Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • I'll play Legendary Axe so long as you put Kangaroo in.

However, Kangaroo can be completed in minutes. How about we have an Atari 2600 week? 5 games? Any other 4 are good for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It isn't valid to talk about completing a 2600 game - they are all about high score - you see more or less everything within 10 mins of starting a game such is the techie gap now.

Some can be "completed" by rolling the score (Megamania or Kaboom!) - most just reset the score back to zero and carry on.

There are some splendid homebrew efforts like Thrust that have proper levels and can be finished but since they were coded in the last few years can you still call them retro? A member of the Halo dev team has done a 2D version for the 2600....

Many of the better early games are really designed for multi-player too so they are hard to gauge now - Warlords being a prime example. (which is trumped by the modern homebrew Medieval Mayhem)

Others I'd opt for are Demon Attack, Atlantis, Pacman Jr., Super Breakout, Yars Revenge, Keystone Kapers, Pitfall and Pitfall2, Pressure Cooker, River Raid, and Solar Storm (paddle shmup!)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, five 2600 games in a week sounds good.  A mixture of originals and homebrew is fine I reckon, I assume they've still been coded within the constraints of a retro machine.
  • I know what you mean @davyK 10mins is indeed all you need which is why I suggested doing 5. Kangaroo is one of those you can complete, although the emphasis is still on the score. Just like Donkey Kong the game just loops round until you die but I've yet to hear of a Kangaroo kill screen.

How about Sky Skipper moot?

davyK is also correct about the multiplayer aspect of a lot of Atari games, I'd love for Combat to be one of the 5 but it's not practical.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah, five 2600 games in a week sounds good.  A mixture of originals and homebrew is fine I reckon, I assume they've still been coded within the constraints of a retro machine.
    Picking 5 is a good idea - though some might need more if they are harder to please!

Apart from RAM - the newer games use more - but access it using the similar techniques the original devs used (the hardware can only work with banks of 2K or 4K addressable space) - memory was too dear back then but later games used 8K (wow!) and sometimes even more - but it involves shuffling 2K blocks around somehow.

Thrust is stunningly good - it is hard to believe it is running on a 2600 (I run mine usually on the original hardware) as is Medieval Mayhem (which I actually own on custom made cart!) and has a decent AI for 1 player (though multi is FAR better)

When you consider that the 2600 has no screen buffer - the coder actually writes to the screen in harmony with the physical movement of the CRT electron beam - it is a miracle anything was done with it beyond pong and tank (which it was designed for).
  • Sounds interesting. Was that Super Mario Bros port made using these techniques?

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Apart from RAM (extra blocks of 2K) that Mario game will be running under the same limitations as Combat - although there are many newer coding techniques to push the hardware than back in the day.
    Makes you wonder what the newer machines could achieve if devs were given 30-odd years to get to know the hardware.

It's all run off the tin - no OS, no APIs = just assembler handling everything - except for a few features offered by the hardware which can do some collision detection for a limited number of sprites (2 player sprites + 2 missile sprites + 1 ball sprite (I think - a ball may have been one of the missile sprites). There is also a primitive background (known as playfield) registers (they are just a few bits wider than the other sprites).

To have more than 4 foreground objects in a horizontal row at any time you have to multi-plex which causes the trademark 2600 flicker.

The hardware can also do some reflections of playfields in the vertical axis and also scale some pixels on the fly - but it is very limited.

There are a few other registers for sound (2 channel) that makes a noise when values are loaded into them - haven't really studied the sound side of things though.

• davyK wrote:
    Super Aleste - short game - normal difficulty - 1,025,820

Just finished the short game, using an average of 1 save state per level (a few more on the final boss) - 1,173,750.

Obviously I cheated, but I'll probably play this again before Monday to post a proper score, and because I reckon I might be able to finish it without save states on my next go (or the one after perhaps). Basic stuff for shmup fans, as it's clearly a practice mode for the main game, but finishing anything in this genre unassisted is an achievement for me. I did finish Trouble Witches Neo though, but only because it's almost impossible not to with infinite credits. That gaming session was an absolute car crash, I'm sure there was an integral gameplay mechanic I was missing, the last boss was insane.

• How about Sky Skipper moot?

Is that the one I really liked where you rescued animals in a biplane? If so, yes.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    How about Sky Skipper moot?

Is that the one I really liked where you rescued animals in a biplane? If so, yes.

Thats the one
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Super Aleste - short game - normal difficulty - 1,025,820
    Just finished the short game, using an average of 1 save state per level (a few more on the final boss) - 1,173,750. Obviously I cheated, but I'll probably play this again before Monday to post a proper score, and because I reckon I might be able to finish it without save states on my next go (or the one after perhaps). Basic stuff for shmup fans, as it's clearly a practice mode for the main game, but finishing anything in this genre unassisted is an achievement for me. I did finish Trouble Witches Neo though, but only because it's almost impossible not to with infinite credits. That gaming session was an absolute car crash, I'm sure there was an integral gameplay mechanic I was missing, the last boss was insane.

The short game really is very basic - the main game has a lot more to it and is pretty varied too - with weapon selection being vital. It's a pity there's no way of selecting a level so you can see more. I really like the music too.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Super Aleste? I may have to roll out ZSnes...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I've played the first three levels of the normal mode now, as I decided just playing the short version wouldn't be fair to such a good game.  Level two, with the rotating/zooming space station, WOW.  Great use of Mode 7, extremely good looking stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - level 2 is a cracker.

Another favourite of mine sees you shooting through a maze of rock - the boss scrapes rocks off the side walls and chucks them at you - great stuff.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    ARGH!

Shit is like rolling a loaded die!!!

Hypnotic though... davyK's comment on the music sticks too... It fits well...
    Certainly fits better than this random weapon selection scheme, anyway.

I really shouldn't play twitch games when on smash.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I'm getting used to the weapons, I quite like the near constant option to change. I'm currently trying to avoid everything except spread (or whatever the one with the pods is called), which is great when powered up, or the power/charge weapon, which I try to hang onto for the bosses, although not all the levels have a guardian. Multi direction shot is wank.

I'm dreading playing Back to the Future III again. I played it for an hour earlier in the week and wondered if if was one of those games that couldn't be completed, as even with save states I couldn't jump from the train to the DeLorean.
  • I think Circle and Laser are overpowered. Or at least felt like it when I played it fully in 1993 or whenever.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Remember that pressing R shoulder affects your current weapon - you can select from several different spread patterns with multi-direction shot which can become very effective once you power up sufficiently.

It will toggle a homing function with laser and with circle it locks position (same with the little pods - called sprite - R button will toggle between locking them in position and having them swarm around you when you move)
  • Week fourteen: Back to the Future III (Megadrive)

Prepare yourselves for an excessively poor movie tie-in from the early 90s.  You must guide Emmett Lathrop 'Doc' Brown and Marty McFly through four short - yet agonisingly awful - stages culminating in a spot of time travel.  Probe Software decided variety would convince easily pleased children to overlook any gameplay flaws, and therefore chucked a memory based obstacle course, a shooting gallery, an isometric plate throwing section and a platform shooter into one stinking pot and branded it with the BttF logo.  Swoon at the awesum graphics, marvel at the authentic reimagining of the movie theme and guffaw at the unresponsive controls, whilst thanking Hodge for this stupendous suggestion. 

All joking aside (and please don't take my word for it - perhaps I've misjudged it), more shit games would be very welcome, as I've thoroughly enjoyed moaning about my early play-through of this.  It's genuinely one of the worst games I've ever played.  

_-Back-to-the-Future-Part-III-Sega-Megadrive-_.jpg

Play and discuss, or just simply reminisce.  

Schedule:

Week fifteen (17/12): Sub-Terrania (Megadrive)
    Week sixteen (24/12): Christmas break
    Week seventeen (31/12): UN Squadron (SNES)
    Week eighteen (07/01): Zero Tolerance (Megadrive)
    Week nineteen (14/01): Out To Lunch (SNES, Amiga)
    Week twenty (21/01): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine, Virtual Console)
    Week twenty one (21/01): Rocket Knight Adventures (Megadrive)
    Week twenty two (28/01): Star Parodier (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty three (04/02): Legendary Axe (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty four (11/02): Atari 2600 week.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Fantasia on Megadrive is legendary for it's crapness and vertical difficulty curve....
  • I played a bit of that during the choose your Illusion week, it was terrible.  Three stars Sega Power used to give that in The Hard Line, the dirty graphics whores.   Mickey Mania was also a bit more annoying than I remember, despite looking lovely.
  • Mwahahaha!!;)
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • davyK wrote:
    Fantasia on Megadrive is legendary for it's crapness and vertical difficulty curve....
    Don't remind me. I made the mistake of buying that before the reviews were out, assuming it would be like the other Mickey game... It took a few minutes to realise I'd bought a turd, but had no choice put a brave face on and try and get my £40's worth. I may have even finished it out of sheer stubborness, while lying to myself that it wasn't that bad.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That was the way it was - a game was hefty investment then.

I had a natural aversion to licenced stuff back then which meant I dodged most the crap - also meant I missed out on the odd gem but overall it was the thing to do - I'm still pretty wary of anything with a licence.

I got Fantasia a few years back - think it is still kicking around - and I couldn't believe how hard it was - especially given the subject matter. Not that big a deal when you paid just a couple of quid - a £40 game back in the early 90s is another matter.
  • The £40 thing has played on my mind a fair bit when playing these games. Even the better Mickey Mouse games, fantastic as they undeniably were at the time, seem so short I can't believe I ever thought they represented good VFM at £40. Obviously a lot of the time it wasn't my cash, so there was an element of a little shit not giving a shit, but with infinite continues and not much challenge, that's almost a pound per minute. I like games less now, but I'd wager there are a few marketplaces demos that offer more gametime.
  • Good games would get played through again and again even once you finished them. I must've finished something like Contra 3 in a week, but would still go through again from time to time months later. Or there were difficult games where each session would see you get a little further, always having to start from the beginning when continues ran out. Probably wouldn't bother with either now, and it shows how things have changed that save states are pretty much a requirement.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It is easy to forget what 20 years does to expectations..  2600 games cost £30 over a decade earlier than the £40 SNES/Megadrive game,
  • Even when there was infinite continues it didn't help you if it was bath/bed/dinner/lunch/school/visit to shit family member time.
  • Just finished my game of Super Aleste from last week, as I couldn't face a second playthrough of BttFIII yet (even though I found out what I did wrong on GameFAQs). I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to scrolling shooters, but surely this is an insanely long game? It must have talen three hours to finish, at least, and that's with save states. By the end of the game the difficulty had been ramped right up and I can state with 100% certainty that I wouldn't have been able to see the credits without cheating. A might fine game though, just a touch bloated perhaps and well beyond my capabilities (the first half eases you in though tbf).

89%. If it had ended a couple of levels earlier I may have added two points to the score. Good VFM though, there's a good forty quid's worth of game there.
  • Many years ago, me and my mates were still being enthralled by emulators. We had a pretty decent suite of Genesis/Megadrive games that all worked perfectly (56k and smaller internet landscape made the kind of rom collections that roll off the drive today a lot harder to compile.) One game was different however, that game was Back to the Future III. For some reason this was the hardest game ever designed and it was only one level, well we thought it was only one level. You were riding a horse that clopped around 100mph and the game was lost usually in around the first 10 seconds of play.

It became a challenge game, a regular on the roster (the gatherings were based around Money Idol(Puzzle) Exchanger but I used to like to throw on Dick Tracy on the megadrive as it was one of the few game I could beat on Normal pretty handily, there was a second monitor for the other side of the room and it was incredibly surreal seeing way-too-cool girls I was into at some parties, watching me play Dick Tracy like it was some bizarre tv show. "Hey, look there's Madonna!")

It wasn't until quite some time later that I realised this BttF was a faulty rom, the sound, which would have been a tip off played at normal speed. The game could be played on normal speed, but damn did it lose its edge. I still remember getting so close through a combination of luck and memorisation. You could even see where you were in relation to Clara on the bottom of the screen, "oh, smashed into birds so fast they couldn't be shot again". That game will always remind me of a happy time in my tumultuous teenage years.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!