG8JBnOWMrobFbVScA4z4WDT8jriqZ-GBiDuy-6rXj0tsb9FQTcbdWIzkRRvjddnVAGq3s1NmAGyQV0e_BT_WrQEYbagMb3OlvT4oYHYJgG--iAgM4d4RnUjGmfR
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Fair enough.  I liked the power bar for the boomerang - let it build up and you throw it the length of the screen.  I thought the multi directional fire was really well implemented too.  

I won't suggest the sequel just yet then, heh.

Hold on - you can charge up the boomerang?! Is this from the start? May give it another go as this changes the dynamic a bit

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I remember First Samurai on the ST - be nice to revisit this.

I was definitely more of a Last Ninja fanboi, though
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Fair enough.  I liked the power bar for the boomerang - let it build up and you throw it the length of the screen.  I thought the multi directional fire was really well implemented too.  

I won't suggest the sequel just yet then, heh.

Hold on - you can charge up the boomerang?! Is this from the start? May give it another go as this changes the dynamic a bit

From the start iirc. I didnt notice it at first but if you wait a few seconds between throws the bar fills up and the boomerang goes further. Spamming it works better for defence but the long throw helps with picking off enemies that frogman up and down out of water etc.
  • Double Dragon (Arcade) 

Pains me to say this, but this is pretty terrible, time has not been kind at all.

I was a huge DD fan as a kid and had the whole trilogy of NES games, and played the Master System version with my cousins, so I couldn't resist picking up these arcade versions on Arcade Archives.

Honestly, I think both of the aforementioned console versions are much more playable and fun than this. The controls are very loose and the speed at which your character runs around makes it a chore to even line up with an enemy at times.

The collision detection feels slightly off, and there's no real satisfying feeling when you do land a blow.

The real problem though is the slowdown, it is absolutely crippling. It was a common problem in games back in the day, but this is honestly the worst I've ever seen.

It feels wrong to attach this score to such an important and iconic game, but its just not a good game now unfortunately.

2/5

Double Dragon II The Revenge (Arcade) 

Everything here is slightly better than the original but not enough. Everything still feels slightly loose and off, and the slowdown still ruins the fun.

The big problem with this one is how much is recycled from the first game. I know it was initially going to be an upgraded version and evolved into a stand alone game, but it doesn't feel like they did enough to justify it to me.

The NES version absolutely wipes the floor with this, I really need to check out the PC Engine version which is based on that and meant to be the best of them all.

Another disappointing arcade classic, and its bonkers to think Final Fight came out one year after this.

2/5

My Reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just posted those in here as I like to keep my retro reviews in one place.

Will get on the Samurai games this week.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I never rated DD. I saw as a fun 2 player coin muncher but the novelty soon wore off.

But in its day it was massive.
  • Double Dragon looks and plays ancient compared to the likes of Final Fight. Streets of Rage improved on Final Fight but it's weird how the genre kind of hit a brick wall after that. There was the Konami Turtle games but no real innovation until SoR4 dropped.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I still think DDII on the NES is excellent and DDIV doesn't get anywhere near as much love as I think it should.

I've not played Neo yet, and have still yet to play Super on SNES. Will probably play them both later in the year.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I borrowed the MS port of the original few times in the very early 90s. Just having a simultaneous two player mode was huge, but it never really passed the Great Game litmus test if anyone had their critical hats on. Mine always fell off as soon as I saw Bimmy's hotrod poking out the garage.

In my head the GBA reboot is superb but I never read any buzz about it so maybe that's just a weird hot-take from me. Might be worth taking a look Retro. The GBA had some decent scrolling beat 'em ups, possibly more than the SNES (don't @ me).
  • Sudden urge to mention how much I loved Vigilante, another game I borrowed but never owned. What a time to be alive.
  • DD Advance is meant to be very good, its not just you.

Not sure if it's co-op though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've got the cart, might fire up the Micro at some point. Or play on the PS Mini.

Might start First Samurai tonight.
  • I regularly bang on about modern scrolling beat 'em ups but the indie stores are an absolute treasure trove for anyone looking for a nu old school walk/punch/eat apples experience. Such a good genre for relaxing goodtimes. SOR4 is the undisputed champ in my eyes but there are half a dozen 'never heard of it' types that would be worth pumping a massive stack of 20ps in.
  • I found Double Dragon as pleasant an experience as being Jimmy Lee's girlfriend.

Have you tried Combatribes? It's basically a parody by the Double Dragon creators no longer giving any fucks.

Undercover Cops on MAME is worth a look - if only because one of the main characters is a professor of philosophy.
  • Trying to make allowances for The First Samurai but not having much joy. Some of what it's doing with the warp pots and item requirements is interesting I guess, but the first boss was a turd. I'd forgotten about "oh no, my sword!" and other amusing sampled speech snippets. There are plenty of worse games, but this isn't good.
  • Have you tried Combatribes?

Only for a typical five minute ROM boot up. Didn't seem worth bothering with, is it?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    There are plenty of worse games, but this isn't good.

That's what I'm thinking. You tried Second on Mega Drive yet?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Not yet. I'm up to level two in the SNES one. I don't mind a good train stage so I'll have another attempt before I move on.
  • Have you tried Combatribes?

Only for a typical five minute ROM boot up. Didn't seem worth bothering with, is it?

I was doing an urban decay beat em up run-through. Basically everything from Renegade onwards that was set in a Warriors-esque New York gone to crime. I played them in release order just to see how the genre evolved.

Combatribes made me laugh with the clown gang on level 2. It was just less po-faced than most of the others.
  • Cool, I might give it more time then.

I played a bit of Renegade last week, found it really tough.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember lvl 2 of First Samurai - the train stage - in particular for showing up technical shortcomings. I remember it being as flickery as hell and it put me off.
  • Cool, I might give it more time then.

I played a bit of Renegade last week, found it really tough.

Renegade was nails. If I recall it had a left/ right attack option without needing to turn for crowd control, that was put back in for either DD2 ir 3 (can't remember off the top of my head).
    Seemed an interesting mechanic that I haven't seen used very often.

• First Samurai (SNES) 

Not a bad game, but after two levels I'd seen enough. Even back in 1993 I don't think this would have held my attention long.

OK at best, but not one worth bothering with imo, will delete off my SNES mini.

2/5

My Reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fair summary.
  • Someone needs to play Second Samurai.

I don't know if it's just me but it seems terrible, and makes the first game look like a bit of a masterpiece by comparison.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Heh, looking forward to it now.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Heh, looking forward to it now.

You given it a go yet?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!