Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (SNES)

It's taken me 25 years but I've finally got around to seeing this through.

First off a couple of minor gripes. Kiddy Kong plays exactly like Donkey Kong (apart from the underutilised bouncing on water), his inclusion feels kinda pointless. I'd much rather have played as Dixie and DK rescuing Diddy instead. It does feel a bit odd that you only play as DK in one of the three games in the original trilogy.

Secondly, the overworld map is more free roaming than the previous games. Your not exactly gonna get lost but again for me it doesn't add enough, following the dotted lines would have been sufficient.

Now these aren't gamebreakers and the main bulk of the game is top notch stuff, but you can kinda tell RARE's top staff were busy with N64 development. Its a little samey and safe.

In 1996 the gaming World was at peak hype for the 3D evolution, and rightly so imo. This must have felt like a relic post Super Mario 64 and to be fair, it's not as good as DKC2 or Yoshi's Island, both of which released a year earlier.

Thats not to say its a bad game though, far from it, and thankfully we now live in a world where 2D games get a bit more respect than when most of us were obsessed with polygons. I was one of those so I can't say I regret passing this by in 1996, but the reality is this is a great platformer and easily one of the best of the era.

Very happy to have finally completed it, and would highly recommend to other fans of the series who it may have passed by.

4/5

My Reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nice. I wasn't keen on the map based on the few levels I played either.

One more week of DKC, then move on?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. 2 and 3 and splendid solid games but I prefer the first one. The next two showed Rare starting to indulge in overloading as a means of compensating for their relatively weak game craft. They were always better at the technical side of things. A dream team was Nintendo with design and Rare with implementation but I don't think we ever got that.

Game maps started to become unwieldy - SMW's was the concept's peak. It was great and provided entertainment in of itself without feeling contrived. But they boiled that down to a linear level select in Yoshi's Island which is a better game than any in the DKC series.

Mario 64's castle was entertaining on its own as it wasn't just a level select mechanism - it had some light puzzling and discovery of its own - as was Galaxy's hub world. But it's telling that Galaxy 2's was more like the Yoshi's Island map albeit with some split paths.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair tries to mix things up a bit with with its map screen. The stages are pure DKC - more imitation than homage - but the in between stuff is a sort of Link's Awakening-lite. Props for trying something different but it doesn't quite work, heh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There nothing wrong with loading in collectables - it added value in the day of £40 cartridges (close to double that in today's money) - but I had had enough of that type of thing. Was a feast for fans though.
  • I love collectables in games, but there's a fine line between them making me play for hours more, to there being to much and convoluted in structure to even bother with.

Yoshi's Island and DKC3 are perfect parallels of this. RARE always had a tendency to overdo it with the extras unfortunately, and it only got worse with their N64 content.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • KONG letters for extra stages and jigsaw pieces for collectaholics seemed a good way to balance it in Returns/Tropical Freeze (can't remember what the system was in older games, there were a couple of different coins in DKC2 but it may not have had the letters to collect).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Collectables are fine. And can provide a duality of play in a level. Reach the end vs find the coins for example in NewSMB on Wii. The coins being used to unlock levels and expert replays for example. But it can feel contrived when over done.

I love a time trial mode no matter what the genre. Castlevania Chronicles on PS1 had an unlockable TT mode for each level when you completed the game. Was a nice way of adding a bit replay value. I also think platformers are missing a trick when they build in scoring as another way to play - there tend to be too many scoring flaws in platforming games that have it - too often the restart points and 1up rules break the game for scoring.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    One more week of DKC, then move on?

Anyone up for Rastan?

There was the original that came out on the Master System and various 8-Bit micros, and a dodgy looking sequel for the Mega Drive and PC Engine. There was also an arcade only third entry apparently, but I don't have access to that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I played Rastan about a month ago, can post thoughts if we do it. Might Try Rastan Saga 2 for the memories.
  • Its the Mega Drive one I'm more interested in, its another early MD game that looks like a 12-Bit mess but I have suspicions its probably OK.

I had the MS game back in the day, really good and possibly a top 5 for the system for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I never went back to DKC3 but I keep meaning to. I'll post thoughts tomorrow anyway.
  • Have far you got? Happy to wait if you intend to finish it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ah you'll be waiting ages, I think I'm two bosses down and have started Yak Lad instead. I don't get on with the world map in DKC3 at all. Game seems solid enough though. Don't wait for me, lads.
  • Its the Mega Drive one I'm more interested in, its another early MD game that looks like a 12-Bit mess but I have suspicions its probably OK.

I had the MS game back in the day, really good and possibly a top 5 for the system for me.

Prapare for diappointment, it's weak. I completed it at the time as it came with my MD, but even back then I knew I'd been playing better 8-bit games.
  • Cross-posting....
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Rastan - Master System (45mins)

Despite its age it's still possible to appreciate this one - it's surprisingly fair for a late 80s arcade port.  The main theme is very good, which is handy as it's used for the first stage of every level.  Jumping is deeper than I remembered as it has two types of leap (and a wall jump).  Playing this again made me think about having another run through Volgarr the Viking too, which is no bad thing.  Much like that game you'll need to learn the traps and layouts to succeed.  Enjoyed this, might scrape a top 25 MS list. 1988 90%

Rastan_SMS_No_Death_Run.gif.
  • Proving my ratings are basically spat out by a tombola as I recently declared Castle of Illusion to be a near-as-dammit top 5 MS game with the same score.

:EYES:

Edit: Although I've just seen I awarded that one a 1988 90%, so it all makes sense again.
  • I just played about 20 minutes of Rastan, its really not as good as I remember unfortunately.

The controls are really stiff and the jumping is a bit off to.

Its not awful but I remember it being a lot more fluid to control, its a shame as everything else is spot on.

I got up to 4-1 until running out of continues. Not sure if its worth persevering with tbh.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dunno if you created any save states but that's not far off the end.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Any decent ports of Rygar? I remember watching someone in the arcade playing it to a high level to the point where it looked like a different game to when I played it!!!
  • Rastan (SMS)

Played this for about half hour and was a bit disappointed compared the the memories, and subsequently gave up after running out of continues. It got its claws in though as I quickly went back for another go.

I'm glad I did, as overall I enjoyed it. Its still not as good as I remember it though, the controls are a tad stiff, but worse still is the jumping.

There's numerous times in the game where the normal jump won't get you out of a pit and the high jump will overshoot you to the opposing pit. There is a wall jump but coupled with the stiff controls it can turn what should be simple platforming into pad throwing frustration.

Its a shame as everything else about it is excellent. I got through to level 4-1 on my second playthrough much easier, which goes to show that overall its definitely a playable game, even if the best thing about it is its obvious inspiration for the excellent Volgarr the Viking.

Still, good stuff overall, just short of 8-Bit greatness.

3/5

My Reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Dunno if you created any save states but that's not far off the end.

Turns out it wasn't ;-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    Any decent ports of Rygar? I remember watching someone in the arcade playing it to a high level to the point where it looked like a different game to when I played it!!!

I know the NES version is completely different and highly regarded.

As far as the arcade version goes, Wikipedia states:
    The game was ported to the Sharp X68000, Commodore 64, Master System (Japan only, and renamed Argus no Juujiken (アルゴスの十字剣)), ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC and the Atari Lynx. It was also included in a compilation of games called Tecmo Classic Arcade for the Xbox. The arcade version was re-released on the Wii Virtual Console.

The bold is probably your best bet.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Rastan Saga II (MD)

Only managed a few levels of of this before giving up, its really not worth playing.

My main gripes are the oversized sprites and poor animation.

Big sprites were a bit of a selling point back in the day, so I can kinda see why they did it. It just makes the playing area feel really cramped like a Master System game ported to the Game Gear.

Gameplay wise its ok in an Altered Beast kinda way, and whilst I have a bit of a soft spot for that, it was never great. Overall its a real shame, this could have been something special, as it is its a curio at best.

1/5

My Reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • A 16 minute playthrough....

Krueger claws wrecked. Big bold sprites that don't really animate at all is quite a look....
  • Wow, I gave up at the 5:25 mark, maybe I should have persevered. The game length makes it even worse, a real early sinker for the MD really.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Rastan doesn't seem to have gained much traction.

If there's no objections shall we move on?

I've always got a list for suggestions, currently I'm thinking:

First Samurai (Amiga, SNES) - This one always seems to pop on on SNES youtube channels as a 'hidden gem'

Second Samurai (Amiga, MD) - Terrible looking sequel to the above

Anyone up for one or both of these?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Thing is, it definitely caught the eye at the time, as retro says.

I wanted Sword of Sodan from screenshots, and doubt I would have been put off by seeing it in motion.  The 'not allowed to watch Conan but you already have' zone was real.

tumblr_pty9fxd0Mm1roqda3o1_r1_640.gifv
  • There was some talk of playing Heart of Darkness on PS1 recently after Monkey played Another World. I'd be up for that or Rygar as Davy suggested up the page a bit.  I'd play First/Second Samurai at some point, but having dabbled on Amiga many years ago I'm convinced they'd be average (at best) without nostalgia.
  • Yeah no probs, I'm happy with either of those. No rush, there's always time down the line.

I get the same vibe as you from those Samurai games. I know it has its fans but I never clicked with much on the Amiga. You can spot an Amiga side scroller a mile away, and it was never a good impression for me.

Cannon Fodder, Monkey Island, Theme Park etc were miles ahead of the console ports, but when it came to platformers or action games I thought it was pretty dire.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!