Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • I always wanted to have a better go at Clockwork Knight, wasn't there a second one too?
    Could be a suggestion.

I have a PSP with ems/roms now so should be up for this thread.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    for SNES : RType III Third Lightning. Exclusive and lush.

also Prince of Persia and Cool Spot. SNES versions are very nice but the MD got good versions too I guess.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yes Cool Spot.
    I only had a brief go as a kid at my brother's mate's house.
  • I always wanted to have a better go at Clockwork Knight, wasn't there a second one too? Could be a suggestion. I have a PSP with ems/roms now so should be up for this thread.

Clockwork Knight 2 was rather good, despite its length (or lack of).  I think I read once that they were intended as a single release which got chopped in two.  Difficult to get hold or or emulate though (as far as I know...how is Saturn emulation these days?), but both decent games with some nice bosses. 

The MD version of Prince of Persia wasn't all that good according to reviews at the time - the MS version, which I bought at The Future Entertainment show in 1992, was better.  I remember liking the look of the SNES one.  Cool Spot hasn't stood the test of time compared to some of the better Dave Perry/Virgin games, but I'll happily put it on the list, if only for the bonus stage music.

Edit:

• Did we do Jurrasic park here?
    The MD, Snes and Amiga versions all had their strengths.

I have no idea baout Saturn ems Moot, kinda pressumed it woukd be easy.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Also, Megaman X pissed me off so much in the later stages that I'm knocking my score down to 86%.

That's harsh considering the conditions we're playing it under, its no wonder we lost our way with it. If we'd played it continuously not only would we have not lost the feel for it but we'd have picked up on the intricacies of the gameplay.

I'll think of some future suggestions.

I also think we should make everything fortnightly instead of weekly. Will give more people the opportunity to join and also give us more time to juggle it with playing current releases.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I played the MD version of Jurassic Park last year, but I don't think it was tied to the thread, I just fancied it.  The SNES version pooed on it from what I played, but I was always interested in the Mega CD version.
  • I also think we should make everything fortnightly instead of weekly. Will give more people the opportunity to join and also give us more time to juggle it with playing current releases.

Meant to say this myself, despite my desperation to keep it weekly last year.  Makes more sense.
  • Thank god you agreed, I was expecting an argument there.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Saturn emulation is pretty good now - check out SSF. 

I completed the SNES version of Prince of Persia back in the day - it was excellent. Splendid Arabian Nights soundtrack if memory serves and around 20 levels to get through - some exclusive to SNES.

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I played the MD version of Jurassic Park last year, but I don't think it was tied to the thread, I just fancied it.  The SNES version pooed on it from what I played, but I was always interested in the Mega CD version.

All about the sequel on SNES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN7LxkpuOAs

That was impressive for cart back in the day, voice acting sounds naff now though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • From what I plyed JP on the MD was ok, Snes was really good until the unplayable fps bit.

@davyk I will check that out, want me some Clockwork knight now.
  • Thank god you agreed, I was expecting an argument there.

There's nothing stopping me going off-piste myself, makes more sense than rushing everyone else.  2014 is the year of retro gaming and the 3DS for me.  A quick glance at the OP suggests I 'completed' over 30 games in this thread last year; I consider it a personal challenge to beat that.
  • I doubt I'll have time to join in this year. Too many new games to play, especially with the Trials thing and Dark Souls 2 on the horizon. Had a great time with it last year though, and probably played and completed more games than I'd ever managed in any previous year.
  • I always lurked and commented here and there. This time, I'll definitely not have time as I am still playing Dark Souls for first time and then the sequel arrives soon.

Equinox was my suggestion. Enjoy the puzzles, atmosphere, and great Tim Follin soundtrack guys.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd argue Cool Spot is still worth a look - a bit formulaic perhaps - but it did scrape into Super Play's top 100.

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/7464/1450199.html
  • davyK wrote:
    I'd argue Cool Spot is still worth a look

Most platformers are worth a try I reckon, they lend themselves well to this thread.

I'm gonna stick to NES suggestions for the most part. I've enjoyed opening moot's eyes to the delights on the 8Bit Nintendo.

I hope you can all do the same with your console/computer of choice from back in the day for me.

Console wise the Saturn is the only one really I missed out on, then probably the Nintendo handhelds <DS.

My real blind spot is definitely home computers though. Any Amiga, Spectrum classics will be most welcome.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Will have a look at my NESTER ROM list - I spent some time putting that together....the NES import library is full of gems.

Check out Moai Kun for starters - a puzzle/platform hybrid in which you control what looks like an Easter Island head.
  • I haven't played Cool Spot properly since I rented it from Ritz, but the brief time I spent on it when testing an emulator recently suggested that the fizz shot mechanic makes the game feel less accomplished than standard bum-bouncers. I'm not playing devil's advocate here - I'm more than happy to spend a fortnight proving myself wrong, because I have fond memories of the game - but Aladdin/Earthworm Jim and even The Jungle Book raised the bar for well animated Perry platformers imo (although he may have jumped ship before JB come to think of it).

It's a bit like Mickey Mania perhaps - I recently convinced myself that it was a forgotten gem, but played it for half an hour and realised why it was never on par with the majority of other Disney/Sega/Capcom efforts.

It's on the list, I should put this discussion on ice for a while.

• davyK wrote:
    I'd argue Cool Spot is still worth a look - a bit formulaic perhaps - but it did scrape into Super Play's top 100. http://www.rvgfanatic.com/7464/1450199.html

Good link that, I think I will get a few of those |Roms over the weekend, Tiny Toons stands out as one I want to play, I only played the MD version.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    SNES Tiny toons was in the club last year. Superb game and absolutely gorgeous - if there's a game that shows the difference betwen SNES and MD it is this. It's a bit short but it felt epic back in the day. I played it to death - completed it in hard mode with a one hit heart meter. I may have even 1 lifed it.

I'd be up for an HD remake - though it's unnecessary.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I haven't played Cool Spot properly since I rented it from Ritz, but the brief time I spent on it when testing an emulator recently suggested that the fizz shot mechanic makes the game feel less accomplished than standard bum-bouncers. I'm not playing devil's advocate here - I'm more than happy to spend a fortnight proving myself wrong, because I have fond memories of the game - but Aladdin/Earthworm Jim and even The Jungle Book raised the bar for well animated Perry platformers imo (although he may have jumped ship before JB come to think of it). It's a bit like Mickey Mania perhaps - I recently convinced myself that it was a forgotten gem, but played it for half an hour and realised why it was never on par with the majority of other Disney/Sega/Capcom efforts. It's on the list, I should put this discussion on ice for a while.

You may well be right there...maybe have a platformer fortnight with one or two others?
  • I'm up for that. I wonder if games like Aero the Acrobat and Mr. Nutz were actually as bad as some reviews suggested, or if it was just a case of over-saturation with 'mascot' platformers and a touch of 'oh no, not another one' from the Leadbetters and Automatics.
  • I actually really liked Mr. Nutz. It was a solid and well designed game even if it looked pretty derivative at the time. Not a classic of course, but nothing really wrong with it mechanically.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was always under the impression that Mr Nutz was rather good - at least in places.

Do Re Mi Fantasy is worth a look - goes for a mint on cart but got a VC release (untranslated) and I'm sure the ROM is around.
  • Actually, iirc Mr. Nutz did score in the 80%+ range in some mags. Pretend I typed Awesome Possum.
  • From my Commodore 64 home computer era:
    -Skool Daze is definately worth a go if you have never played it before
    -Blue Max has some nice isometric graphics and plane handling
    -Hover Bovver-Minter game about mowing your lawn using you neighbours mower.
    -Green Beret (Great music but rock hard and probably better ports on other systems)
    -Werewolves of London- Never understood what I was supposed to be doing in this but it looked good and it was good fun walking round the subways and roof tops of London.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Nice one @Eric I know of Skool Daze but haven't heard of the others. I'm up for any or all of those moot.

My NES suggestions:
    Rad Gravity
    Street Gangs
    Blaster Master
    Metal Gear - MSX version would be better but I'm up for either or a pick your own version
    Isolated Warrior
    Bionic Commando
    Star Wars
    Life Force
    Wreckin Crew
    Solar Jetman
    Tailspin
    Rush N Attack
    Jackie Chan's Action Kung-Fu
    Kid Icarus

Big list I know but out of my 86 NES games these are ones I either picked up years later or never originally completed. So I'm selfishly picking these to tick off my own check list, at least I'm being honest eh?

There are some decent games in there at least, I'll be happy to play any you guys are up for.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • No probs. I would suggest due to the length of some of those games (pretty short!) you could do a C64 fortnight followed by a Speccy one.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I plan to start playing through some Playstation games I missed this year - Herc's Adventure, Driver, Wild 9, Silhouette Mirage, Future Cop LAPD, Silent Bomber, Colony Wars Vengeance, Sheep Dog 'n Wolf etc - but I'll probably keep them out of this thread because the ROMs aren't as easy to find (or emulate, I guess) as older games. 

I would like to play a few of the following, but it's just brainstorming at the moment (although I've put the ones I particularly fancy in bold):

Cloud Master - Master System
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive
    Elemental Master - Megadrive
    Eathworm Jim II - various (only played this briefly round my mate's gf's)
    Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel - MD/SNES
    Ninja Cop - GBA
    Rainbow Bell Adventures - SNES
    Powerdrive - MD/SNES
    Super Punch Out - SNES
    Hagane - SNES

Super Turrican 2 (or a Turrican fortnight) - SNES (various)

A week dedicated to 8-bit ports of 16-bit titles might be fun too (Road Rash, Streets of rage 2 etc).

I also really, really want to play Shinobi X on the Saturn, but my PC is a mess at the moment and struggles to run WMP. 

Edit: Just noticed Davy's post before the pageturn, yep, I'll change Fantasy Zone into an any version/sequel/spin-off you like week.  I never played The Maze, will probably give that a go.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!