• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I wonder how many times I would have sat through that Wonderman video for the snippets of Sonic 3 footage if I'd had it on VHS before the game launched.  Probably dozens.  I was thinking about it today, and I reckon Sonic 3 was the most I've ever looked forward to a game - I certainly bought a record number of mags in one month to read about it (all of them).  A fuller list of the games I've gone a bit mad for leading up to their release: Sonic The Hedgehog (MS), SFII: Special Championship Edition, Sonic 3, Landstalker, Virtua Fighter II, Dark Savior, Zelda OOT, Shenmue, Ecco DC, Halo 3 and Trials Evolution.

It is a spectacular looking game - can only imagine the impact it had back in the day. I felt the same way about Yoshi's Island when the blurb hit the press.

I can also remember being really stoked for New Tetris on N64 for some reason - and it took ages to come out - delay after delay.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I haven't looked forward to anything the way your describing since 1998, I envy you. I'm a cynical bastard these days.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    I felt the same way about Yoshi's Island when the blurb hit the press.

Yoshi's Island is next week's game - I'm charging the GB Micro as I type.  I was terribly jealous of it as a Megadrive owner. 

I was keen on an American multiformat magazine called Diehard Gamefan that my local newsagent stocked, which was infectiously enthusiastic about pretty much everything.  Their review system was the old-school percentages style, but they gave each game three scores, from three different reviewers, Famitsu style.  A few years ago I could still remember the scores most mags gave many 16-bit titles, but my memory is fading....I can remember that at least one of their reviewers gave Yoshi's Island 100% though (Landstalker and Streetfighter Alpha are the only other games I remember receiving a perfect score from any of their staff), which turned me into a spotty little green eyed monster. 

The GBA was like my first retro machine, in a way, which is why I'm so fond of the console.  It was my first access to the many of the classic titles: Mario 3, Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Super Ghouls n Ghosts, DKC, Zelda: LttP etc.  Yoshi's Island is one of the best games I've ever played.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    YI is pretty special. I could only ever "100pt" world 1 though....I'll probably spend next week trying to 100pt the other worlds - still have the original SNES cart I got back then.
  • I 100 pointed every level in it. Amazing game, definitely one of the all time best 2D platformers.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • As usual, I only played the levels required to see the credits, and probably perfected nothing along the way. If I've still got my save slot I might use the next two weeks to go through the hidden exits/levels using Gamefaqs. I'm also going to dig out that copy of Gamefan to see how many perfect scores they gave it (and probably spend five hours reading every other mag stored under my stairs too).
  • Back to Sonic 3 - superb stuff.

It's slowly starting to pull me in. I'm now on Launch Base Zone. How far am I into the game? Have I done the Sonic 3 levels yet or am I on Knuckles?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You know - I've been too much of a gaming butterfly for these past few years - time I stuck at something - Yoshis Island is probably the last game of that style I completed (at least got to the end!).

Need to get stuck in this week on Sonic 3.
  • Back to Sonic 3 - superb stuff. It's slowly starting to pull me in. I'm now on Launch Base Zone. How far am I into the game? Have I done the Sonic 3 levels yet or am I on Knuckles?
    Launch Base is the last level of Sonic 3, barring end of game boss stuff.

The Megadrive Sonic games are my most cherished of gaming memories. Some of the music in those games is damn incredible and the spritework is glorious.
  • Might as well link to my fave tunes from the 3/S&K levels:

Maybe not quite as consistent as Sonic 2 overall, but these three stood out for me.
  • The first two are particularly fucking mindblowing.

Flying Battery is so beast.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yoshi's Island is one of the best games I've ever played.

Yes.

Easily the best 2D platformer ever made.

Skates into my all time top 5 without a doubt. 
    Might well be Miyamoto's single best piece of work.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's still a toss up between Yoshi's Island and Super Mario World for me ... YI is a bit more linear than SMW - that over world map is a thing of beauty - though YI's level design and goals are a bit more imaginative in places.
  • Retro - do you want me to let Sonic run for another week? I'm not fussed, might as well give you time to finish it as you're halfway through.

If so, I'll probably use this week to play Sonic 2 on the Master System, which I always disliked but I'm told isn't bad at all.
  • Is it ok to play YI on the ambassador 3ds version? Is it different to the snes version or a direct port? Will start tonight.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

I'm led to believe that all versions are the same.....
  • good shit, then i'll be doing my first properly play through starting this evening. 

Any tips? I think I started the game once and played a level or two but never continued.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • It eases you in quite gently iirc. It's not your standard head bopping fare though, because of the egg firing mechanics/bubble Mario stuff.
  • yes, i remember egg firing and it being a bit fiddly no?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's two control schemes for egg firing that you select in options - you either press fire and hold down while aiming and then release - or use a two press scheme - press, aim , then press again to fire.

I found egg firing just fine control-wise - and there's a way to cancel firing but I think my muscles remember it better than I do....

Yeah - less jumping on heads - more egg firing , ground stomping and flutter jumping.

Bear in mind there's a lot of destructable platforms when egg throwing which can reveal hidden stuff - watch out when standing on destructable platforms when egg firing or ground stomping!!

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Retro - do you want me to let Sonic run for another week? I'm not fussed, might as well give you time to finish it as you're halfway through.

If so, I'll probably use this week to play Sonic 2 on the Master System, which I always disliked but I'm told isn't bad at all.

Na just stick with the schedule, thanks anyway. People here seem ready for YI and I don't want to stand in the way of that. I played that to death back in the day.

I'll try and finish Sonic tonight and will play some YI with everyone else.

@mk64 the GBA YI only really suffers from 2 face buttons instead of the 4 on the SNES. SNES is definitely the better version but you won't lose much playing the handheld port.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Put Sonic 2 MS up for future play? I got that one before 1 on MS and it's always been my prefered 8Bit Sonic.

So far Sonics for me are:
    1MD>2MD>2MS>1MS>ADVANCE1
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Oh go on then:

Proper 2D Sonic games: Sonic 2 (MD), Sonic 1 (MS), Sonic 3+Knuckles (MD), Sonic 1 (MD), Sonic Advance 2 (GBA), Sonic Advance (GBA), Sonic Rush (DS), Sonic 4 (XBLA).

Only listing the ones I've finished. Never played Sonic CD. I possibly didn't finish Rush though, as my overriding memory of it is of the bastard hard final boss.
  • Yeah I never finished Rush so didn't include it. Was good I thought though, also never finished Advance 2,3 or Chaos on MS.

I got CD on PSN - you fancy coming up and playing through it together?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Wouldn't mind giving it a go. Remember I've still got that sealed copy of Generations though....
  • is sonic like mario that by the time 3 came out you kind knew where there would be secret stuff? Its almost like a 6th sense.
  • Secrets in Sonic were a bit tame tbh. The odd extra life or hidden shield in walls, nothing fantastic, and no hidden levels. Sonic 3 had more hidden areas because you actually had to find the hidden giant rings to enter the bonus stages (Sonic 1 on MS also had emeralds hidden in the levels rather than bonus stages).
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Oh go on then: Proper 2D Sonic games: Sonic 2 (MD), Sonic 1 (MS), Sonic 3+Knuckles (MD), Sonic 1 (MD), Sonic Advance 2 (GBA), Sonic Advance (GBA), Sonic Rush (DS), Sonic 4 (XBLA). Only listing the ones I've finished. Never played Sonic CD. I possibly didn't finish Rush though, as my overriding memory of it is of the bastard hard final boss.
    For me... (all MD unless noted)

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Sonic 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic CD (Mega CD)

Sonic 4 (urgruhgrhgur)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Secrets in Sonic were a bit tame tbh. The odd extra life or hidden shield in walls, nothing fantastic, and no hidden levels. Sonic 3 had more hidden areas because you actually had to find the hidden giant rings to enter the bonus stages (Sonic 1 on MS also had emeralds hidden in the levels rather than bonus stages).

I'm really not keen on this, I much prefer the way you get them in 1 and 2.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One of the excellent things about Mario games are the riffs based on previous secrets.....for example if you repeat the trick to get to the 1st SMB1 warp zone in Lost Levels you get a somewhat stunted warp zone.

There isn't any real pattern to hidden exits or warps in Mario games which is one of its strengths...of course there is some repetition - but using the same tricks won't get you far in later games.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!