Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Fantasy Zone 2 is the one to play there. Probably my favourite MS game that.

Also, I wouldn't bother with Cloud Master - it's pretty crap.
  • Eric wrote:
    No probs. I would suggest due to the length of some of those games (pretty short!) you could do a C64 fortnight followed by a Speccy one.

Yeah that's a good idea, we did that with Atari 2600 last year.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hagane and Super Punch Out are quality. Hagane is a tough one though. Always fancied Powerdrive too.

Rainbow Bell Adventures is an interesting one too - think I completed that.

If you want interesting PS1 games - look out Kurushi/Kurushi Final and Power Diggerz.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • We already need to pick and write up a draft schedule moot.

We're essentially in March which only leaves 21 fortnights left in the whole year.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Can I suggest The Firemen on SNES? Never plays it myself, but looks quite interesting.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/firemen/firemen.html
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • Hodgepodge wrote:
    Can I suggest The Firemenon SNES? Never plays it myself, but looks quite interesting. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/firemen/firemen.html

This gets another vote from me, wasn't there another on SNES? The Ignition Factor?

As far as yours go moot I vote:
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive
     Ninja Cop - GBA
    Powerdrive - MD/SNES
     Hagane - SNES

We doing Spectrum, Commodore and another Atari fortnight?

What NES games you fancy?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    If you want interesting PS1 games - look out Kurushi/Kurushi Final and Power Diggerz.

I owned Kurushi Final for a few years - bought it when I worked in Game, probably for £1.99, and sold it when it was wort a few bob.  It was a bit good iirc.

Retro - from your list I quite fancy Street Gangs, Rush n Attack, Tailspin and possibly Jackie Chan.  Isolated Warrior was very good, I remember being surprised by it. 

Not on your list: Power Blade, Journey to Silius, Vice: Project Doom, Little Samson, Kirby's Adventure, Darkwing Duck, Shatterhand, Shadow of the Ninja, Guerrilla War, Pirates!
  • Sorted out the new schedule.  I've tried to be fair to everyone who's suggested games (we had so many NES suggestions I've shoehorned them into two separate months), but I've added three wildcard weeks, either for games that were requested which I overlooked, or stuff we can suggest depending on what we fancy as those weeks appoach.  The 'choose your own' weeks are either weeks or fortnights (depending on whether I made a mistake when sorting the dates out or not); otherwise it's a fortnight per choice.  

Fantasy Zone Free Choice - Various (03/03)
    Super Punch-Out! - SNES (10/03)
    Jurassic Park Free Choice - Various (24/03)
    Atari 2600 High Score Week Returns (31/03)
    The Firemen - SNES (07/04)
    Powerdrive - Various (21/04)
    Obscure NES Month, 5 games (05/05)
    Wildcard Week (02/06)
    Cool Spot - Various (09/06)
    C64 Week - (23/06)
    Blackthorne - Various (30/06)
    Solstice - SNES (14/07)
    Derivative Platformer Fortnight - Various (28/07)
    R-Type III - SNES (11/08)
    Kirby Fortnight - Various (18/08)
    Wonderboy Fortnight - Various (01/09)
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive (15/09)
    Wildcard Week (29/09)
    Pilotwings Fortnight - Various (13/10)
    Prince of Persia - Various (27/10)
    Pinball Week - Various (10/11)
    Wildcard Week - Master System (17/11)
    Obscure NES Month Returns, 5 Games - (24/11)
  • Mighty Bombjack and Rainbow Islands?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Run it up the flagpole nearer one of the wildcard weeks and I'm sure they'll be saluted. I've never played Rainbow Islands for longer than five minutes, so I'd be very interested in that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A splendid lineup. Maybe run a little hi-score comparison for those games that suit? Would add a bit of spice to Fantasy Zone or RType III.....

Rainbow Islands is a splendid game. The Wiiware redux version is shit - avoid. Not sure of Mighty Bombjack - loved the original though. Played that to death on the CPC464.

• Yep, I'm looking forward to everything.  Pinball week should be good for hi-scores too.  Had a sneaky go on a Jaleco NES game called Shatterhand yesterday and was bowled over by the quality.  Really good stuff.

• I'm going to join in this time. I could do with playing a good old fashioned game or two on my commute.
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • Best ever pinball game? Pinball Dreams?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    Best ever pinball game? Pinball Dreams?

Pin-Bot
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Revenge of the Gator?
  • I liked Pinball of the Dead. The one I bought on XBLA was excellent too.
  • dont you find it repetitive?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Digital Pinball (Saturn) and Tilt (PS1 & Saturn) are rather good.

The Pro Pinball games are nice too - Pro Pinball Trilogy on Dreamcast.
  • mk64 wrote:
    dont you find it repetitive?

I guess all pinball games are, and therein lies either their appeal or lack of, which may be why I've never been a huge fan of the genre overall. Some are less repetitive than others, of course, but even with all the bells and whistles you're still trying to stop a ball falling down the Game Over hole across one or two screens. The charm is in the simplicity of great table design.
  • It's certainly addictive playing on an actual table competing with mates for top scores. I had an old 1970s pinball table for a while, last of the electro mechanical solenoids, before they started using chips. I'd still have it if I didn't have to live in a pokey little house.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's been a long time since I played an actual table. A pub I worked in when I was in my 20s had a Twilght Zone which by all accounts is one of the best ever.

In the early days of the arcades there were as many tables as cabinets - I can remember an old fashioned Star Trek machine being particularly good.
  • Since my TV is broken and I can't use the 360 for a few days I thought I'd play some Fantasy Zone 2 on my laptop.

Got to level 5 in a shortish session, which is where it starts getting tough. But I certainly had good taste all those years ago, because it's still an excellent game. Nice visuals and music too. Obviously the MD game looks a lot better but it's much simpler and less engaging (like the original). I used to complete FZ2 regularly as a kid and even remember things like which stuff to buy and where secret shops are. The difficulty curve is just right and there's much more to it than most shooters of the time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've only played the Saturn version - only ever got to level 3. I find it pretty tough.
  • I've never played anything other than the original, which I owned after swapping Champions of Europe (I think) with a boy of low moral fiber from the local estate, who never swapped back.  I did well out of it in terms of quality, but there was a £20 discrepancy in value, which he probably would have taken out of my face if I'd pushed it any further during my doorstep hissy fit.  I later found out he sold it, but more recently I found out he was in prison, so the warning signs were there and all's well that end's well. 

I remember enjoying the fixed-screen bosses - it really was a very good shooter.  I'll start no.2 tomorrow.
  • Played up to level two just now.  It's chunkier and noticeably more advanced than the original - the warp splits in the levels are a nice touch, and the first boss was great.
  • The split levels and warps and the permanent shops are what adds the depth really. In the original you cleared the bases on a single scrolling level and then the boss just automatically appeared. Now you can plan for it better and make sure you grab weapons just before making your way to the boss. Learning how the warps link the different parts of the level can save time there, and is also useful when you've just lost a life and need a shop fast.
  • Pasting this here so I don't lose it, it's time the OP become lass cluttered. 

Week one (03/09): Ristar (Megadrive)
    Week two (10/09): Sunset Riders (Arcade, SNES, Megadrive)
    Week (fortnight) three (17/09): James pond 2: Robocod (various)
    Week four (01/10): Castlevania: Bloodlines (Megadrive).
    Week five (08/10): Duck Tales (NES)
    Week six (15/10): Strider (Arcade, Megadrive)
    Week seven (22/10): Plok (SNES)
    Week eight (29/10): *Play Your Illusion* (take your pick from Sega's excellent Illusion series)
    Week nine (05/11): Snake, Rattle 'N Roll (NES)
    Week ten (12/11): Flashback (Amiga, Megadrive, SNES)
    Week eleven (19/11): Gynoug (Megadrive)
    Week twelve (26/11): Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose (SNES)
    Week thirteen (03/12): Super Aleste (SNES)
    Week fourteen (10/12): Back to the Future III (Megadrive)
    Week fifteen (17/12): Sub-Terrania (Megadrive)
    Week sixteen (24/12): Christmas break
    Week seventeen (31/12): UN Squadron (SNES)
    Week eighteen (14/01): Zero Tolerance (Megadrive)
    Week nineteen (21/01): Out To Lunch (SNES, Amiga)
    Week twenty (28/01): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine, Virtual Console)
    Week twenty one (04/02): Rocket Knight Adventures (Megadrive)
    Week twenty two (11/02): Star Parodier (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty three (18/02): Legendary Axe (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Fortnight twenty four (04/03): Atari 2600 week
    Fortnight twenty five (18/03): Cybernator (SNES)

Fortnight twenty six (01/04): Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3 LOCK-ON! (Megadrive)
    Twenty seven (15/04): Yoshi's Island (SNES, GBA, Downloads)
    Twenty eight (29/04, fortnight): Midnight Resistance (arcade, Megadrive, Amiga etc)
    (13/05, fortnight): Super Metroid (SNES, VC, eshop)
    (27/05, week): Rub Your Own Rhubarb: free choice Retro Batman week
    (03/06, week): Battletoads (NES)

(10/06, week): Budget Master System Week - Action Fighter, Teddy Boy and The Ninja
    (17/06, week): Toki (various)
    (01/07, fortnight): Castlevania IV (SNES)
    (15/07. fortnight): Free choice Parodius
    (29/07, week): Scrolling Beat 'em up free choice
    (05/08, fortnight): El Viento (Megadrive)
    (19/08, fortnight): Yoshi's Story (N64)
    (02/09, week): Rollergames (NES)
    (09/09, fortnight): Actraiser (SNES, VC)
    (23/09, fortnight): Grand Theft Auto (PS, PC)
    (07/10, week): New Zealand story (various)
    (14/10, week): Bitmap Bros free choice (21/10, week)
    Vectorman (MD, compilations)
  • Forty four (week): Fantasy Zone Free Choice (Various)

Originally released as an arcade game in 1986, the original was ported to a number of home consoles, with the Master System port being perhaps the most fondly remembered.  You must guide your craft through a series of levels (each culminating in a boss fight, usually fixed screen iirc), collecting money from enemies you destroy, which can be used to purchase upgrades in the shop. 

Sequels include Fantasy Zone II, Fantasy Zone: The Maze (or simply 'Opa Opa', which is the name of the spacecraft character) and Super Fantasy Zone.  Pick whichever entry you fancy. 

Interestingly, there were two ports for the NES/Famicom, which I only discovered whilst researching this.  One developed by Tengen for the NES:

and one developed by Sunsoft for the Famicom:

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

Fantasy Zone Free Choice - Various (03/03)
    Super Punch-Out! - SNES (10/03)
    Jurassic Park Free Choice - Various (24/03)
    Atari 2600 High Score Week Returns (31/03)
    The Firemen - SNES (07/04)
    Powerdrive - Various (21/04)
    Obscure NES Month, 5 games (05/05)
    Wildcard Week (02/06)
    Cool Spot - Various (09/06)
    C64 Week - (23/06)
    Blackthorne - Various (30/06)
    Solstice - SNES (14/07)
    Derivative Platformer Fortnight - Various (28/07)
    R-Type III - SNES (11/08)
    Kirby Fortnight - Various (18/08)
    Wonderboy Fortnight - Various (01/09)
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive (15/09)
    Wildcard Week (29/09)
    Pilotwings Fortnight - Various (13/10)
    Prince of Persia - Various (27/10)
    Pinball Week - Various (10/11)
    Wildcard Week - Master System (17/11)
    Obscure NES Month Returns, 5 Games - (24/11)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!