• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think I've got some VC points left over, I'll probably just bite the bullet. Does anyone know if it has infinite continues?

I'll check later...

checked - the game has 3 save slots that are supported by the vc so you are sorted. It sounds lovely btw...

It's a tough wee bast - even for Castlevania. I had a game save starting at level 3 and it takes no nonsense from you at that point. 

It looks a bit rough around the edges in places - and looks excellent in others - but it plays really well. My main issue is the first Castlevania I played was IV on the Super NES and you really miss being able to whip in 8 directions but it was the only game in the series I've played that allowed that so i have to expect limited whip control here really.

Using Maria does make a big difference if I remember rightly too - almost like having an easy difficulty level option.

This one is different from others I've played in that some holes you can fall down offer shortcuts and alternate paths.

The PC-Engine would have been a mind-blowing console to have back in the day - it punches way above its weight.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hmmmmmm...stuck on the Minotaur boss - but there's a little facility that lets you watch how to defeat bosses - you need to pay to watch them using the game's own currency...will have another go at him now.

Castlevania bosses are usually quite easy (apart from Dracula) - and the main challenge comes from the levels - but this game seems to crank the bosses up a tad which is no bad thing.

This is a pretty cool game - lots more presentation values than later games.
  • Yeah the bosses are tough in this. Death on the pirate ship I remember having trouble with. I could perfect the level by the end because of dying on him so many times.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah the bosses are tough in this. Death on the pirate ship I remember having trouble with. I could perfect the level by the end because of dying on him so many times.

hes a right dick.
  • I completed Rocket Knight Adventures this week - next week's game - so I'll have a crack at Rondo on the VC in the next few days.  I actually managed to lose my Wii, which I've now found (girlfriend had put it under the stairs with my old magazines when the Wii U took its place, and had no recollection of doing so).
  • davyK wrote:
    Castlevania bosses are usually quite easy (apart from Dracula)

Circle of the Moon bosses were rather challenging. And Lament of Innocence had a couple of challengers too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have never really spent much time on the handheld Castlevanias - should get into them really. Don't really like handheld gaming but I have a GBA adaptor for the Gamecube - think GBA got a fair few good ones.

The final boss on the WiiWare game - Castlevania Rebirth - is a complete bastard - still haven't defeated that one. Very nice game by the way - a bit short but worth a look.

• The best castlevania on the gba is the last one. In fact you can get a cart with both of the last two (out of three) gba vanias.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah the bosses are tough in this. Death on the pirate ship I remember having trouble with. I could perfect the level by the end because of dying on him so many times.

hes a right dick.

Death usually is a bit of a pain - took a fair few goes getting by him in C IV.

• The best castlevania on the gba is the last one. In fact you can get a cart with both of the last two (out of three) gba vanias.
    Was that Order of Ecclesia? I thought that was the worst.
  • That might have been on the ds. I think that came after the one where you jump through paintings. The first one on ds is probably also the best because its basically a rework of the last gba one. (dawn of souls I think it was called, to fit with the naming convention given to all early ds games)
  • Week twenty one: Rocket Knight Adventures (Megadrive, Virtual Console)

Konami's stunning Megadrive platformer from 1993, designed by Nobuya Nakazato, of Contra fame.  Well received at the time, as much for its occasionally ingenious gameplay mechanics as its stunning graphics.  You must guide Sparkster through seven stages in an attempty to rescue his ladyfriend the evil Devilgus.  Predominantly a platformer (with a few shmup style stages), you can also change up your jet pack to propel yourself forwards.  Good luck!

Rocket-knight-adventure.jpg

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce. 

Schedule:

Week twenty two (11/02): Star Parodier (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty three (18/02): Legendary Axe (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty four (25/02): Atari 2600 week
    Week tenty five (04/03): Cybernator (SNES)
    Week twenty six (11/03): Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3 LOCK-ON! (Megadrive)
    Week twenty seven (18/03): Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    Week twenty eight: 25/03): Midnight Resistance (arcade, Megadrive, Amiga etc)
    Week twenty nine (01/04): Rub you own Rhubarb: Retro Batman week (various).
  • That might have been on the ds. I think that came after the one where you jump through paintings. The first one on ds is probably also the best because its basically a rework of the last gba one. (dawn of souls I think it was called, to fit with the naming convention given to all early ds games)
    Ah yes, I was confusing GBA with DS there.
  • davyK wrote:
    The final boss on the WiiWare game - Castlevania Rebirth - is a complete bastard - still haven't defeated that one. Very nice game by the way - a bit short but worth a look.

It's shocking how few people know about his game. I can only imagine the coverage it would have got as a psn/xbla game - shame as like you say it's a very nice game.

Anyone playing Rocket Knight Adventures? Moot you got Castlevania yet?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I finished Rocket Knight yesterday, superb game, will post thoughts later.  I've only got points for one VC game, which I was thinking of saving for Star Parodier (otherwise I won't be able to play that either), so I was hoping to get a go of Rondo at the NES day.  Old buddy old pal.  Let me have a few goes on it and I'll bring that crate of Coors....
  • I played and finished Legendary Axe (bit soon, I know). I enjoyed it, but it's pretty simple compared to MD/SNES stuff. I remember the whole thing so I must have finished it when I had the original PC Engine version, and it was certainly the sort of thing I could get stuck into back then. Basically it's learning enemy locations and attack patterns and the best way to deal with each type. Not too long, never really frustrating, and you always get a bit further each try. This time of course it was save states aplenty and whizzed through in a couple of hours.

Still a 7/10 or thereabouts.
  • Rocket Knight Adventures

I had this for a while back in the mid 90s.  I remember liking it, but was quite sucked in by the whole Treasure/Gunstar Heroes hype in the Sega mags, so I always insisted that was the better game.  As much as I like Gunstar (and admittedly they aren't even that similar, though comparisons were made at the time) after playing through RKA this week I'd say Konami's game edges it. 

It's a bit short, as seems de rigueur for quality Megadrive platformers in hindight, although at seven full levels the length is passable.  There are some absolutely brilliant sections, most notably the obligatory lava level (yes, there's also a minecart stage), where Sparkster is obscured by foliage and you have to judge your jumps using your reflection on the rising tide. 

Little touches like this elevate the game to 'classic' status for me; this is more than just a very good 16-bit title.  I remember reading that the game was censored slightly for western release, a la Streets of Rage III, so it would have been nice to get hold of the Japanese ROM.  The Japanese normal mode was renamed easy for the PAL release, but it was still tricky enough to provide a challenge.  Graphics and sound top notch, controls spot on, it all rattles along nicely and there's plenty of variety.  One of the best games on the Megadrive.

93% 
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Loved RKA, great soundtrack. Percentages though? Really? In 2013?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    It's shocking how few people know about his game. I can only imagine the coverage it would have got as a psn/xbla game - shame as like you say it's a very nice game.

I really like the Contra Rebirth too. The Gradius Rebirth is nice but not as good as C'vania and Contra.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Loved RKA, great soundtrack. Percentages though? Really? In 2013?

I'm pretending it's 1993 in this thread, and reviewing games on the Mean Machines Sega scale.  Retroking has been going for the mid-90s CVG high five.

Edit: Those two sentences didn't seem quite so nerdy until I re-read them.
  • Super Play was the best. Consequently, we need scores for graphics, sound, gameplay and gamelife too.

Nah, 1,3 then 2 (GBA). On DS, Dawn was good, then rest were shit.
  • Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine)

Excellent platformer with fantastic level design. I'm a fan of linear platformers but the multiple pathways in this game are genius and add to the reply value. Classic Castlevania arguably at its best and another 90's gem from Konami.

5/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sorry for the late review, I still say 1 game per week is a bit much.

Just done the first half hour of Rocket Knight Adventures, very impressed. Will skip Star Parodier next week and carry on with this.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    The best castlevania on the gba is the last one. In fact you can get a cart with both of the last two (out of three) gba vanias.

Nah, 1,3 then 2 (GBA). On DS, Dawn was good, then rest were shit.

my problem with circle of the moon (the first one) is probably more an issue with being able to see anything on the screen.
  • Just done more RKA. Superb game, Konami really were amazing in the 80s/90s!

Great little nod to Gradius on one of the mid level boss battles on stage 5. On stage 6 now, not sure how long it is but I'm sure that Konami Mega Drive curse will cut this one short too.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • You've got one level left. Isn't the first boss also a nod towards a Contra boss? I thought it was familiar (the way it comes through holes in the ceiling/walls in various places), but can't remember where I recognised it from.

Edit: Google results seem to suggest there's an homage to the waterfall boss in the original Contra, but I've just Youtubed it and that's not the one I meant. Maybe I'm not thinking of Contra at all.
  • Rocket Knight Adventures (MD)

This may start to sound boring now but again... another Konami classic. Everything about this game is pretty much spot on for me, solid responsive controls, great graphics and sound and good learning curve. Maybe a tad on the short side but I'll forgive it for that.

5/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The VC Megadrive (and NeoGeo!) games run at 50Hz for reasons known only to Nintendo so I've stayed away from those ....RKA looks to be a cracker - but then Konami were in a purple patch in the MD/SNES days.

I see the 2600 week approaches....I'll suggest a few here as we'd need at least one a day for the week. Pity we can't go for paddle games as the mouse and emu is a very poor substitute. The 2600 was all about multi-player too - so those have to be missed out as well.

H.E.R.O
    Demon Attack
    Pressure Cooker
    Yars' Revenge
    Berzerk
    Keystone Kapers
    Megamania
    Missile Command
    Realsports Volleyball
    River Raid
    Frostbite
  • As far as Atari goes I'd suggest:
    Missile Command
    Jr. Pac-Man
    Ms Pac-Man
    Space Invaders
    Pitfall
    Sky Skipper
    Frogger
    Donkey Kong
    Centipede
    Mario Bros
    Defender
    Pac-Man
    Asteroids
    Atlantis

will have a look at my Carts tomorrow and see what else I have

@davyK seems to know his stuff though so maybe his choices will be better, although I'll probably play the lot.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!